HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
108 Posts
Discussion
New radio???

So what ever became of that radio that so many were drooling over?? Was it ever made or just another waste of time pipe dream???
maccountrypilot is offline Find More Posts by maccountrypilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
It was made, but has not yet been released. There is coding to finish still.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2014, 10:23 AM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
123 Posts
Pipe dream

Jim:
It is hard to sell your system to a new flier without a transmitter.
How due you ask someone to buy your receiver, then say you need to go
out and find a used transmitter to convert? He doesn't know what you
are talking about. It is easier to say Futaba.
Darryl Usher NP Oregon
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
We sell transmitter modules and receivers every single day, so it's pretty clear that we don't "need" a transmitter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2014, 07:45 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
62 Posts
I agree with you Jim your sales show that your business model a transmitter was not necessary in the beginning however as reliable as the XPS products are your business has evolved from that business model and if you look at the list of names you've acquired for the new transmitter those are 99 % XPS customers and were on board with you that will be a great addition to your list of products you offer to existing and new customers ask yourself this would you prefer to fly your most expensive plane with any old transmitter made with parts from the lowest bidder or use your very own XPS spec built and coded transmitter and there's your answer so stay the course and bring on those transmitters and you'll have no problem seeing those pallets go empty, I personally have 14 grandkids and I'm getting 4 when I get the email .........a loyal XPS customer
Jacksmobile is offline Find More Posts by Jacksmobile
Old Sep 06, 2014, 07:54 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
I would suggest that the reason you sell those is because right now that is the only way to use your system.
I find it hard to understand, from a purely commercial business perspective, why you would ignore the Hundreds, maybe Thousands of Dollars in cash flow that is out there, has been for several years just waiting for the release of a Transmitter that has been talked about on an off for several years.
You have great many happy customers but doesn't the Transmitter wait list tell you anything?

The Transmitter would be the gateway to a far bigger customer base..

Just my 2 cents.
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:19 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,482 Posts
If the Aurora 9 is any indication, transmitters will become harder to convert to XPS.

But that never stopped me from sending my favorite metal box 70s transmitters to Tony Stillman for conversion to XPS
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Sep 06, 2014, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,266 Posts
I do want one

- but this does pose a good point.

The RF components are all electronic, but when you sell a transmitter all the switches, potentiometers, gimbals, and the rest of the mechanical parts that could fail I could see a liability issue. Not trying to talk anyone out of making this radio but it does open up a possible can of worms.

I think this radio would be a huge hit but I did recently obtain a Tranis to convert to 2.4, and still use my 72 mhz radios.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Sep 06, 2014, 12:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
Obviously, a transmitter is a natural progression for the product line. I am not ignoring that fact, I am merely choosing to develop items that at this time are more important for our business. The Aurora 9 is an easy conversion to XPS - just pop in the A9 specific module.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2014, 01:08 PM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
Joined Apr 2006
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
- but this does pose a good point.

The RF components are all electronic, but when you sell a transmitter all the switches, potentiometers, gimbals, and the rest of the mechanical parts that could fail I could see a liability issue. Not trying to talk anyone out of making this radio but it does open up a possible can of worms.

I think this radio would be a huge hit but I did recently obtain a Tranis to convert to 2.4, and still use my 72 mhz radios.
There are risks in nearly every adventure. Besides, electronics can fail just as easily as as mechanical components. And what about the untested bug in programming? Software is always being updated to fix a problem. The list of liabilities could be enormous as has been proven over the years with the auto industry. SO what's your point? Don't build it because it might break?
tholmes345 is offline Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old Sep 06, 2014, 01:27 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,266 Posts
yep, I THINK you GOT it.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Sep 06, 2014, 06:24 PM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
499 Posts
Hey Jim I might get a no on this question but I will ask anyway.

I fly helis with a futaba 8U and 9c on XPS modules, so I have slow CCPM swash mixing coming out of the radios. I am happy to wait on your 3216 Tx which should solve that CCPM mixing latency but till then...

I wonder if you could put heli CCPM swash mixing into the X10 or RFU or nano which I could then setup my swash in the XDP software? Im thinking even with the 3216 doing the swash mixing I would lose some servo resolution.

Can we heli pilots have our own flavor of x10 or nano? Thanks

Currently I use a CSM cyclock which does all the mixing on the heli. but its not sold anymore and was a added expense/deivice
Ghia is offline Find More Posts by Ghia
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:40 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
The problem with the 9C is that the calculations take some arbitrary length of time, and when they are done the result is then output. The 9C's CCPM is always 2 frames (best case) behind, but typically it's 3-4 frames behind. There is nothing that you can do to fix the issue except change radios. Ironically, the 9C's aircraft mode is very fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:15 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,703 Posts
Ghia and Jim,

I also use Futaba 9C and 8U transmitters with XPS modules. For helis the Tx is programmed for swash type #1 which they refer to as "single servo" mode. I think that the 3-axis FBL gyro does the swashplate mixing.

When I first started with helis I used the 8U and then the 9C with the Tx-based 120 degree swashplate mixing turned on. The flybar equipped helis were very stable. Because I was just learning to fly the things I never noticed the delays.

Do we get the Tx calculation delays you speak of even with the newer 3-axis FBL gyros doing the swashplate mixing?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:05 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
If you have the Tx setup so it is outputting pitch, yaw, and roll (elevator, rudder, aileron) and no swash mixing, then there would be no real delay in response when using a FBL system because they are incredibly fast.
RCG Plus Member