HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,090 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA NorthStar water profing

OK, I really wanted a boat plane, and just pick up a used Balsa USA NorthStar from a guy.

He converted it to electric, useing 5000mah 6s lipo with HK motor.

I have to say this bird rocks! I have never had a duel / muiti purpuse bird before and Im additicted

I have flown it off the grass now a few times to get everthing right, and Im thinking this or next weekend of trying it on the water

So I need to know how dose one water prof these boats are do you even?

The rudder rod would be under water, what and how do you get gress in there?

Do you put tape over you top hach cover to cover all seems?

Or is it just consider a wash if she flips over?

Thanks Mike
mikes68charger is online now Find More Posts by mikes68charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:36 PM
Grumman Flyer
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Hi Mike,
The Northstar is designed so the back end of the control rods are under water but the front ends are above the waterline. As long as there is a good seal between the pushrod tube and the fuselage side it should not leak. I built mine with lots of silicone inside the hatch so it doesn't leak. If it doesn't seal well you should tape it. Good luck. I plan to fly mine Saturday weather permitting.
Jim
Jim Stepp is offline Find More Posts by Jim Stepp
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,080 Posts
You should consider treating all of your electonics with CorrosionX before you fly off water.

http://www.rejex.com/corrosionx.html

It's not a question of "IF" water will get in or on your receiver and ESC, it's only a question of "WHEN" it will get in or on them. Remember, Murphy loves water planes.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28