HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:04 PM
United States, NM, Alamogordo
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Installed the power 60, and it is about 1/4" too short. I can use some spacers and longer screws. What have others done to solve this problem?
I used the stock back plate and motor collar from the stock motor on the pw60. Then just put shims between the back plate and the motor.
NMdesertracer is offline Find More Posts by NMdesertracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:06 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,241 Posts
Quote:
Installed the power 60, and it is about 1/4" too short. I can use some spacers and longer screws. What have others done to solve this problem?

Just use the small washers you see in the below picture. I used a little contact cement to position them.

Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
My G/F got some videos of my son and I Flying.
E-flite Carbon Z Cub and Tower Hobbies Vista Tow (5 min 11 sec)
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Just use the small washers you see in the below picture. I used a little contact cement to position them.
Thanks for the replies, guys. I must be the only guy in the known universe trying to install one of these with a bolt on prop adapter. I'm concerned about a collet on a motor this size. I guess I will use some 1/4" spacers and replace the screws with some longer ones.

Also FWIW, instead of removing the connectors from the motor wires, I soldered the female connectors that came with the motor into the male connectors that came with the Talon, to make adapters. Here's a couple crappy phone pix of the motor and adapters
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
I got one of those bolt on adapters also. For me it was to far in the cowling. So I used the supplied prop adapter in the pw60's box. Even if you doubled the back plates I dont think the prop would stick out far enough.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys. I must be the only guy in the known universe trying to install one of these with a bolt on prop adapter. I'm concerned about a collet on a motor this size. I guess I will use some 1/4" spacers and replace the screws with some longer ones.

Also FWIW, instead of removing the connectors from the motor wires, I soldered the female connectors that came with the motor into the male connectors that came with the Talon, to make adapters. Here's a couple crappy phone pix of the motor and adapters
I wouldn't worry about it too much, the collet that is. I've been flying mine hard for quite a while now and zero problems with a clamp on collet. I do use the one that comes with the Tru-Turn spinners, but would not hesitate one second about using the stock collet. In fact I'm planning to use the OEM stock collet with the new Extreme Flight spinner when I get it. I just returned home from flying my EF Edge 540T and my Carbon Z Cub. I ran them both equally hard today, and maybe just a tad harder on the Cub. I ran one 5K zippy down to 17% in just 6 minutes. I was pulling a lot of watts up there and a lot of off and back on the throttle. Can bend a prop adapter but I doubt you'll have one come off, if properly installed.

But the bolt on units are tough, but not needed in this case,

Bert
Sideslip is offline Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much, the collet that is. I've been flying mine hard for quite a while now and zero problems with a clamp on collet. I do use the one that comes with the Tru-Turn spinners, but would not hesitate one second about using the stock collet. In fact I'm planning to use the OEM stock collet with the new Extreme Flight spinner when I get it. I just returned home from flying my EF Edge 540T and my Carbon Z Cub. I ran them both equally hard today, and maybe just a tad harder on the Cub. I ran one 5K zippy down to 17% in just 6 minutes. I was pulling a lot of watts up there and a lot of off and back on the throttle. Can bend a prop adapter but I doubt you'll have one come off, if properly installed.

Bert

+1 Bert
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,388 Posts
I used a prop adapter with a set screw as I have had the collet type come off.

This is the one I have - have had zero issues.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Prop-Ada...crew-G-163.htm
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post

I buy the same from HeadsupRC but the collet version. Problem free. But like any 2.4 hp motor it's best to keep your head out of line when spooling up the motor whether collet or set screw. Set screws can back off too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post

Bert
Dang. I don't want to take the motor apart again to move the shaft back up front. (Whines)
Haven't flown my Edge in a while. Need to get it out.

Chuck
Old Today, 08:10 AM
United States, ME
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post

I've had the collet come off twice. Each time I ended up with slight damage to the cowling and wing when the prop flew off. Everything appears to be correctly balanced and tight before flying but now I'm afraid to fly again until I change over to another type of collet. Think I will try the HeadsUpHobby one referenced above.
Jeff04011 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff04011
Old Today, 08:38 AM
Mobyal
United States, VA, Lexington
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
You're over draining the batteries. Resting voltage should be around 3.8v. And your motor sounds like mine did when it burned out.

Call HH.
I did. I'll take the airplane apart, remove the motor, box it up and send it back to them. It'll go out today. After that, we'll see what happens. They say it'll be a 6-day turnaround.
Mobyal is online now Find More Posts by Mobyal
Old Today, 10:56 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,786 Posts
Ran 8 packs at 8 minutes each. My wife even stopped by the field. Even though she could care less about my models, she was impressed by the CZC. Yay!!
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Today, 11:12 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyal View Post
I did. I'll take the airplane apart, remove the motor, box it up and send it back to them. It'll go out today. After that, we'll see what happens. They say it'll be a 6-day turnaround.
I took my motor apart and sent them some pix to the CS warranty site, then called with the ref # and they sent me a new motor. Took about 3 days, and I didn't have to mess with sending it back.
Old Today, 12:25 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Dang. I don't want to take the motor apart again to move the shaft back up front. (Whines)
Haven't flown my Edge in a while. Need to get it out.

Chuck
I installed my p60 using the supplied bolt on adaptor as I don't like the collet. I used two old motor mounts, cut the 4 ears off and bolted them to the firewall using the original motor mount and longer bolts through the three mounts to the motor, that way I still used the original bolts for the firewall and did not have to use washers. This set the prop a perfect fit.
fredrounsavall is offline Find More Posts by fredrounsavall