HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:12 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Sounds good JD. Some pictures ?
Was curious about the sail material. Is it a plastic sheet or a coated cloth ?

Bruce needs a radio for his Seawind so I have a extra 4 channel 2.4hz around someplace I need to get to him.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Sounds good JD. Some pictures ?
Was curious about the sail material. Is it a plastic sheet or a coated cloth ?

Stringfly <>++++
Thermal Plastic Polyester (polyethylene terephthalate) sails are reinforced with fiber for high performance.

One piece. Not paneled. Corners reinforced.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
ok..... can't wait to see it sail. Hope weather is not too bad Sunday. You going to take it to the back pond tomorrow ?

Stringfly <>++++
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
JD
Good info! Is the mast hollow? If so, I have found by using a piece of brass or alumimum tubing from my hobbyshop or Homedepot, I can insert it or slide into the base section 1/2 of it's length, then slide the top section over the other 1/2 of the tube. The tubing has to be a tight/snug fit to work. Once the two pieces are lined up and tight together, drill 2 very small holes on each half of the mast and use a SS or brass sheet metal type screws to sucure the joint.

The example below is the mast from one of my Yamaha RTW. The hole in the one piece are for the spreaders that mounted there, so it worked perferctly, but I did drill throught the hole into the tubing to secure it.

By using this method, I can disassemble the mast if I need to. This was a strong mast but still needed the tubing inside it to keep it from bending. The mast has the correct amount of flex to permit tuning, but stay fully aligned at the joint.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:13 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
JD
Good info! Is the mast hollow?
Mast is hollow Carbon Fiber tube. Either bowhunting blanks or just carbon tubing. Jib and Main booms are hollow aluminum tubing.

Spoke with product rep at Aquacraft product support today. Its not missing anything. The two haves do not thread together. And the Spreaders aren't threaded either. Just have threaded rod in the ends to slide into the Mast Spreader Ring.

I think I'll just epoxy the mast together to form one unit, as suggested in the manual.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
If you are planning to bond the CF mast together, I would suggest fining out what the inside diameter is(micro tool) and then look for a suitable CF tube to slide right inside....you want a tight fit. The bending characteristics will then be similar at the joint.

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
JD, Let me know if you need a certain carbon rod, tube size.... I have tons of pieces of all different sizes from my stunt kite builds.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:49 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
String,
That is a solid suggestion I will utilize if I get one. I do that with my RC planes to give the CF wing connecting tubes more strength. Same idea I am using on my other boats.

I don't have a "Sport Ut", so I have had to devise a way to transport my sailboats in my Acura TL sedan. I use a long elastic cord and string it between to the two coat hooks in the back, and suspend the sail/mast assembly by resting the mast base on the seat back and the elastic cord. I found one that is the right length, so it supports the mast nicely. It is snugged up to just below the headliner.

I have been able to carry two completely assembled masts this way with not problems. This process is simplified by using the SS turnbuckles on all of my rigging lines which makes set up and tear down very simple. When I get a new car it will be a "Sport Ut" which will make transporting my rc toys a lot easier.

Can you fellows snap a photo of the completed mast assembly and post it?
Thank you

Boomer
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:49 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,299 Posts
JD and String went sailing today with JD's new Vela...........String gave me a shot at his 1 meter boat........i did OK i guess, quite fun!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Vela sailing..

We sailed some today. My Seawind and JD's Vela. Cold, cloudy with wind, probably 8 to 10 at times. Vela looked great and looked good in the water but sailing cut short on her because the stock side stay's clips just weren't strong enough and gave away with mast and sail going over. All retrieved with everthing ok. A easy fix but Aquacraft should know better.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
I dont know how they expect the provided interlocking snap clips to hold up to 10-15mph winds as supplied out of the box rigged.

Stopped by the Sporting Goods store on the way home. 12 new rigging clips for only $1.09 (the Vela Rigging Clips from AQ are $7). Picture attached of the ones I bought and will work much better as a surrogate, until I change the rigging over to Pekabe and wire side stays.

A couple of housekeeping items before my next outing (or your first):

* The bowsie's are extremely difficult to adjust. Maybe a little wax the make the lines easier to slide. Shouldnt have any impact on the ability of the bowsie to hold tension once the rigging is set.

** The boat shipped with the Rudder installed. I didnt remove mine to grease the shaft. I did have some water inside the hull. I believe this may have been the source. I will remove/inspect and grease the rudder next outing.

*** Add velcro to the battery holder (if your using lithium disposable AA's) so it remains in the radio tray location.

**** Im going to re work the lines on the traveler. I think I can get more outhaul, and still be able to acquire close haul of the main if they allow more extension from the deck.

After comparing the Vela to the Seawind, I think a set of Seawind Sail and rigging would make a great "B" rig for the Vela. May need to purchase a set to try on higher wind outings.

Very happy with the boat overall. Luff the sails and she nicely pointed into the wind. Ready for a full day of trials to see what she can do. Should be great fun racing with the Seawinds, Thunder Tiger ETNZ/China Team, and HK Monsoon/Leopard/Phantom.

As long as people dont protest because the Vela measures 40inches (1016mm). 16mm longer than 1 Meter.
Last edited by JDCrow; Jan 23, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
JD
Again, great information. I am thinking a call to AquaCraft might be in order to point out these issues to them. I find that installing a well fit o-ring on the rudder shaft helps keep the water from entering the hull via the rudder shaft. It has work well for me on all of my boats. Grease is good, grease and rubber are better.

If you convert your boat to SS leader and SS turnbuckles, the bowsies will no longer be a concern for you.

I am a balloon guy, and like to put the receiver and batteries in balloons just for a little insurance.

Thanks for the reports. Good stuff

Boomer
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
898 Posts
Boomer - can you give the website and part numbers you use for the SS leaders and turnbuckles?

Thanks,
Jim
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
rigging line

JD,
I have some nice Ashaway braded Dacron, 20 and 30lb that I think would be nicer line than the stock line. Super nice line with a very tight smooth braided weave. The stock line is really small and was hard to tension with the bowsies (?). But some wax may help that. Some also like 90 lb spectra which I also have. (90 lb spectra is also very small). Just a thought.

Stringfly <>++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 24, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Spectra/Dyneema is also very "slippery" and tends not to kink. However, it's difficult to thread, as making a sharp ending by burning and pinching like Dacron doesn't work so well. Being so slippery, extra care has to be taken with knots as well.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards