SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:42 PM
Sweden
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Discussion
HK Predator 650 Folding Quad

What do you guys think of this one?

Seems a bit on the heavy side if you ask me, and a bit "over engineered" I bet they could shave off at least 100g by loosing some of the the flashy angles and folds?

Link to frame: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sion_Kit_.html
vic viper is offline Find More Posts by vic viper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
700 Posts
they've taken the weakest point from the tarot frames, made a knockoff of those parts, and then made a frame that's heavier than the tarot's hexacopter.
mysql101 is offline Find More Posts by mysql101
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:10 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,660 Posts
Well it IS designed for 11+-inch props, so they want it to be a lifter....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:14 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
522 Posts
I think it is cool they are trying to make something unusual and different.
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:59 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,386 Posts
It'd be great to see a front mounted gimbal option for this frame. Instead of hanging a Tarot at the bottom.
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:55 AM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
I really dig the way the arms fold - it would make my transport life a lot easier. I can get my Tarot 680 in the back of the Prius with the props on, but only just. I'd really prefer to crate it for transport, but the crate won't fit. This fold design would fix that right up.

That said, I don't care for the clips (even though I fly with them now), and the weight is rough. I don't think it has so much to do with the carbon parts as those giant Alu motor/ESC mounts. That's a lot of metal.

I also think that if you're going to build an H-quad, it should have a clean section for the battery, FC, and GoPro. It would probably be easy to add one to this design - why not do it from the start?

Finally, the landing gear seem totally inadequate. They're stiff in the wrong direction, too short to allow any but the most compact gimbals, and somewhat pointless, since the H-frame allows for a front-mounted gimbal.

That said, I'm still considering ordering one to hack away at. I really like the 25mm spine, and did I mention I love the folding scheme?
Jeremy Sebens is online now Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:12 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
HK seems to be already out of stock. If someone had bougth it and built it - please post pictures / comments.
kuvera is offline Find More Posts by kuvera
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:19 AM
Joined Nov 2013
14 Posts
Someone uploaded the assembly manual:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1X318849X4.pdf

Still waiting for mine...
joe2000 is online now Find More Posts by joe2000
Last edited by joe2000; Feb 27, 2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:31 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
is it possible to mount a tarot gimbal there?
kuvera is offline Find More Posts by kuvera
Old Feb 27, 2014, 03:52 AM
Joined Nov 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvera View Post
is it possible to mount a tarot gimbal there?
I will test this as soon as I recieve my kit. I really hope this will fit...
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
I got mine yesterday and spent some time working at it last night.

It's pretty clear that the rails aren't high enough for my Tarot T2D in the stock position, but I think I've worked out an effective kitbash to put the rails on top and the tray on bottom. That should allow enough height to hang the T2D off the front, which is where it belongs on an H-quad anyway.

Moving the rails to the top seems pretty straightforward, but required grinding a bit off of one piece so far. Once I have it all built up, I'll post pics of the needed modifications.

Overall quality seems about equal to my Tarot frames. The plates do seem to be a carbon-glass-carbon sandwich, but I can live with that at this price.

The motor mounts aren't as heavy as I expected - 32g each, compared with 16g for the Tarot clamp-and-carbon-motor-plate style. Once you account for the weight of the extra tube needed with the Tarot mount, that's not a bad penalty for what amounts to a nice place to put a motor and ESC.

Sunnysky 4108s almost fit. With a couple minutes putting a chamfer on the end of the fins in the ESC section, I think I can get them on there. This is good news for me, as the 380kV version is giving me really great efficiency on my Hexa (20+ min). I'd like to post that sort of flight time with this frame, which will be much more transportable.
Last edited by Jeremy Sebens; Mar 07, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
OK, so it's possible to build this frame up to take a Tarot gimbal. Pictures are attached below. I swapped the rails onto the top, and ended up with just enough length to hang the T2D.

Overall, I think this is a nice frame with a few infuriatingly difficult-to-access screws, mostly because of the landing gear. I don't think it will be exactly what I was hoping for (a compact heavy-lift quad/x8 that could hoist a GHT 3-axis unit) without extensive modification. I'm still happy with it, but it's been demoted to the position of compact GoPro/point+shoot carrier in my mental hangar.

I'll try to follow up more with what I'd like to see improved, but for now, here are some pics with the Tarot mounted.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Nov 2013
14 Posts
Can you upload some close ups of your modifications?
But over all, I think the Hobbykind alien frame is the better choice for carrying a tarot gimbal...
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Modifications is too strong a word. Once I had the four main frames assembled, I started putting everything that read "top" in the instructions on the bottom, and vice versa.

The only thing I actually had to modify was the part in the attached pic. It needed to be ground down to fit between the front landing gear brackets. This is after grinding, and it's really hard to distinguish it from the stock shape.

I agree that the Alien would be a better GoPro Hauler. The Alien wasn't yet out when I ordered this one, though. If the rail mounts were more substantial on the Predator, I think it would be a great compact lifter, but as designed, I wouldn't trust the rails with a lot of weight, either out in front or underneath. It's well worth the price I think, but not as awesome as I had initially hoped.

Still, there are modification possibilities. I think I may end up using this as a design inspiration, though, rather than trying to hack away at it too hard.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:25 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Got my kit the other day. It will probably sit on the shelf for a bit, but I'm gonna follow along in the meantime...
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member