HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:57 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Nice flying in the wind feda. Your headcam seems to be working quite well as it keeps the plane in the frame most of the time. I like your flying area as there's a good grass field for mishaps like in your video and there's a good asphalt surface to use as a runway. Did your mishap cause much damage to the plane?
No, not that one.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:22 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Well mine arrived today in around a week in excellent condition.
First impressions-the structure is very stiff,there is copious amounts of Carbon within the fuse,wings and the tail,including the rudder,which is often overlooked.
It is a big foamy,should have a good presence in the air.
All the "bits" are included and they are good quality,horns,pushrods,EZ links,wheels etc.
The fit is excellent,everything fits together nice and straight and tight.

Now the "build" if you can call it that involves hinging the surfaces and glueing the horizontal stab.The hinges are allready glued into the control surfaces and slots are allready cut(except for the rudder)
I did strike a small hiccup with the ailerons as the slot was not deep enough for the hinge and there was solid structure behind the slot area,no drama as I just trimmed the hinges slightly to make them seat well.
The only other small drama was with the supplied motor mount not quite lining up with the predrilled holes in the motor mount,solved by a slighly smaller X mount I had which I mounted to the supplied motor.(I could have easily just drilled some more holes,but I tried another X mount and it fitted!)

I am still waiting for servos and ESC (MG14's(recomended by Groovejet) and a 40 amp Turnigy guard from HC)

The only other question mark in my mind is the amount of right thrust,easy enough to adjust,will fly first to see how it goes.

This kit is awesome value,compared to my SniperX2,the construction and stiffness is miles ahead.I am not sure that there is better made big 3D foamie out there,I'm very happy so far.
I also got a free 13x6.5 prop when I ordered cos I asked for a "present"
Nice job Max at Bestvaluerc.

Couple of photos.
Cheers,
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Last edited by bleary; Aug 09, 2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelin
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:43 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
It looks great bleary. My yellow Extra arrived today and it's really, really nice . I'm not sure when I'll get it built though as I currently have a backlog of planes; a 3DHS 48" Super Vyper and a 3DHS 48" Edge 540 Buck 1.5. It's nice knowing it's here when I get some time. It sure is a stunner .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:19 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Cheers GJ,would be nice to have a heap of new planes to build,I think I like putting together a new one almost as much as flying them.
I almost put the HS65's in the wings but I think I will wait and see how the MG14's feel.I think I am getting blowback on the 65's,particularly on hard downline moves,hardly surprising on massive foam control surfaces (Sniper X2).Also the motor they supplied looks identical to a HK motor I have which is the EDF 3015A 1000kv,not a bad thing as it is a powerful unit.
What size lipos are you running on these size planes? I have some good 1800,but my 2200 are getting a bit tired.Got some recommendations for good 2200's?
Hopefully my stuff arrives before the weekend so I can fly it,looking forward to it!
Bleary.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
bleary, nac and I use Rhino 3S2150 25c lipos in our Skywing MXSes and like them a lot. As to which lipos you might consider, look for something with a high C rating that's under 200g approx. Our 25c Rhinos are 185g and are 1-2 years old, though I'm sure there are higher c rated ones now of a similar weight for similar money.

BTW The photo below is a colour scheme that nac designed. Does it remind you of anything? feda passed this design and a few others that nac created onto Skywing and they modified it a bit to create the yellow Extra .
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Hmn,that looks familiar
Well,had my maiden this AM and am suitably impressed.
I used 1800 lipos which are a bit light I think as I am still a bit tail heavy with them shoved up as far as possible,will get some new 2200 I think.
With the stock motor (1000kv) and the 13 x 6.5 prop supplied by Bestvaluerc,the thing was pulling very close to 50 amps! My speedy is only 40 amps and was getting pretty bloody hot (the watts were also huge as well...)
Anyway my 12x6 is on my SniperX2 so I decided I would just show some restraint on the throttle...well the prop is too big,I found it either kinda on or off and hard to lock into a hover,plus the motor was getting pretty warm as well.I have put a 13 x 4 on now and yet to fly it,but it is pulling max mid 30's,so much more reasonable.
The actual flying though was great.This plane feels much more like a balsa plane than any foamy I have flown.It reminds me a bit of my sadly departed PA260,though not as twitchy or rocky in harrier.
Knife edge is excellent,though I still need to play with COG a bit I think.
It was a bit windy but it handled it fine.
Managed some knife edge spins,which it does ok,probably due to the fact it has a bit of weight behind it.Parachutes and Walls were also good.
The airframe feels rigid and "tight" in the air,I am very happy with it.
I ended up feeling that I didn't have enough ail throw,so I have dialled in some more (I like a lot for torque rolls and such)
Really this is great value and pretty cutting edge in the foamy department I think(no I'm not getting paid to say it either)
The fact that all the control surfaces have carbon reinforcement in them,really makes it feel heaps crisper/less mushy than your average foamy.
Two thumbs up.
Bleary.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:08 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Nobody flying this?
You should.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
I've got about 10 flights on mine.

Loving it.
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
What setup are you using in your plane Big Guy?
(By the way I lived in the Pilbara for many years and have caught a fish or two at Steep Point,what a wild and wonderful place it is!)
Bleary.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
I've got a turnigy G10-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14403

With a plush 40 esc and either a 12x6 or 11x7 prop on mine.

I live in Brookvale Sydney- never been to WA, I just liked the name of the town.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:26 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post

With the stock motor (1000kv) and the 13 x 6.5 prop supplied by Bestvaluerc,the thing was pulling very close to 50 amps! My speedy is only 40 amps and was getting pretty bloody hot (the watts were also huge as well...)

Yes, this set-up requires throttle management. The KV1000 motor that I tested draws about 45A at WOT with a 3-cell battery and a 13x6.5 prop set-up. The motor is overloaded and inefficient in such a state. The set-up should be OK if you use WOT sporadically and no more than a few seconds at a time. SkyWing recommends the KV820 version of the motor, which is safe for long periods of WOT, but I feel a 20C+ 2200 mAh 3-cell battery and a 40A ESC would be under-utilized with such a motor..

In short, be cautious when choose to use the KV1000 motor and run your own watt-meter tests to know the actual amp draw at WOT if possible. Manage the use of throttle accordingly.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
My batteries are pretty strong 40C so I think that is why I was getting such high amp draws.You are right about throttle management with this prop,I don't use much full throttle anyway,I just didn't like the way it felt.
The fact that the motor was also getting hot indicates,as you say,that it is not a very efficient setup,plus it will reduce flight times.All good though,I am happy with the motor and will experiment some more with other props and stuff.(another option would be lighter wood props....hmnn I got me some of them)
Motors are easily changed if needed,airframes not so much and I am very impressed with this one so far.
Bleary.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:24 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Well,just in case anyone is reading this,watch the aileron horn mount points,one of mine came loose after a heavy snap...landed it ok as it didn't come right off.
There was not enough glue on the ply backing plate and it came loose.
The other side was working loose as well,so it may pay to check them.
Sill playing with props,13x4 is good for high alpha,12x6 a bit quicker...all in all a great plane.
Bleary.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up bleary. I noticed my aileron horn mount plates were loose during the build, so I added some glue. I just checked them and they were still a little loose, so I added a lot more glue. Now they're good.

My plane is built but I am waiting on a motor. I should have it flying within a week.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
I was practicing hovering and knife edges on Saturday, until mine went out of control and into a tree. It landed about 15m up and took a good half hour to get down.

Only damage was a little tear in the sfg(?).

It turned out one of my $2.99 9g aileron servos had busted a tooth or three and locked on at about 30 degrees angle.

I really like this plane.