HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy ER9X with Frsky and telemetry question

HI, I am trying to get Frsky to work in my transmitter. I am running ER9X I flashed using a USB type flasher.

I recently bought Frsky to help with my range, but I decided to opt for the telemetry module and reciever so that in the future I could use this, but for now I don't really plan to.

After installing the module, I can't get the reciever to bind with the transmitter. Do I need to install the ER9X Frsky firmware? Do I need a smartie board still? or will this work?

Thanks,

John
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post
HI, I am trying to get Frsky to work in my transmitter. I am running ER9X I flashed using a USB type flasher.

I recently bought Frsky to help with my range, but I decided to opt for the telemetry module and reciever so that in the future I could use this, but for now I don't really plan to.

After installing the module, I can't get the reciever to bind with the transmitter. Do I need to install the ER9X Frsky firmware? Do I need a smartie board still? or will this work?

Thanks,

John
The er9x firmware is independent of the FrSky Binding... It should bind, can you verify that the transmitter FrSky module is powered and is switched to the right mode for the receiver type (V8 or telemetry) you have?
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
I was under the impression that you needed to install the smartiparts board in order to flash er9x firmware to the radio, maybe I'm wrong. As for the Frsky module, you should be able to bind the receiver to the radio without using the telemetry options at this time and without using the frsky firmware, as long as you are using the current module and receiver combo and have performed the required mods that might be needed.
What combination of radio version and module version are you using? Which receiver are you using?
skyraider6 is offline Find More Posts by skyraider6
Last edited by skyraider6; Feb 18, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:11 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraider6 View Post
I was under the impression that you needed to install the smartiparts board in order to flash er9x firmware to the radio, maybe I'm wrong. As for the Frsky module, you should be able to bind the receiver to the radio without using the telemetry options at this time and without using the frsky firmware, as long as you are using the current module and receiver combo and have performed the required mods that might be needed.
What combination of radio version and module version are you using? Which receiver are you using?
The smartieparts board is a "preferred" method of installing custom firmware. It eliminates (assuming you have the correct board in your transmitter) soldering and yes it is required to install the firmware such as ER9x (is there any other? ). If you don't have the correct version (the pins don't all line up), then you are left to solder in a board. The smartieparts board is great quality, supported very well and eliminates the hassle of soldering really small wires while providing a backlight.

I see that you have installed ER9X - if you have not used it before, that is very possibly your problem (there may be no output until you set up your mixers - select the 4 channel simple to at least get something on the PPM output).

I use the D6FR receivers (and D8R-II) and DHT RF module (DIY). Note that there is a switch that can put the DHT in V8 (non-telemetry) mode for compatibility with non-telemetry receivers (I have not used that). Binding and functioning of the FrSky system is independent of the transmitter firmware but you will need the PPM signal to have function. If you can't bind then it is either wired wrong or you have a failed module/receiver. If you have not used this system before, read the instructions very carefully on how to bind and follow it (not trying to be smart - I just don't recall what they are).

I will also tell you that I had a "bad" DIY module out of the box and it "worked" in that it did bind but range was crap (like 2 inches in low power range check mode). The second one has been fine and far exceeds my expectations. For $22, I just bought another one. I dissected the first one and saw some frayed wires that may have shorted but who knows what really happened - wasn't worth the effort to worry about. On the second unit there was no fraying.

Scott
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
It have to work.
Firmware can be upgraded by any Atmel programmer.
To see and set telemetry of FrSky, 9x needs hardware mod of board (to free serial port pins from menu button and switch), RS-232 to TTL voltage level conversion (or mod of FrSky module to reach TTL signal before RS-232 chip), and firmware (ER9x or Gruvin9x) of different version than no-telemetry one, that deals with moddified board layout.

Well, but, some time ago, there were troubles with 5V of output signal level of 9x, and 3.3V voltage of Frsky procesor (and perhaps other modules as well) - a resistor or diode to avoid overloading module input, was missing at both sides. But I have heard somewhere that newer modules from FrSky should be ok - but I am not sure whether your module is "newer" ?
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
No Telemetry data

Hey all,
i've posted in the 9x forums as well, but haven't got a response.
I am running the latest er9x-frsky-noht firmware on my turnigy, have the smartieparts board with the sparkfun rs232 adapter. Everything is wired up, i was able to flash the telemetry firmware, and can fly fine, i just am not getting any data through to the transmitter. my rxd is showing 0.08v, and txd is showing around 5v. the +5v and ground on the telemetry port are not connected. the signals are definitely getting to the smartieparts pins, but i can't check the main board with the radio on. Am i missing something? It seems that it is always something stupit or minute that i miss, but i am at a complete loss this time.... Thanks~
Giaco
Giaco is offline Find More Posts by Giaco
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giaco View Post
Hey all,
i've posted in the 9x forums as well, but haven't got a response.
I am running the latest er9x-frsky-noht firmware on my turnigy, have the smartieparts board with the sparkfun rs232 adapter. Everything is wired up, i was able to flash the telemetry firmware, and can fly fine, i just am not getting any data through to the transmitter. my rxd is showing 0.08v, and txd is showing around 5v. the +5v and ground on the telemetry port are not connected. the signals are definitely getting to the smartieparts pins, but i can't check the main board with the radio on. Am i missing something? It seems that it is always something stupit or minute that i miss, but i am at a complete loss this time.... Thanks~
Giaco
Do you see the receiver and transmitter signal strengths?

And you need to scale the inputs in the transmitter to get the right voltages based upon your receiver and battery sensor scaling.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Do you see the receiver and transmitter signal strengths?

And you need to scale the inputs in the transmitter to get the right voltages based upon your receiver and battery sensor scaling.
No, all i am getting is "NO DATA" i don't get RSSI, intenal voltage or anything. I figured if i screwed up the soldering job, then the radio probably shouldn't work right... unless im missing something....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:01 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
No, all i am getting is "NO DATA" i don't get RSSI, intenal voltage or anything. I figured if i screwed up the soldering job, then the radio probably shouldn't work right... unless im missing something....
What exactly is your configuration? RF Module, Reciever?

Double check your wiring - did you reverse the leads on the RF module output? What wiring diagram did you use for your effort?

Scott
And that only power, ground, PPM are needed for the RF link to work for actual control. The other wires on the separate connector are for the data.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
What exactly is your configuration? RF Module, Reciever?

Double check your wiring - did you reverse the leads on the RF module output? What wiring diagram did you use for your effort?

Scott
And that only power, ground, PPM are needed for the RF link to work for actual control. The other wires on the separate connector are for the data.
RF Module is the FRSky DIY w/ telemetry from hobbyking
Receiver is the FRSky D8R-2 Plus
Firmware is the latest er9x-frsky-noht

I have looked around inside, but can't figure out where i am going wrong. I don't want to go switching wires, for fear that i will smoke it out. I used the parts and instructions from er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/FRSKYTelemetry.pdf
the only thing that i did not do per the photos (no instruction for it) was the yellow wire on step 3. He doesn't discuss this, but there are also wires that disappear between steps 2 and 3 on the smartieparts board. Thanks for the help!
Giaco
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Binding has nothing at all to do with the FW in the radio. It will bind as per the instructions for your Frsky Rx/module.

Did you re-route the pins on the Atmega64 processor? If so, then with the Er9 Frsky Fw installed your throttle and aileron switches should work. If they do not work then those two wires have a problem or you didn't re-route them..

The Rs232 wiring could be the problem.

It seems you have a good grip on what needs to be done so I would start checking everything with your multimeter.

However, none of that matters unless your Rx is bound.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacher10 View Post
Binding has nothing at all to do with the FW in the radio. It will bind as per the instructions for your Frsky Rx/module.

Did you re-route the pins on the Atmega64 processor? If so, then with the Er9 Frsky Fw installed your throttle and aileron switches should work. If they do not work then those two wires have a problem or you didn't re-route them..

The Rs232 wiring could be the problem.

It seems you have a good grip on what needs to be done so I would start checking everything with your multimeter.

However, none of that matters unless your Rx is bound.

Rx is bound properly, Aircraft flies just fine with the current setup, i just don't get any telemetry data across. Both the throttle and aileron switches work, as i have them tied to trainer and dual rates (respectively). I guess i will have to just re-solder the connections on the smartieparts and sparkfun boards, as i just don't know what else it could be.... Thanks for your help
Giaco
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Rx is bound properly, Aircraft flies just fine with the current setup, i just don't get any telemetry data across. Both the throttle and aileron switches work, as i have them tied to trainer and dual rates (respectively). I guess i will have to just re-solder the connections on the smartieparts and sparkfun boards, as i just don't know what else it could be.... Thanks for your help
Giaco
Did you use the FRSKY Telemetry guide by Rob Thomson?
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk...YTelemetry.pdf
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Did you use the FRSKY Telemetry guide by Rob Thomson?
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk...YTelemetry.pdf
Yeah, thats the guide that i used. Everything is soldered and done exactly how he said.... the only thing i wonder about is that yellow wire in step 3... i double checked my solder joints today, and miso and MOSI connect all the way in to the pcb from the module. When the tx and rx first make connection, i get a red LED flash on the sparkfun board, and then another quick flash when the throttle safety logic finishes. After that, just the green LED is on. Is there some way to verify that I am actually getting telemetry, and am going after the right problem?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, thats the guide that i used. Everything is soldered and done exactly how he said.... the only thing i wonder about is that yellow wire in step 3... i double checked my solder joints today, and miso and MOSI connect all the way in to the pcb from the module. When the tx and rx first make connection, i get a red LED flash on the sparkfun board, and then another quick flash when the throttle safety logic finishes. After that, just the green LED is on. Is there some way to verify that I am actually getting telemetry, and am going after the right problem?
Just double check that the connector (telemetry) is on correctly - check pin out vs connector very closely and where the go to the sparkfun board.

Take a look at my transmitter (it is spread apart and prior to FrSky module being installed) to see how I wired it... Note I reused some existing resistors so looks a little different.