HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:34 AM
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
my boat needs some help

I am building a boat out of balsa wood.
Completed the structure but very new to painting it.

I have got these: Primer, Sand paper, premium gloss enamel, laquer clear, automotive paint.

Now please tell me how to do i use these to paint my boat (step by step plz). I can't get anything extra.

Thanks.
devansh is offline Find More Posts by devansh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:49 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,503 Posts
Hi D,

What kind of boat did you build?
What size, what weight?

If it's intended to run fast and weight and size are something to recon with, adding one (or more) layers of glasscloth and epoxy is advicable to prevent damage to the hull simply from bashing over/through the waves.

Please post some pictures of your creation and add some measurements.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:31 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
610 Posts
Painting Info

Did you first epoxy or anything the bottom of boat?I used West Systems resin to lock in my turn fins(if you have them) and strut.Make sure epoxy or resin has fully dryed,sand with 600 grit sandpaper.Then prep the hull by making sure it is not dirty in anyway(finger prints etc.)and make sure the hull is relatively smooth.I mean that 60 grit sandpaper or something like that wasn't used because those deep scratches will show through paint especially if it is white.All I used was gloss enamel on my boat and everything seems fine.Of course I used primer first(on top of epoxy or resin).Give it at least two coats primer (letting each coat dry first)then shoot it with the enamel paint.Just be sure boat and paint are at room temperature(not sure if you are in a cold garage like mine) then put on a layer,wait for that to completely dry then do another coat.Let each coat dry completely(don't apply enamel paint to previous coat if even tacky because it could run or worse bubble on you).Not sure why you have automotive paint also.Are you painting it two colors?As far as the lacquer goes I haven't had the need to shoot it over my hull.This is what worked for me.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid