HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Discussion
Heli NOOOB...lol

OK well not really a noob just a noob to real helis. I just got my Blade 120 sr in and am working on setting it up with my DX6i. I was hoping someone could sum up what settings if any I need to change? and do I need to set up as Achro or Heli?

Thanks for the help.

Remember NOOB so Keep it as simple as possible...lol,
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,699 Posts
ACRO is fine and there's nothing you really need to set. You don't need any special settings for a simple 4 channel FP heli.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
k ty
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,452 Posts
imo id use a heli model so you can set up throttle hold good habit to get in to now
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
any changes to be made in the heli mode?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:23 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
imo id use a heli model so you can set up throttle hold good habit to get in to now
Good advice. I absolutely rely on TH so much that I want it for my elec planes. I have contemplated setting up a plane in heli mode for this feature alone.

I've accidently bumped the throttle while not ready many,many times. Shoot, I switch to TH every time I spool my 450 down to make a radio adjustment, answer a question, do a safety check, etc and I do not take it out of TH until my fingers are on the throttle stick.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,452 Posts
you can set up throttle cut work like hold in airplane mode on the DX8 any way
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:14 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
As a fellow newbie I am using the John Salt settings (http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html) on my DX6i for the 120 SR but if you search this forum (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265101) there is a lot of useful information and I am sure you can find some basic settings in here.

For me, D/R and Expo are a must indoors, most of the others you could probably get away without.
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Last edited by KYChopper; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
you can set up throttle cut work like hold in airplane mode on the DX8 any way
Is it a switch on the DX8? On the DX6i it's a pushbutton next to the ail d/r switch.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/SPM6610.html

It's designed to kill the engine on gas motors so you press and hold it until the motor stops then let go. You have to hold it down to keep the throttle cut on electrics.

I read a post where someone replaced the pushbutton with a single pole switch to keep it on hold. I'm not against taht but think I may try setting a plane up in heli mode first.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,452 Posts
yes i can assign it to any switch on the DX8
in heli mode you can even have both a cut and hold so you can do autos and still have a way to kill the engine for nitro gas helis
if you have the money i really would upgrade to the DX8 is such a better radio then the 6i
if you already have a few models youll be much happier
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
370 Posts
There is a throttle hold switch on my DX6i. and that throttle cut button. I have no idea what that button is for. Nitro?
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
There are some menu differences between ACRO and HELI models.

HELI introduces the swash type and various curves depending on the swash type selected.

ACRO introduces wing types.

I'd choose HELI because the throttle curve can be adjusted and throttle hold is activated.

Even without CCPM, it can be fun to adjust the throttle curve and maybe set two curves and switch between them (norm can be low rpm for taking off).
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
medic 45

This is what you need to do
The only REAL thing you need to do for set up is to make sure all your trims are set to the center
If you are flying and notice that it is woundering too much one way there is two things you can do.1) adjust your trims to center the heli.If that doesn't work go into your sub-trims and ajust it.If the heli is tilting to the right lets say go into the sub-trim and adjust the aileron to the left a bit till it straightens up.same thing goes for too much forward, backwards.If the heli is going too much one way subtrim it the other way.Like a weight scale to ballance the trays.

For the d?r set it to 50% and use the aileron switch.The reason for the aileron switch is because near the throttle is not used AS much as the aileron or elevator
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:16 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
if you have the money i really would upgrade to the DX8 is such a better radio then the 6i
if you already have a few models youll be much happier
Agreed. I have more than 10 models but no hobby money at the moment.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
OK so here is the deal. I took the 120 out on her out side maiden flight. I dont think that Helis are for me..lol I was trying to turn it around and having some issues with using this crazy left thumb for rudder control WHAM BAM SMACK Dang it. broke a main blade. So no she sits in the box while I debate ordering some more blades or selling her off and getting another plane. I really am wanting to do the Heli thing since basically it doesnt take up much room and Im not having to drive to the local club an hour away. But Its driving me NUTS.... I use Phoenix and can fly fairly well or at least i think i can on the larger 450's but even in there the 120 gives me fits ALOT of crashes.. Any thoughts or Ideas. FYI no heli trainer CLOSE..