HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Have you tried wearing a mask of some sort? CA irritates the hell out of me so I build with wood glue and rarely use CA except for tacking.

Hope you can figure it out so you can keep building!
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2013, 08:31 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
First off, fond memories triggered - back around 1997, I electrocuted Great Planes' CAP232, which was around the same size as this Extra. Ann Marie Cross, wife of GP designer Mike Cross of these kits, did a similar number on the GP Giles 202, again of similar size. We worked on the two in parallel using what was then the top sports flying motor on the US scene, the 'MaxCim' series.

Despite a 'mere' 600W from a battery weighing around 44oz, both flew extremely well as electrics. The CAP was that good, I had a hard time resisting when a kit came up on EBay last week.

Big issues with the CAP were but a short length of fuselage for a battery hatch - probably not an issue with a LiPo - and the tendency of any CAP to snap roll if you thought about it too hard.

Unfortunately, all my CAP magazine article photos were chiseled into stone slabs, so I can't easily 'post' them right now.

To the OP - do whatever it takes to keep your lungs happy, and good luck to you with this issue.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 03, 2013, 09:20 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
First off, fond memories triggered - back around 1997, I electrocuted Great Planes' CAP232, which was around the same size as this Extra. Ann Marie Cross, wife of GP designer Mike Cross of these kits, did a similar number on the GP Giles 202, again of similar size. We worked on the two in parallel using what was then the top sports flying motor on the US scene, the 'MaxCim' series.

Despite a 'mere' 600W from a battery weighing around 44oz, both flew extremely well as electrics. The CAP was that good, I had a hard time resisting when a kit came up on EBay last week.

Big issues with the CAP were but a short length of fuselage for a battery hatch - probably not an issue with a LiPo - and the tendency of any CAP to snap roll if you thought about it too hard.

Unfortunately, all my CAP magazine article photos were chiseled into stone slabs, so I can't easily 'post' them right now.

To the OP - do whatever it takes to keep your lungs happy, and good luck to you with this issue.

Dereck
Dereck,

cool info you have for sure seen a massive change in the hobby over the years, I love listening to the stories of the guys in the club talk about single servo's that weights a pound and building a plane in 6 months only to destroy it because it was their first flight. - bummer that they killed it, but point being if you did not build it from scratch you didn't fly....

Yea I have read up on what it would take to safely work with this stuff and I'm just not into it, I't like standard masks are useless for this stuff as I understand, and the proper equipment is really not cheap, last time around my wife got sick and that was a turning point for me, I just thought a quick scuff couldn't hurt. - it can.

Thanks for the info, I love the old stories!

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old May 04, 2013, 01:15 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
My wife has a theory that I'm trying to make it to be the 'oldest kid on the block'. When we met, I told her that 'I messed with model aircraft some'. She still maintains that's an unde-exaggeration...

I got into RC relatively late on - 1979 or so. But I do have a photo of me with my first 'own design' CL combat wing, when I was 14 or 15. I too have great appreciation of the RC pioneers, what they achieved was incredible.

S - I wish you all the best with sorting out your medical issues. After the last couple of years, I've taken to dust masks, air cleaners around the house and so on. My issues started with asbestos, not balsa dust, but I too am taking no chances.

Regards

Dereck
Old May 05, 2013, 09:58 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Quote:
My wife has a theory that I'm trying to make it to be the 'oldest kid on the block'. When we met, I told her that 'I messed with model aircraft some'. She still maintains that's an unde-exaggeration...

I got into RC relatively late on - 1979 or so. But I do have a photo of me with my first 'own design' CL combat wing, when I was 14 or 15. I too have great appreciation of the RC pioneers, what they achieved was incredible.

S - I wish you all the best with sorting out your medical issues. After the last couple of years, I've taken to dust masks, air cleaners around the house and so on. My issues started with asbestos, not balsa dust, but I too am taking no chances.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck,

Nothing wrong with being the oldest kid on the block :-)

Today I'm going to the filed with a partially finished F4 and my unstarted BSUSA Enforcer kit :-( one of the guy in the club is going to give them a new home. I did the Extra a s a bit more Practice before I started the enforcer....

that will give me the room to sort out and clean um my little room, and get rid of any traces of dust that exist.

Good thing this hobby has sooo many routes to go down and giving up thins one wont eliminate me from it!

Although not a pioneer in the hobby you have for sure seen your fair share of changes that is for sure, I'v only bee at it 3.5 years and the changes in that time period are pretty big!

Have fun! - S
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:05 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,592 Posts
Any updates on this build?
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Xanadu,

Not sure where I left off but after I recovered for the last illness, I had to patch a 3x3 inch section on my Kit sportster, I scuffed it a bit so the monokote would stick and I got sick AGAIN there was not even eough dust to hit the table, and this time there was no CA involved and I have used CA several times since without issue.

I am forever done with Balsa building.

Kinda hurts, but luckily this hobby is so diverse I have plenty to keep me busy.

She is sitting on the shelf until I can plan something and write up instructions on what I want done and I'm going ship it off to a fellow flyer who will eventually put it together.

Or I just may sell it. Not sure.

Sorry I hope your build goes well, but right now I don't want even want to pick it up and disturb the dust.

My wife started getting sick from it as well.

Please feel free to show what you end up with I'd love to see it!

- S
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
S
Sorry to hear you've been driven out of woodwork. At least you can follow other paths in the hobby you obviously love.

Right now, our 'house' is in storage for who knows how long. I'm even wishing I'd found a way to fit my little yellow jelliwobbler into the car so I'd have something to play with in the tiny 'corporate apartment' we're 'living' in!

D
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Quote:
S
Sorry to hear you've been driven out of woodwork. At least you can follow other paths in the hobby you obviously love.

Right now, our 'house' is in storage for who knows how long. I'm even wishing I'd found a way to fit my little yellow jelliwobbler into the car so I'd have something to play with in the tiny 'corporate apartment' we're 'living' in!

D
D,

Yea this hobby is so diverse I'm already off on several other adventures :-)

I hope you get your toy-box back soon!

- S