SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
152 Posts
We've been using the Futaba T6J radio for the 2M AC boats with the backstay on the rotary dial, works very well. Curious, what servo do you guys run on the backstay?
John Fries is offline Find More Posts by John Fries
Last edited by John Fries; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
966 Posts
John,
Using a quarter scale hi tech 5765MH with life batteries. Does the job very nicely. Issue is there are three precision control things on a Hitech Wheeler. The backstay, main vang, and jib boom vang. Most radio's do not have the capability to fine adjust that many things. There are two slides on the back of the 8FG super radio and two dials. I hope this is going to work, our national champion I believe uses the same radio with his wheeler. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:51 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
2015 Wheeler regatta schedule

GOOD NEWS DEPT: Bernard Price, SFMYC and Jeff Depew, AMYA WOD Class Secretary (along with others) are putting together the 2015 Wheeler regatta schedual.

SFMYC in responding to the club's increased interest (ownership) in Wheelers (6 at this time) has the BofD authorizing a SFMYC Wheeler six (6) regatta series championship for 2015.

Details are developing quickly. More information will follow as negotiations with other NorCal clubs racing Wheelers work out.
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 24, 2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
Wheeler rigging

Attached are recent pictures of racing Wheeler's rigging. These pictures were taken a year ago at SFMYC, Spreckels Lake, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.

If this Wheeler rigging archive helps others building Wheelers (or other large racers), great.

re RC adjustable Jib&Main vangs…The vangs illustrated here are constructed mostly of off-the-shelf hobby materials and supplys. Some take commercially available vangs removing the clevis and attaching that hardware into CF (arrow shafts) and aluminum tubes (ACE Hardware). Insert a spring (ACE Hardware) inside the larger tube to create tension on the smaller tube. The spring keeps the boom-sheet taught against the servo arm.

Some modify SS tubes (ACE Hardware) and attach the tubes to the goose neck and boom with DuBro #302 ¼ scale clevis and tangs.

Blocks move the booms about ⅜" altering the sail's twist. 4:1, 5:1 & 6:1 blocks are mainly in use. Many use ¼ scale AC servos to operate the power-vangs. Programable servos set to operate 180 degrees need a ½" servo arm to move 6:1 blocks ¼" when rotating 180 degrees while adjusting the jib&main twist when underway.

NOTE-The key to successful RC vang operation is aligning the fairlead & gooseneck's vertical axes. This is easier said than done. Look at the pictures below and note the placement the mainsails fairlead and the jibs. Sometimes a perfect vertical alignment is a challenge. Nevertheless, misalignment of that axes causes changes in the boom's sheet tension which in turn creates varing degrees in the sail's twist both tacking and running-not good.

The above notwithstanding, it should be noted manually adjusted jibs&main Wheelers and RC adjusted vang Wheelers appear equally competitive in race conditions. So, riggers-Pick your poision. (:
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2015 at 01:54 AM. Reason: add information
Old Mar 16, 2015, 09:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
2014 GRP Wheeler build

The plan is to race this 2014 GRP Adrian Olsen Wheeler April 3rd. Hope springs eternal.

The build includes parts from Radio Yacht Supply Australia (sales@rysa.com.au}. Design engineer, Steve Scott, is handling the assembly. Scott worked with George Rebeiro building the first 44 Wheelers. Jess Atkinson and Jeff Depew are observing and consulting as the build moves along.

The first pictures are of an additional bulkhead suggested by Ryan Schofield which is intended to reduce the aft section racking as reported by Atkinson. Scott designed a CF cross brace torsion rods similar to the boat's front system to stiffen the hull. Additional CF plates for stiffening are being prototyped with plastic media taken from Solid Works CNC design.

Plumbing the hull is a challenge.

Design engineer, Steve Scott, laid up the first 44 Wheeler hulls for George Rebeiro (GRP). Steve is handling the assembly of this wheeler.

Here are today's comments about squaring the hull, keel and rudder. "The rudder is finally set and epoxied. I ended up designing and printing a couple more alignment tools. Wow..... That was tough.

