Old May 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Discussion
Southern Wisconsin Slope Talk

Greetings All,

I thought I'd start a forum thread for discussion about Southern Wisconsin sloping, slope sites, and just general cheesehead slope talk. Trying to avoid taking over other threads to allow them to concentrate on their own subjects.

In no way is this any attempt to take away from any of the great stuff that Greg has going on Slopeflyer.com. Visit and learn from his site.

Possible topics could be -- coordinating and announcing field trips to the Big M, S. Dakota, or other sites, photos of those trips to share, photos of WI flying, links to videos of local flying, discussions of new or potential new slopes in S. WI, etc, etc. You get the idea. There're lots of slopes in WI, just not so many that don't have trees -- share what you learn (with the landowners permission).

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Last edited by Zenmaniac; May 23, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 04:04 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
Thanks Dave.
Speaking of road trips, has anyone taken one of the car ferries to MI for some dune sloping?
jako is offline Find More Posts by jako
Old May 17, 2010, 04:38 PM
Winter Sucks!!
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Aug 2002
750 Posts
Jako: Regarding Valley View, the winds are suppose to be out of the
NorthEast tomorrow. Are there hills that will work for that at Valley View.
If so I'd love to meet you out there.

I live in Greenfield.

Randy
romans1015 is offline Find More Posts by romans1015
Old May 17, 2010, 06:45 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
Randy, the slope faces directly east, however I can't remember just what it looks like, as I haven't been there for a few years (since before I was flying).

I may check it out tonight. Tomorrow, if there is enough reliable wind from the east I'll either try there or at the lake shore.

I'm off all day, feel free to PM me here, I'll check in before I head out.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jako View Post
Thanks Dave.
Speaking of road trips, has anyone taken one of the car ferries to MI for some dune sloping?
DUDE!!!!!! Ive been wanting to do this ever since I heard about Sleeping Bear Dunes. The Ferry aint cheap though. Davo
davonat is offline Find More Posts by davonat
Old May 17, 2010, 10:18 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
OK I was at Sleeping Bear a few years ago... as I recall it was a 3 mile hike to the lake... on sand. Better not forget anything in the car.

I was thinking more of the Silver Lake area???
Old May 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jako View Post
OK I was at Sleeping Bear a few years ago... as I recall it was a 3 mile hike to the lake... on sand. Better not forget anything in the car.

I was thinking more of the Silver Lake area???
Really?..... Ive heard of park and fly spots.... or very short walk spots. They fly full scale sailplanes there or used to. I did a search of the place... They issue A rc permit free... and have sloping spots marked on the map of the place. From what I gather its a pretty large area
Old May 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
751 Posts
Is there any sloping in La Crosse WI? I am a long time Trane employee and have been to La Crosse many times over the past 15 years. I know there is a place called the bluffs, but have never been there.

?? Mr. Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old May 17, 2010, 10:43 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Robert View Post
Is there any sloping in La Crosse WI? I am a long time Trane employee and have been to La Crosse many times over the past 15 years. I know there is a place called the bluffs, but have never been there.

?? Mr. Robert
Bob,

LaCrosse has Granddad's Bluff. I've been there several times, in my pre-slope life. I can't say that it has or hasn't been done, but from what I recall there's a chain link fence around the edge, and not much of a launch site. One of our local flyers, Pete, used to slope near Winona, which is on the MN side of the Mississippi, about 20 miles up the road. I can find out more information from Pete if you're going to be in the neighborhood.

Davonat talked with me last year about a friend who has some land S. of LaCrosse on the E side of the Mississippi, but I don't know if he's visited the potential site in person. Davo?

-= Dave
Old May 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davonat View Post
Really?..... Ive heard of park and fly spots.... or very short walk spots. They fly full scale sailplanes there or used to. I did a search of the place... They issue A rc permit free... and have sloping spots marked on the map of the place. From what I gather its a pretty large area
While the sloping in this video leaves a lot to be desired (the aircraft in use is a pretty good excuse), the slope looks like it would be worth even a looonnnggg hike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Gqj010gzs

I agree with Davonat about the ferry price. We took it (the slow one, not the new fast ferry) as a family trip about 15 years ago it was an interesting experience, but unless you really HATE driving through Chicago not really worth the $$ and didn't save that much time. We visited the dunes on that trip, and though I didn't look at it through a sloper's eye, I don't recall it being that far (if it was a bad hike, I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten there with a 4-year-old. )

-= Dave
Old May 17, 2010, 10:55 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
MR Roberts....There really needs to be more exploring done....I know south of La Crosse there are some west facing bluffs near the Mississippi River. The truth is... There is just to few of us. & less True Slopers with lots of planes.... moldies and such. And we live mostly near or super close to Lake Michigan... So if the wind is rite... We fly there and dont need to drive across the state to explore. Im from Fallbrook originally....... Flew my first RC plane at Torrey, way back. Davo
Last edited by davonat; May 17, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:06 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
Bob,

Davonat talked with me last year about a friend who has some land S. of LaCrosse on the E side of the Mississippi, but I don't know if he's visited the potential site in person. Davo?

-= Dave
Merko and I headed out there after a bit of flying at the Big M last fall... But he got a call from wifey and we never got to check it out. Im "ALL" up to splittin the ferry cost and Goin to the Sleeping Bear Dunes sometime!!! I got a brand new Video camera. The place looks awsome.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:08 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Where did every one go??? Here is my newest ......
Old Jun 09, 2010, 11:15 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davonat View Post
Where did every one go??? Here is my newest ......
Very pretty bird, Davo. Where do you plan to fly her?

Here's a short video of some Alula flying in Madison this past weekend:

Alulas 6-6-10.mp4 (1 min 18 sec)

-= Dave
Last edited by Zenmaniac; Jun 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Im thinkin on getting some guys together and maybe going to sleeping bear dunes. Have you seen the thread and video? Not sure where the maiden will be.... I wanna have good wind and lift....The Big M ?..... Davo