SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Joined Dec 2011
4,020 Posts
It's such a shame that the Robird FBL code basically got tossed into a dumpster. The unit "just worked" (unlike the Vbar which requires a lot of tuning) and with some additional PID tuning parameters it would have been perfect.

The thing that really confuses me is that the original owner didn't want to sell the hardware and code to Robird USA instead preferring to just let it rot.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by Powerdyne
KBDD Team Pilot
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,541 Posts
Yes, it is quite the shame. I would have liked to see some bluetooth capability, the ability to use the governor with a full Rx, and User defined RPM ranges for the governor.
Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TSA Infusion 600E Pro Build
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
934 Posts
Setup question

We are trying to setup a gift 450 with a G31.

Today during the setup, the TX inputs all show the correct direction and +/-100 ranges on Setup - Tab (page) 0.

Stepping through the pages, when we get to Tab2, the swash tilts "Backwards". We could not get our minds around how to change this to forward, or if that was important.

So we finished the setup and while holding the heli - ready to fly, and tilting it - it was obvious the swash is backwards. Not counter-acting a roll, but tilting toward the roll direction.

So we are back to thinking we have screwed up a step. Should the swash tip forward on Tab2, and if so, do we change the reverse options on Tab3 to get it to do so?
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:35 PM
KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2013
1,541 Posts
If the elevator servo pin is at the front, you need to check the checkbox. If it is at the back of the swash, it needs to be unchecked.

Then on tab 3, the swash will move to the up position. If not all servos move up, then you must tick the checkbox to reverse that servo.

You also need to go to tab 6, and select the proper installation direction of the unit.

Once all of these parameters are set properly, you will notice the correct swash corrections when going back to the Welcome screen to save the settings to the unit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:56 AM
KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2013
1,541 Posts
Okay, sorry again for the ressurection, but I found a little issue with using the Alpha Dev software that is attached to the first post of this thread.

If you are using the Developer tab in the software, there is a small issue with some settings not wanting to save.

The Dev software is handy for those of you using the Robird Governor, and hating the ultra slow spool up speed.

There are files that can be used, but those basically reset everything in the Robird. With the dev software you can change the spool up speed easily and keep all your settings.

I wrote a tutorial on how to get it done!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post31316392
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:59 AM
Find More Posts by GoElectric
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2002
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Unfortunately there is no create and save file function with the G31. They can easily do this with the PC software...
Wondering what is the latest status of the Save and Load of setting file function of Robird G31?

I am getting a second heli, I'd like to try the G31 on the 2nd heli before buying another gyro. I do not want to mess up with the 1st heli settings. Ideally the Save and Load function with user choose-able files would come in handy, however I come up with a mickey mouse solution at the time being but have not got a chance to try it out yet.

I have another computer, mac with Windows installed, if I setup the 2nd heli with a second computer, I should be able to have individual setting file on each computer. If I want to move back to the 1st setting, I just connect the G31 with the 1st computer and hit the Load button in the program, I should get the 1st setting back, right? Anyone tried this before? I'll report back after I try it myself.
GoElectric is offline Find More Posts by GoElectric
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:07 AM
KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2013
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoElectric View Post
Wondering what is the latest status of the Save and Load of setting file function of Robird G31?

I am getting a second heli, I'd like to try the G31 on the 2nd heli before buying another gyro. I do not want to mess up with the 1st heli settings. Ideally the Save and Load function with user choose-able files would come in handy, however I come up with a mickey mouse solution at the time being but have not got a chance to try it out yet.

I have another computer, mac with Windows installed, if I setup the 2nd heli with a second computer, I should be able to have individual setting file on each computer. If I want to move back to the 1st setting, I just connect the G31 with the 1st computer and hit the Load button in the program, I should get the 1st setting back, right? Anyone tried this before? I'll report back after I try it myself.
The save and load works just fine on one computer.

Just do the setup for the second bird, and once you get back to the welcome screen, click the save file button. Name the file for the heli in question e.g. "trex450L_1" and save it to a folder of your choosing or use the default folder that robird points to.

Then say you have another heli like a trex 500. Go through setup on that robird, and when done save it as something like trex500_1.

Then when you are connected to either one you can just hit load file, and choose what setup file you want. Then just click send to Robird.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2015, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by hogfish
Joined Feb 2013
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
It's such a shame that the Robird FBL code basically got tossed into a dumpster. The unit "just worked" (unlike the Vbar which requires a lot of tuning) and with some additional PID tuning parameters it would have been perfect.

The thing that really confuses me is that the original owner didn't want to sell the hardware and code to Robird USA instead preferring to just let it rot.
The first fbl gyro I tried was the infamous copterxcx2000 . It was every thing I was afraid of In a fbl gyro .
The next was the robird, I set it on 3d , put a little tail precomp , and upped the agility n cyclic some . It's been great ever since .
It takes a lot to bother it , if something does , it's a heads up ,
Love it . It keeps on ticking .
hogfish is offline Find More Posts by hogfish
Old May 20, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
5,027 Posts
Hi

Please correct me

I have a helicopter with flybar ... I'm under the impression that I can still use the Robird G31 to stabilize only the rudder just like any helicopter convention gyro (Futaba 501 for example ) would do ...

Thanks a lot for your help

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr