HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:30 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
I have been using a jeti ds16 so once you come out with it, I will experiment with it. The variable speed can be put on a slider switch.
Eyefly is offline Find More Posts by Eyefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjhla View Post
Hi Eyefly,
I actually considered this a little while ago. To my thinking the best option would be to use one of the Jeti transmitters. As I understand it, these transmitters can bind to two separate receivers, one for the plane and one for the winch. The winch could be operated by a switch or a variable input such as a stick or slider.

The problem is that there is already a lot going on with your hands during the launch. I can't imagine throwing the plane, flying it up the line, flipping it from launch mode to zoom mode, and operating the winch, all at the same time. I concluded that keeping the foot pedal was the best option.

That said, for a low intensity launch situation it could work.

Another simple option would be to wire it to an existing switch on the transmitter as you suggested. The wires could come in through the trainer port for easy disconnection after launch. You would miss out on the variable throttle though, which is one of the best features of this design.
You have few options, simple one would be to set up logical switch. But also you can execute release using data input from variometer. This function can be fully automated. Set up your hight and let release activate by itself, Jeti with newest V3.00 software can do magic.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts to add based on all the other good ideas I've read here:

1> Go-karts also have a centrifugal clutch that might be useful in controlling your current load during spool-up.

2> Controlling tension rather than speed seems like a really important paradigm shift in the way people think about these things. Line speed *makes* tension, and it's the tension that matters.

3> There are a ton of ways to work with the tension- the fishing torque thing is one, a pully on a sprung lever that feeds back to the speed control is another. I think I saw one or two others in the past couple of pages.

Think about failure modes when selectign which one to use-- if the ESC is set to drive tension and the line breaks suddenly the tension drops to zero and the ESC goes to max!
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis