New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by jwp2
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,883 Posts
I remember when he did that. hat was a smart thing to do. If I had done the 3 wooden dowels I probably would never have needed the second popsicle stick.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
13,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I remember when he did that. hat was a smart thing to do. If I had done the 3 wooden dowels I probably would never have needed the second popsicle stick.
I hear ya Man. I did two popsical sticks and not by design. I screwed my first cut out and had to make up the difference by using a second popsical stick Which actually made out to my benefit

Have any of you seen the wood dowel nose mod? This mod really gives the nose great strength.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
9,539 Posts
Yeah I installed 3 before I realized there's no plastic on the wing where the middle one is

I'll either grind that one off or add some plastic to the rear of the wing in that location.

I didn't add the Popsicle stick, the dowels meet the plastic directly

pics should be in the thread's attachments as well as in my own. Will try to find the posts maybe tomorrow.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
3,033 Posts
The park where I usually fly has been very difficult lately. The grass was very tall (12" and up). When the grass is so tall, I usually go to the corner where there is a little league/softball diamond and fly from the dirt. However, with this summer's hot, dry conditions, the dirt has turned to soft sand. The park personnel have recently mowed the grass, so now its only about 3"-4" tall, but there in now a carpet of mowings covering the grass. Early in the morning, when there is dew on the grass, the wet mowings become like glue, preventing the planes from accelerating to take-off speed.

My modified SuperCub (ailerons and brushless motor) has usually been my fall back plane, because it will take-off and land in most conditions. Long ago I replaced the stock wheels with much thinner and larger wheels (thinner but similar to the DuBro 3" mini Sport Wheels). But last week, even my SuperCub had trouble at my park. The wheels could not get through the wet grass and clippings, and when I tried the "dirt", as the plane started to accelerate, with full up elevator to keep the tail down, the wheels dug into the sand and the plane nosed over. It took a couple of tries in different locations before I found a spot that was a little firmer and the plane was able to take off.

I went home and ordered a set of landing gear for the Sport Cub. I figured that if those large balloon wheels didn't work, nothing would. I was worried that the large bush wheels would not work on the original SuperCub's landing gear strut and that I would need to make modifications to get the SportCub strut to fit. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the SportCub wheels to be an almost perfect fit on the existing struts. The only modification that is required is to eliminate the "Z" bend where the strut transitions to the axle. With the Z bend, the balloon wheel rubs against the strut. Using a Vise Grip and an adjustable wrench it took only a few minutes to eliminate the bends. The Sport Cub wheels fit perfectly and you can still use the original threaded end cap to hold them in place.

Back to my troubled field. Take-offs from the grass were a piece of cake. The balloon wheels just sat on top of the cuttings and rolled with no problems. Landings where a little more difficult. If I flared just right, it landed fine. If I came in a little too hard, the wheels broke through the cuttings and became entangled, causing the plane to nose over.

I then tried the soft dirt. It was as if I was flying from a hard surface. The wheels perfectly rolled on the softest sand, on both take-off and landing. The only difficulty was steering with the tail wheel. It would immediately be buried in the sand and afford no control.

Overall, the modified SuperCub with the SportCub wheels is an incredible combination.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by jwp2
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,883 Posts
I'm going to order some Sport Cub wheels to help out on my grass field!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Out Standing In The Field
United States, CT, Middletown
Joined Feb 2014
438 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post, Leo! I have the same narrow 3" wheels on my Super Cub, and in most cases, as you say, they work fine. It's interesting how well the fat tire's "flotation" worked out for you in a tough set of conditions.

BTW, when grass is 12" high, it's officially hay!
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Sep 01, 2015, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,934 Posts
I used the wheels from an Apprentice because it looked more scale like and they were $5. I've actually removed the gear and hand launched and belly landed. Flew fine and was pretty unique in the air.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
Old Sep 01, 2015, 05:41 PM
Joined Feb 2014
438 Posts
^Retract-A-Cub!

I've done that too. It does work well!

How many inches are the Apprentice wheels? That sounds interesting, too.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
13,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
Thanks for the detailed post, Leo! I have the same narrow 3" wheels on my Super Cub, and in most cases, as you say, they work fine. It's interesting how well the fat tire's "flotation" worked out for you in a tough set of conditions.

BTW, when grass is 12" high, it's officially hay!
This is one of North's. Maybe this would do
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 01, 2015, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,934 Posts
They are 2.5". Seem about right size to me.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
Old Sep 02, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by Scott Todd
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
464 Posts
A friend passed and his wife asked me to help with his stuff. In it he had almost all the parts to build a Cub. I thought I would finish it to honor him and have a keepsake in his memory. The Local Hobby store had the blue sticker sheet and the wing struts. I put an Eflite 450 with an Eflite 30A ESC in it from his stuff. He was a bigger hitec fan than I so I used a bunch of his servos. There is an HS65MG on elevator and rudder. and 55's in the wing.

I added the screw eye mod found here for the struts. I moved the buttons in the wings out about 1/2 inch to keep the struts taught. The wing was pretty hangar rashed but I decided to use it anyways. The flap and aileron were cut out as one piece and then separated. I beveled the aileron and hinged the flap on the bottom. Ailerons are on seperate channels so I can use 'super flaps' and crow. I removed most of the plastic battery box and added a ply tray. The receiver is on the top of the ply plate. I added a piece or 3/32 ply over the old firewall mount using the original screw holes. I then used 1 inch threaded nylon standoffs from the hardware store to mount the motor. It took just a little trimming to get the right and down thrust correct and center the prop in the cowl.

What a blast to fly! Today was flights 5 and 6. The super flaps and crow are fun to play with. With full flaps and full crow, it can dive straight at the end of the runway from any altitude with a round out and flare in 40-50 feet. The terminal velocity straight down is amazingly slow! With full flaps, I was taking off a table in about 1 foot. Rolling circles on the deck are just wrong but fun to do. I did 14 minutes of touch and go's on a 1300 battery. I'll probably stick to the 1000's as they are easier to get in and out. I'll add more photos if anyone wants them. I think I need to build a matching red one now to share with friends

Please don't quote this post as I may edit it later.
Scott Todd is online now Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Old Sep 02, 2015, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2014
438 Posts
Nice job, Scott - you did your late friend proud!
Your "full house" flap setup sounds very interesting, and like a lot of fun to experiment with.
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by subhan.nasir
Nasir Khan
Australia, NSW, Fairfield
Joined Feb 2009
373 Posts
Very nice Scott. Can you please post pics of your battery bay? Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Nas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd View Post
A friend passed and his wife asked me to help with his stuff. In it he had almost all the parts to build a Cub. I thought I would finish it to honor him and have a keepsake in his memory. The Local Hobby store had the blue sticker sheet and the wing struts. I put an Eflite 450 with an Eflite 30A ESC in it from his stuff. He was a bigger hitec fan than I so I used a bunch of his servos. There is an HS65MG on elevator and rudder. and 55's in the wing.

I added the screw eye mod found here for the struts. I moved the buttons in the wings out about 1/2 inch to keep the struts taught. The wing was pretty hangar rashed but I decided to use it anyways. The flap and aileron were cut out as one piece and then separated. I beveled the aileron and hinged the flap on the bottom. Ailerons are on seperate channels so I can use 'super flaps' and crow. I removed most of the plastic battery box and added a ply tray. The receiver is on the top of the ply plate. I added a piece or 3/32 ply over the old firewall mount using the original screw holes. I then used 1 inch threaded nylon standoffs from the hardware store to mount the motor. It took just a little trimming to get the right and down thrust correct and center the prop in the cowl.

What a blast to fly! Today was flights 5 and 6. The super flaps and crow are fun to play with. With full flaps and full crow, it can dive straight at the end of the runway from any altitude with a round out and flare in 40-50 feet. The terminal velocity straight down is amazingly slow! With full flaps, I was taking off a table in about 1 foot. Rolling circles on the deck are just wrong but fun to do. I did 14 minutes of touch and go's on a 1300 battery. I'll probably stick to the 1000's as they are easier to get in and out. I'll add more photos if anyone wants them. I think I need to build a matching red one now to share with friends

Please don't quote this post as I may edit it later.
subhan.nasir is offline Find More Posts by subhan.nasir
Old Sep 02, 2015, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by Scott Todd
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
464 Posts
If you will delete the quote
Scott Todd is online now Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by jwp2
United States, IL, Essex