Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into RC planes after 15 years

New here, love the look and feel of this forum and the fact that its on tapatalk. Anyway I stopped flying in the late 90s, still have all my RC stuff from back then and I want to get back into the hobby. I'm going to get new aircraft as I only have a trainer and Stik left and both are pretty shot. Engines and radios are good though, I've got:

-1 OS .40 2 stroke
-2 OS .46 2 strokes
-1 OS 1.20 Surpass 4 stroke
-2 Futaba 4 Channel Skysport FM radios
-1 Futaba 6 Channel FM radio
-All sorts of misc supplies/props/starter/fuel pump/lines/wheels etc...

I'm going to buy an Avistar II ARF since I already have all the other stuff and don't need a RTF, however I am wondering if I should just dump the FM radios and pick up a 2.4GHZ setup. I literally had no idea these even existed until I started looking into getting back into the hobby recently and it really is about time we didn't have to fight over signal tags or worry about some idiot turning on a transmitter with the same frequency. I've always been a fan of Futaba but do I really need a FAAST system or am I fine going with a Hitec Optic 6 with 2 receivers for $200 on Tower or do I just stick with the FMs I have? I'm going to need all new battery packs for the FMs which will cost probably at least $120 for all 3 radios so...

Also going to be going to a local club meeting tomorrow night and hopefully I'll be up and flying in a few weeks. I was a pretty good pilot back in the day so hopefully it comes back pretty fast. Definitely looking forward to looking around all over this forum, lots of great info and links to stuff that might be a little hard to find using Google.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
hey welcome back! I too have strayed from the path a few times!

theres nothing wrong with your FM, the 6 channel anyway! I still fly my ol futaba stuff! I also fly with FLYSKY from hobbypartz, I use both there 6 and 9 channel with great success.

one thing about the ol FM stuff is with everyone else, going 2.4. the frequencies tend to be open!

getting new batts is a must! and you should have no problem getting back on the sticks, just take it easy the first flight or so!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Yeah I am thinking that the old 72mhz frequencies will all be open. I have to see if that local club around here has outlawed them or not before I do make any final decision. Also how much batteries will cost etc... If I didn't already have the stuff no way in hell I would stay 72mhz. If my local club allows it I might just toss the 6 ch Futaba into the Avistar when I get it and then make that my backup plane later when I've got one 2.4ghz transmitter controlling a bunch of other receivers. One transmitter goes out and the fleet is grounded. That kind of sucks...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
Hello and welcome back. I am interested in the -2 OS .46 2 strokes, & your misc supplies/props/starter/fuel pump/lines/wheels etc...
ESP if you have extra engine screws (OS especially).
Send a pic/stats and your prices.
Paypal ready!
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Well the nice thing about all the fancy new 2.4ghz is that all the frequency tags are always avalible. I see it as an advantage. If you have the money I would get the 2.4ghz, but it is definataly not needed. The reason I haven't switched yet is I am already setup for all my planes. If I were to buy a new radio, not a big deal, but to buy 6 new receivers at 50-60 bucks a pop, it adds up quick. My little old 72mhz works great for me. Welcome back, I hope you catch on again real quick. I bet you will, most guys that come back do.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant92 View Post
Hello and welcome back. I am interested in the -2 OS .46 2 strokes, & your misc supplies/props/starter/fuel pump/lines/wheels etc...
ESP if you have extra engine screws (OS especially).
Send a pic/stats and your prices.
Paypal ready!
Uh, this isn't the classifieds I was just listing what I still have in case someone came in and said "those are bad now because XYZ". I will not be selling anything because I have enough stuff to buy 3 aircraft and run them all without needing to buy anything else literally except new batteries for the radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Well the nice thing about all the fancy new 2.4ghz is that all the frequency tags are always avalible. I see it as an advantage. If you have the money I would get the 2.4ghz, but it is definataly not needed. The reason I haven't switched yet is I am already setup for all my planes. If I were to buy a new radio, not a big deal, but to buy 6 new receivers at 50-60 bucks a pop, it adds up quick. My little old 72mhz works great for me. Welcome back, I hope you catch on again real quick. I bet you will, most guys that come back do.
Yeah I do have the money to get it... but just looking at all the stuff I found there is literally nothing wrong with any of my 72mhz stuff, the batteries are even holding charges over hours but I don't trust them being over 12 years old... This leads me to my other line of thinking though... New transmitter battery is $30 and new receiver battery is $20 plus whatever shipping is. To get all my radios up and running that is $150 which isn't much less than an Airtronics 8 channel setup or a Hitec 6 channel setup with 2 receivers. Yeah I still have to buy batteries for the receivers but you see where I am going with this obviously. Then again, I'll have 3 radio systems good to go for $150... They're all Futabas and I never once had an issue with interference or anything using them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
657 Posts
Personally, don't sweat the batteries that are working. Cycle them a couple of times and if they work, they work. I had a radio sitting for over 10 years and the battery holds a great charge and works great (Futaba Conquest), and also just picked up another as a package that holds as good a charge as mine and has also not been used in quite some time. Receiver batteries hold a great charge too! The newer Skysport that came with the package was done!

Just my $.02
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
I agree with NEW. I would get new reciever batterys, but the TX battery, as long as it is holding a charge, will be fine.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Well after cycling it a few times it isn't holding as great as I'd hoped. This is a Skysport 6A radio bought in 1995, the battery is pushing 20 years old so I ordered a new one. Ordered new RX /TX batteries, an Avistar Elite, new glow igniter, new 12v battery some other misc stuff...

Went to the meeting tonight at my local club and everyone was really friendly, they are not banning 72mhz anytime soon, the Vice President of the club says he still uses AM for a few old aircraft lol. I need a receiver battery for any new radio I get nowadays so that's a wash and $37 to get my old 6 channel that never gave me any issues back up and running... too hard to justify even spending $90 on a basic Hitec 5 channel. I'll get a nice 8 channel 2.4ghz for my first omg expensive big aircraft and then convert over everything else slowly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
sounds like your on the right road Scotty!

you will be enjoying some quality airtime in no time!

thats pretty much how I did it, upgraded my old futaba stuff enough to get back in the air, then slowly start upgrading ta newer and "better" haha stuff, ok it's newer!

let us know how it goes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
sounds like your on the right road Scotty!

you will be enjoying some quality airtime in no time!

thats pretty much how I did it, upgraded my old futaba stuff enough to get back in the air, then slowly start upgrading ta newer and "better" haha stuff, ok it's newer!

let us know how it goes!
Yeah im trying. Have not even had my first flight back yet and im already having to stop myself buying what i always wanted as a teenager, a multi engine warbird. That ESM B-25 is looking VERY good to me right now but ill try to hold off until i get good at flying again.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
yes I have a student, that went and bought himself a corsiar, before he ever solo'd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:06 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
I came back to RC after about 15 years also. I was surprised how quickly my thumbs came back to me for general flying around. I would have the occasional whoopsie with wrong aileron input on turn to final. It just took some concentration to take care of that problem. I restarted with a Hangar 9 Cap 232. Maybe not the best choice but it worked for me. I guess I did fly a club members low wing sportish kind of plane for about a half of tank of fuel first.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
+1 so far... and there may still be hope for your 'old' 72Mhz Futaba system...
if it's modular, (has the tx crystal in a removable plug in module on the back of the tx)
you can get a 2.4 ghz module and move forward
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBHZT&P=7
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
I am confused by those modules, can someone enlighten those of us who don't know much about radios?