"Ok..... Here is the bad news. Setting the rudder and keel was giving me trouble. If you remember some of the first pics I sent you showing the twist I found in the hull. I used a laser line to locate the keel and rudder and found .250 inches of twist at the transom. I got rid of that by breaking the rear keelson bulkhead supports free and re glueing them. That got it really close. Any way, I did a buch of measurements with my calipers from the deck ledger down at multiple points. The keelson block is .125 inches deeper on the starboard side. This puts the keel out of plumb by .0625 at the vertex of the keels trailing edge. I was having difficulty setting the rudder plumb and perpendicular to the deck.

"I ended up sanding the starboard edge of the keel back a bit to cheat the keel into alignment.

"In the end, we have a nice alignment of the keel to the rudder and really close to perpendicular to the deck. The bad news is that the deck will be approx .125 inches higher on the port side.
The only way I can see fixing this is to plane the port side gunwales down then mount the deck then sand the fiberglass back to match.

"Should work. Although I doubt there is a wheeler out there that is dead straight in every orientation!! The really important alignment in my opinion, is the rudder to keel being on center of the length of the hull and the mast being set co linear to the keel.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:07 PM
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Dec 2004
183 Posts
Thanks for the pics

Stunning pics!

thank you

Bill in Arroyo Grande
Ducati-Rider is online now Find More Posts by Ducati-Rider
Old Mar 20, 2015, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
hull-deck fit issue?!

Trial fitting the deck to the hull. This deck now fits the hulls. The transom bulkhead needed to be dressed to fit. Problem solved!
We recently got the 16 pages of details and they resolved most of the question.
Steve Scott, design engineer is doing the assembly.

Note: Steve, working with George Rebeiro-GRP-laid up the first 44 Wheeler hulls in the late 1990s. This 2014 Olsen GRP is a different iteration.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Today at 02:33 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
Book it

Here is the build log now developing with pictures and construction narrative. Lets hope more builders join the Wheeler group. If any of this helps that effort, great.

Below, I've added the draft of the hull, servo and sheet layout below deck.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Mar 28, 2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:35 AM
Joined Nov 2010
966 Posts
Hum, I think I would go with your plan A steve. Odd that the deck does not fit the hull smoothly at the transom. Shows how much these new lighter hulls flex and need extra support to hold their shape. Your taking my idea for the aft bulkhead a step further. Interesting that even after leveling and checking carefully before installing the front supports that the center keel support was off. I had not made it far enough to do any trial fitting of the keel. Ryan
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I had not made it far enough to do any trial fitting of the keel. Ryan
The holdup on hardware delivery (Australia-USA is 4 days +$57 for 1Kg USD-ouch) is the major stumbling block for the assembly. Looking more like the maiden race will be SFMYC WOD R1 April 19th. 20 days and counting….Yeowie!

WOD R1 In Marin, 4/4, can't happen for this new Wheeler.
But, R2 at SFMYC, 4/19 will be tight but here we go.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Mar 29, 2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 02:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Odd that the deck does not fit the hull smoothly at the transom.
transom fit update….As it turns out, the transom bulk head needed to be faired 1/16" on both sides before installation. That's done and the fit is spot on. Moving on.

And, word from Wheeler secretary …."The stern fit you had identified. There is always some twist when it comes out of the molds. You should not need to do any fill, when ready to attach the deck, you can pull it together with blue tape and it will fit for gluing/attachment … effectively a monocoque.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Today at 02:23 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
2014 GRP Olsen Wheeler update

We have a new target for racing this boat-April 19th (20 days and counting). Today's shop work product are two power vangs. These are downsized from the original prototype that were .500". The first power vangs were SS. That was followed by CF. These are ,275" aluminum. The Dubro 303 ¼" scale clevis is a nice fit. One clevis is steel made on the lathe and mill.
Next, adding two triple Pekebe blocks for the 6;1 purchase will finish off the vangs.
Moving on….
Old Today, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
966 Posts
I will take some pictures tomorrow of work underway on #38. The rudder linkage is installed in the boat and the cf tube that connects the rudder and rudder servo is installed. Working on the mast, have all of the chain plates and spreader attachment points installed on the rig. Next up, make a new mast head with a longer piece to better accommodate the roach of the mainsail. After that is done, the new spreaders can be installed and the standing rigging made. Pictures tomorrow. Ryan
Old Today, 02:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
669 Posts
underway

Here is #38 underway a year ago.
She's serious eye-candy making her way around San Pablo Dam reservoir.
Lets hope 38 is race ready Saturday for the races in Marin.