Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,961 Posts
Help!
EagleEyes Dropping Telemetry

History
I have had my EagleEyes for about a year and everything was fine, but minimal use. I have been setting up a new flying wing for FPV and my EagleEyes started acting up.

Problem
Upon powering up the EagleEyes it seems to work okay but after a short period it indicates that there isn't any telemetry; this has happened on two different 900Mhz transmitter/Receiver combinations. Also happens whether I use AV1 or AV2 input. All symptoms pointed towards a servo driver hardware over heating. I made sure there was nothing binding, cut a few holes in the backside heat shrink for any heat to escape and added some silicon lube to the mechanical moving parts. I made some stand-offs to create an air gap between the back of the EagleEyes and the antenna mount. I also removed the directional antenna and DVR/mount I had added to the antenna to reduce the weight that it had to sling around (for bench testing).

All seemed to be fine. I was able to re-calibrate and manually drive the servos around but when I exited the calibration menus and went back to the normal OSD screen the antenna swung to where it thought the aircraft was and then indicated that it lost telemetry.

An IR thermometer indicates no more than 100 degree F at any one spot on the board. I had updated the Firmware after adding a Guardian but I am going to hook everything up to the laptop and make sure I have the latest.

Until I post my current Firmware versions for all components, feel free to post any ideas.

Possible Troubleshooting Steps
-add a cooling fan blowing over the board
-try my 1.3Ghz TX/TX
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,961 Posts
I did some more troubleshooting and here is what I found:

- Windows software was the latest and all ET components had the latest firmware. Under firmware control window, the button to load the latest version of firmware for each component was active although the indicated latest version was the same indicated as what was loaded. I reloaded firmware for all components and reconfigured everything.

- It was still giving me the same no telemetry issues so I powered down and ensured the batteries were charged. They were.

- I powered down and unplugged the servos from the EagleEyes board. Applied power to all and let it run. All was fine, good telemetry and good gauge readings on the laptop...until I entered the configuration menus and immediately lost telemetry and laptop gauges. I repeated this step and got into the menus a little deeper before I lost telemetry. This indicates that it is not over heating due to a high load from the servos since they are not connected.

- when using my TX to change menus the Telemetry LED will often hesitate. Not sure if this is normal.

- if the EagleEyes is set to diversity I can switch the video input between AV1 and AV2 and the LED will indicate which is connected even when there is no telemetry light flashing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Sorry, I can't really help...because I see more or less the same issue.
In fact I was setting up my system with eagleEyes, including antenna tracking and I keep loosing telemetry even during setup at a couple of meter between Tx and Rx. While I used to be flying a few hundred meters with the same Tx/Rx with great picture quality.
I guess my first try should be to connect directly OSD Pro video out to EagleEyes video In (with a cable).

Vincent
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi John/Vincent,

Sorry to hear about the telemetry issue. Note that the telemetry light will blink even if the regulator that drives the servos briefly overheats (assuming there is a reasonably clear video image), so we can rule out that as an issue.

Here are some questions:
1) Are you losing telemetry even if you do not enter the configuration menus? In other words, if the system is in normal operation mode, is the telemetry being lost?
2) Can you let me know the version of software you are running, under "Help, About"?
3) Is there any jumping or change in the video image before telemetry is lost? We recently had a customer whose video image would start to shift about 20% down the screen, which will definitely cause telemetry loss.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Hi Bill,

I am currently on version 10.04.

In fact my connection to telemetry seems to be very unstable, even when out of the configuration menus. I have set it up to have beeps when telemetry is lost and I can hear beeps almost all the time. This is happenning even when the plane is only a few meters away from the receiver and picture is cristal clear.
I have one receiver with omni antenna that I have been getting good picture quality from more than 1km away and now that I have my diversity system with omni on one side and flat antenna on the other side, I had the impression that picture quality when flying a few hundred meters away was much worse than before.
Anyway I have made a long list of things to try, including disabling diversity and trying only with the omni receiver.

In terms of "sensitivity to noise", is it possible to start loosing telemetry before we notice any degradation on the picture quality?

Also on this forum I have noticed ideas such as:
-adding in line resistor on video signal
-switching to narrow mode
-changing black/white levels of OSD
-connecting directly ODS video out to EE video in with a wire
Do these ideas make sense in my case? (last one at least would help confirm both OSD and EE are OK)

Thanks for jumping in into the conversation!

Vincent
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the telemetry vs video quality, the quality will have be noticably very bad (white text characters become noisy and wobbly, for example) before telemetry will be affected. For what it's worth, our "alpha" software located here further increases the video quality tolerance, but this is certainly not your issue if you don't see a major video image. But, just to eliminate this from the equation, could you give this software a try?

I don't think the items you list above will affect telemetry, with the possible exception of the resistor in rare cases. But, note that you could do the resistor experiment by plugging the receiver in to the EE's video 2 input, and adjusting the video 2 level pot, to see if that affects the issue.

Aside from that, the main things to look for are:
a) lots of noise in the image
b) rolling video. We had one case recently where the customer's video image was suddenly shifting down the screen about 20%, which of course will cause telemetry to stop working.

Don't worry, whatever it is, we'll get to the bottom of it!
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,961 Posts
Bill, I'm glad others have used this thread to post their issues and thanks for helping them out.

I haven't had the time to continue troubleshooting my issue but hopefully it will happen this weekend. I'll post when I have more info.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:21 PM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Vincent,

For what it's worth, our "alpha" software located here further increases the video quality tolerance, but this is certainly not your issue if you don't see a major video image. But, just to eliminate this from the equation, could you give this software a try?

Don't worry, whatever it is, we'll get to the bottom of it!
THANKS!!
The new software solved my issue (at least that's the only modification that I am aware of on my system and I did 4 flights this Easter week end and had telemetry OK everytime).

This is really a GREAT experience: telemetry working, tracking working hence great picture quality and even RTH working (thanks to Guardian) hence a much more safe feeling when not anymore in LOS.
With my regular 72MHz Radio system I went 300m up, 1km away (Not really impressive figures on this forum) and everything went fine. A couple of time I started to get worried and hit the switch to trigger RTH and plane started heading back home: such a cool feeling

Thanks a lot Bill and fellow RCG members for making this possible!

Vincent

Thanks a lot
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Vincent, that's great news! Really glad to hear it.
Site Sponsor