HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:24 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
Due to the holiday I couldn't ship the orders until Tuesday, but they all went out yesterday.

To those that ordered, please post feedback when you get everything up and running.

Thanks,
schu
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralan View Post
I've just finished doing some bench testing. The pinout on ribbon cable looks to be a bit different on this supply. I probed the connectors on hot plug board and the header and found that shorting pins 3,5,6 does the trick. It does not appear that the hot plug board connects any of the pins on the ribbon cable to ground. I connected to DC ground and probed all pins on the hot plug board header and did not find any connections. Pin 1 (the red wire) coming from the main board side is to ground.

As for floating the DC ground, the screw on the left side of the main board, closest to the hot plug board, appears to be responsible for connecting DC ground to the case. After removing this screw, I found no continuity between DC ground and the case, nor DC ground and AC ground. It does seem however that there is a contact on the back side of the main board that connects to the case when the screw is holding it down. Pushing down on the board caused the DC ground to become connected to the case again. In order to eliminate that I'll need to attach something to the underside of the board to isolate that connection from the case, so it looks like I need to revisit removing the main board. Still don't have that figure out. I'm obviously missing something.

Removing the green wire from the case did not eliminate the AC ground. There must be another connection that I can't see. I don't think it is worth tracking down though, as floating the DC ground was quite easy.
When I ordered a couple of ESP135s, I also got a pair of PS-3601-1C units but was able to unscrew the bars from the main board. Shorting the 3,5,6 wires does work, but one issue I have is that the fans are not moving enough air. Have you figured out how to raise the fan speed? I've tried shorting different wires, but no luck. By the way, when I first plug in the units, the fan momentarily go to a high setting for a second, then slow down considerably.
aerochew is offline Find More Posts by aerochew
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerochew View Post
the fans are not moving enough air
Curious as to what you noticed that make you believe that your fans are not working properly? The fans are thermostatically controlled in many server supplies and, as such, are dependent on load and ambient conditions. I have some power supplies that are dead silent (fans are stopped) until a load is present.

If your supplies are not overheating and you are getting stable voltage up to the limit of your supply, then I would say that all is likely fine.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:12 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
Here is my first set completed. Easy to do and works like a champ!

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:26 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerochew View Post
When I ordered a couple of ESP135s, I also got a pair of PS-3601-1C units but was able to unscrew the bars from the main board. Shorting the 3,5,6 wires does work, but one issue I have is that the fans are not moving enough air. Have you figured out how to raise the fan speed? I've tried shorting different wires, but no luck. By the way, when I first plug in the units, the fan momentarily go to a high setting for a second, then slow down considerably.
The fans on the power supplies I'm using aren't thermo controlled so they are on all of the time and they are loud. I usually stick a resistor in series with them when I build my own kits to slow them down a little.

I suspect yours will be just fine since they will almost certainly ramp up when they get hot.

schu
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814 View Post
Here is my first set completed. Easy to do and works like a champ!

Cheers,
Steve
Steve,

What did you think of the kit? Did the DVD work ok? Suggestions for improvements?

It's exciting to see my work in the hands of someone else. Also, I like how you pasted the wiring diagram on the top of the unit.

schu
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:35 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
The DVD was choppy, but it was on my laptop in the Garage so it may be that it is an older model. I did have to go a find a freeware program to view it as windows media player said I didn't have the right codec for the files - then again, I don't think WMP ever worked on anything other WMP files .

The narrative was straight forward and I enjoyed the fact that you didn't edit anything to show that even if you drop the same screw a half dozen times (been there, done that!) it still only takes 25 minutes to put them together.

The kit...speaks for itself! Can't get any easier Not much you can improve upon.

Now you have work on the 24 Volt/92 Amp 4 PS model!!!

Cheers,
Steve

Let me edit my DVD Choppy statement: The video was viewable, no stutter or dropped frames--it was just scanning choppy, like a wave across the video. The audio was not affected and the "waviness" didn't detract so much from the video that you couldn't see. It was more than likely my "freeware" player....Others will have to chime in
Last edited by steve1814; Feb 26, 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added content
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
I haven't done any testing with that, but it should just be a simple matter of wiring two finished kits in parallel.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2008
39 Posts
Schu, are you planning to make more?
GReedTFD is offline Find More Posts by GReedTFD
Last edited by GReedTFD; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:58 AM
HAV
USA, FL, DeLand
Joined Dec 2004
210 Posts
akschu:

Found time to assemble your full kit this morning and I must say it was an enjoyable process. Video was fine and easy to follow. Good quality components and well made...(I pull tested your connections!)
Now to choose a new charger to take advantage of this baby. HAV
HAV is offline Find More Posts by HAV
Last edited by HAV; Mar 03, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:16 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
I have a pl8 and recommend it. It's very powerful and has a lot of safety features. Buy it from Dave at progressiverc.com.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:37 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
Schu

I got my other set built and running today. What do you think would be the best way to wire the series parallel wiring?

Cheers,
Steve
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
Steve,

You would wire for series, then you would run a jumper between the two 24V+ posts and the two 24V- posts.

At that point you should be able to pull on it at 90+ amps.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:40 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
This looks like the best way to do it:
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:49 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
schu,
I'm interested in a full kit with a y-power cable if you decide to do another run. Will any ESP135 series supply work or do I need a certain one? I found some DPS-600PB, are these the correct ones?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM