HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
You are suppose to power on TX first then RX or Heli anyway.
+1 on that, I didn't even catch that part rofl! Always turn radio on before RC vehicle
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Odd, I updated to 0.6 firmware the second it came out and I have yet to experience that one... You have throttle set in your failsafe? Could be some odd thing, I can't think of anything else .
I have it set to L100 and the rest 0
distortionist is offline Find More Posts by distortionist
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
+1 on that, I didn't even catch that part rofl! Always turn radio on before RC vehicle
Really? I never knew... I have been doing whatever goes since I put a fixed bind ID in. The older firmware never did that! I think I had firmware 0.3..

But it does not seem to do it when the transmitter is already on.
distortionist is offline Find More Posts by distortionist
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, MI, East Lansing
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Why do people care about telemetry? Sounds like another gadget to me. Last I checked the only people using it was FPV and multicopters at least for a reason. I don't see myself going wow my GCP went 300ft after I lost it at 100 lol!
Yes but what about the GPS function, so that when you crash in your living room you can find out that your heli is actually behind the tv....again.

Temp and Voltage signal alerts could be useful. Could save motor life or alert to other possible problems. Probably wasted on micro's where weight of sensors would actually come in to play though. Either way, those with a Devo paid for upgrade ability, so let's have it
airbasher is offline Find More Posts by airbasher
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I plan to install the upgrade, it's only $20, and I think $60 for the onboard unit, now they just need a way to break out the data somehow to a PC, and or a video in/out so you can have a ground based OSD .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,641 Posts
Quote:
With the Genius you have to plug the battery into the RX on the heli FIRST, then turn on the TX. Once the red led stops blinking I move the cyclic full right and then give it a full quick 360 turn and the heli will bind properly...solid green in 3 axis, solid red in 6 axis.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbasher View Post
Yes but what about the GPS function, so that when you crash in your living room you can find out that your heli is actually behind the tv....again.

Temp and Voltage signal alerts could be useful. Could save motor life or alert to other possible problems. Probably wasted on micro's where weight of sensors would actually come in to play though. Either way, those with a Devo paid for upgrade ability, so let's have it
Or stuck in the couch again! lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MD500E 600 size build
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
With the Genius you have to plug the battery into the RX on the heli FIRST, then turn on the TX. Once the red led stops blinking I move the cyclic full right and then give it a full quick 360 turn and the heli will bind properly...solid green in 3 axis, solid red in 6 axis.

That may be the case for a BL setup on a GCP but a brushed setup on my GCP and all my other Walkera's most are BL, TX first then RX always work for me.

Regards,
John
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
I just checked everything, and they are at 0. It is the first time I plugged the heli in after the update, it has never done that before... weird. It's a Devo 8, and if the devo is on, and I turn on the heli, it doesn't do it.. But if I turn the heli on first, then the devo, as soon as it binds it goes full throttle for about 1 seconds before it starts acting normally.

Almost chopped off my fingers!!
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
You are suppose to power on TX first then RX or Heli anyway.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Why do people care about telemetry? Sounds like another gadget to me. Last I checked the only people using it was FPV and multicopters at least for a reason. I don't see myself going wow my GCP went 300ft after I lost it at 100 lol!
I once had telemetery on one of my Rc cars.
The one time I took my eyes off the car to check my motor temp' on the tx screen I smacked it right into a car wheel.
There's no way I would even dream of using it while up in the air.
It's just asking for disaster imo.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,259 Posts
After setting up the head all level and correct I was able to get it in the open at work and really have some fun. It is nice being able to piro and the heli stay in one spot instead of before taking off in one direction and fast.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MD500E 600 size build
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
982 Posts
GCP Manual

Manual even states when starting flight TX first then connect power to your helicopter. When finishing flight disconnect power to helicopter first and then turn transmitter off last.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
The one time I took my eyes off the car to check my motor temp' on the tx screen I smacked it right into a car wheel.
I often glance at my timer on screen, even more so when flying planes, though no I would not focus on my screen while flying anything... but what is nice about it is audible alarms, I can have an audible alarm go off when a battery gets to whatever voltage I don't want it to go under, or I could be flying my plane with a low altitude alarm to let me know I am getting close, there are all kinds of things it can be used for without looking at it, also with FPV it would be easily possible to set it up to look at your TX, though an OSD would be much better rofl.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, MI, East Lansing
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
True, taking your eyes off a moving vehicle you are in control of is asking for trouble. Though the GCP is stable enough I can check my flight timer when in a hover without any issue. That's why the alarms are a nice feature as you would get an audible tone or something to indicate something out of whack. Also, the data would be stored for review after the flight. The key is to have the information available. I never cared enough about it to get a fancy separate data logger, but if they make it built in, i'd rather have the data than not.

It could store your highest amp draw, watts, etc. so you have a baseline to refer to so if you pull much higher than that, could be electrical issue. Maybe the radio could try to console you after a crash.
airbasher is offline Find More Posts by airbasher
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
bizzy I am running the GCP in 6 axis mode. You can change to 3 axis mode for stunts by flipping the mode switch on the receiver. (SW#2)

I got an extra canopy with mine from WOW that is supposedly unbreakable. Looks like Walkera has an alternate sturdier canopy available. I don't know about the unbreakable part. The unbreakable canopy that came with my V120D02S split down one side in a head on crash with the garage floor. Same crash also broke the front off the landing skids.

Back to the GCP, got another 8 flights this morning all inside the house. Bounced off the wall a couple of times trying some things. This thing is pretty tuff and I am still amazed at how quiet and smooth it is.

I have a number of Walkera helis and all are running the same original bearings. I lube them and the gears with some purple looking oil the my son bought at a slot car track for the bearings and gears in his hi performance slot cars. Check out your LHS and see what they use for these slot racers it seems to work. I do use it sparingly but on some of the older helis I can tell by the sound when they need a little lube.
awesome. thanks man. i can get the heli now with a dev7, but im still saving up to get the dev6.
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,058 Posts
stunt 2 problem

Just in from a flight. All is good in normal and stunt 1, I switched to stunt 2 and lost it. tail rotor couldn't keep up and piro'd in. Ideas?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher