HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:06 AM
United States, CO, Silverthorne
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the core does.

The tbs 69 and the lawmate would all be just like any other diagram

I haven't spent much time looking at the core, so I'm not sure how you would incorporate it, other than if it is a Voltage regulator and / or a BEC, then you would insert its' capabilities instead of using a different device.

It should be pretty straight forward...
The core is used to supply voltage to both the camera and vtx sides, say 5v for the lawmate and 12v for the TBS69 camera. I havent looked into it much yet but I assume the eagletree serves as a pass through for voltage?
TZZDC1241 is offline Find More Posts by TZZDC1241
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:40 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZZDC1241 View Post
The core is used to supply voltage to both the camera and vtx sides, say 5v for the lawmate and 12v for the TBS69 camera. I havent looked into it much yet but I assume the eagletree serves as a pass through for voltage?
That is correct.

So, if your camera is 5V, and your transmitter is 12V, then you will want to do this.

1) take the 5V power and ground to the camera, and the 12V power and ground to the transmitter

2) do not run power and ground through the OSD, because you will surely mix 5V and 12V power source, but only run the signal wire through the OSD.

3) also make sure that you have the corresponding voltage going to the mic, without combining it with the undesired power source, and to be safe, you will likely want to run only the signal wire through the OSD.

You don't need to cut the ESC wire (5 min 37 sec)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:00 AM
United States, CO, Silverthorne
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
That is correct.

So, if your camera is 5V, and your transmitter is 12V, then you will want to do this.

1) take the 5V power and ground to the camera, and the 12V power and ground to the transmitter

2) do not run power and ground through the OSD, because you will surely mix 5V and 12V power source, but only run the signal wire through the OSD.

3) also make sure that you have the corresponding voltage going to the mic, without combining it with the undesired power source, and to be safe, you will likely want to run only the signal wire through the OSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzYX4...2GlyzA&index=9
The camera is 12v and the lawmate is 5v, separated by the core which the vTX side gets 5v and the CAM side gets 12v.

So basically it sounds like I'd use the video wire from the camera into the OSD and out of the OSD to the camera side of the frame (basically feeding video in). The power would come from the core since its already set up for 12v camera side and 5v vTX side.

I guess my only question is if I wanted to supply 12v (running a 4s lipo by the way) to the camera through the OSD then I'd wire it up from the CAM side (12v) through the mic port or video out, or does it matter where voltage along the black/red ports are fed in? I know video in would have red/black/yellow going to the video in for the camera and video out would have yellow and possibly black/red?

Thank you m_beeson!
TZZDC1241 is offline Find More Posts by TZZDC1241
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
I'm having an issue with my ET OSD. I get a ton of throttle noise on the video if I have the ground shared at all.

First I tried a 2-battery setup and all was fine so long as I *did not* use the ground on the OSD's video in/out. OK, weird but no big deal (actually, perhaps not "weird" in that the diagram in the manual shows no power/ground connected... but then why are the pins there?).

But then I wanted to get it working with a single battery and I just had zero luck. I've tried everything. I've tried to just filter the crap out of it (which improves but does not eliminate) but really i shouldn't have to... I get a clean signal with dual battery so long as I don't touch that OSD ground! But with a single battery, there's really no way to isolate ground.

Is this a known issue (ie. stuck with 2-battery design or noise)? Or could I have something wrong with my OSD?

FYI... if I remove the OSD from the equation... clean signal. That's with single or double.

Thanks.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:36 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,397 Posts
I just use the DIY LC filter, and it works great.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I'm having an issue with my ET OSD. I get a ton of throttle noise on the video if I have the ground shared at all.

First I tried a 2-battery setup and all was fine so long as I *did not* use the ground on the OSD's video in/out. OK, weird but no big deal (actually, perhaps not "weird" in that the diagram in the manual shows no power/ground connected... but then why are the pins there?).

But then I wanted to get it working with a single battery and I just had zero luck. I've tried everything. I've tried to just filter the crap out of it (which improves but does not eliminate) but really i shouldn't have to... I get a clean signal with dual battery so long as I don't touch that OSD ground! But with a single battery, there's really no way to isolate ground.

Is this a known issue (ie. stuck with 2-battery design or noise)? Or could I have something wrong with my OSD?

FYI... if I remove the OSD from the equation... clean signal. That's with single or double.

Thanks.

- Steven
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:29 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Quote:
I've tried to just filter the crap out of it (which improves but does not eliminate)
Yes, I've tried that (and other) filtering method. I get a tiny improvement but still nowhere near acceptable. Are you saying you've got a SINGLE battery setup with this OSD product and you have no visible throttle noise?

Mine is not a matter of filtering. I'm certain of it. I've also narrowed the noise down to the OSD. So either this is the norm and a two-battery setup is required, or something's wrong with my OSD.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:19 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I've tried that (and other) filtering method. I get a tiny improvement but still nowhere near acceptable. Are you saying you've got a SINGLE battery setup with this OSD product and you have no visible throttle noise?

Mine is not a matter of filtering. I'm certain of it. I've also narrowed the noise down to the OSD. So either this is the norm and a two-battery setup is required, or something's wrong with my OSD.
It is not the norm.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:55 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Ok, well hopefully ET responds here or to my ticket... unless I'm missing something, I think I've ruled out everything else. It appears my OSD is the culprit.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi s_mack,

I think most people use the OSD single battery, so this is likely not a general issue. Would you be able to post a link to a short video showing the noise? That should help narrow it down.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Sure Billpa... I'll do that in the next 24 hours or so. I'm heading back home and should have some model time in between baby and wife time

Earlier I said I ruled it down to OSD but I meant to say "OSD or eLogger v4".... in that I have zero noise issues without those two components involved and severe noise issues with those involved. I can't say which of the two because I never tried any tests with one and not the other. I'll post some stuff soon, thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:01 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Alright, I got some videos up. Before everyone laughs, I'll acknowledge the following:
  • Yes, I had the camera upside down shut up.
  • I threw together a crappy means of recording, so the quality sucks... but is good enough to make my point
  • No audio, which is why I pointed the camera at my tx so you can see me manipulate the throttle. You can't hear the ESC arming tones (which also generates noise) but that happens in three "bursts" pretty much right when the OSD kicks in
  • Please focus on the noise introduced with throttle and ignore the other noise.

Part 1 - single battery with filtering. Notice the pretty bad noise on arming and, especially, when I give it throttle.

Part 2 - same but with no filtering. Really no difference so you can see that filtering isn't really the issue.

Part 3 - Now with 1 battery (with filtering). Virtually no throttle noise at all!

Part 4 - Again 1 battery but with zero filtering... still no throttle noise, again showing that filtering had little impact and isn't the issue.

I didn't show it in a test, but I want to note that even with a single battery, I get the same noise if I make use of the OSD's power/ground pass through for the cam/vtx. That's presumably because the ground isn't really a passthrough - it is shared.

Thanks for any help.

- Steven

edit: hmm. weird... its not letting me upload part 3. Doesn't matter... part 4 looks the exact same.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. The "shaking" of the OSD image (without movement of the video image) is what we normally see when there's not a good ground connection between the OSD and the Vtx + the OSD and the camera.

If it's convenient, can you do a quick sketch of your wiring and post that? Also, pls confirm that there is a direct connection between the camera's ground + VTx's ground and the OSD.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:57 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Well... considering the only way I can eliminate that throttle noise at all is to segregate the grounds... you now have me even more sure something is wrong with my unit. However, I'm now tending to think its the eLogger that's the culprit, and not the OSD. I did some more tests and I removed the OSD and kept the eLogger and the noise was as bad as ever. The moment I took the eLogger out of the equation as well, the noise was gone.

Note that I'm not talking about any shaking of the OSD image... I'm talking about the significant amount of horizontal banding that is evident when the throttle engages. Its completely gone with dual battery (as long as I do NOT connect vtx/cam ground to the OSD - which is completely against what you just suggested... unless you were only referring to a single-battery setup?) or single battery if I remove my EagleTree equipment.

Anyway, yes I will post a diagram shortly.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:10 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Here's how I have it at the moment... different than when I shot the video, but I assure you... the noise is the same.

Notes:
  • Green lines represent signal only. No V+ or ground
  • Blue lines represent Eagletree hardwired cables
  • Black are ground
  • Red are positive voltage
  • Grey are for the 3 motor wires
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks for posting the wiring diagram. I don't see anything unusual with it.

Based on your symptoms, could you try one more thing: disconnect the cable from the eLogger to the OSD, and see if the noise happens. You should still see the OSD's startup screen when you do this.

if the noise does not occur in the above test, temporarily remove the pin associated with the red wire from the connecter on the cable that goes from the OSD to the eLogger. If the noise comes back, also temporarily remove the white wire.
Site Sponsor