HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch332 View Post
Looks good so far, keep us updated.
Finally, completed the heli after work today. It took me total of 4 hours to complete. Much easier than i had anticipated. I will build me some more...it's just too much fun.

It didn't turn out as i hoped, but it's more fun and cooler looking than flying the plain boom& pod 260A.

Here' are some pics. Give it a try. FYI..i was able to use the canopy mounts and the rubber rings to mount the Huey fuselage. I had to trim the fuselage a little to make it slightly slimmer. It's not noticeable. It flies more stable than the 260A body. I will post a video when i get the chance.

Take care.
sonnetg is offline Find More Posts by sonnetg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,748 Posts
Nice. You could try the Bravo SX tail, which is a little longer.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Nice. You could try the Bravo SX tail, which is a little longer.
I actually think both the tail rods are the same size. I did do a side by side comparison, but didn't measure it. seemed the same to me, maybe a few mm difference. Not sure.

I went to the local hobby store looking for a 2.5mm CF rod, but they don't carry any. The CF rod would have made it possible to extend the tail motor. Anyways...i didn't want to complicate the assembly too much. This is a very small heli and the tail rotor is barely noticeable during flight.

Hopefully, there will be a Bell 222 and Black Hawk micro fuselage in the making soon. It would by nice to have all of these models in the collection.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Woo hoo...recieved a free Bell 222 sample from Mike (www.manrow.com). It fits almost perfectly with NE 260A. Now all i have to do is apply some CA, sand it a little and it's ready to paint. This will probably a challenge to use a paint brush to paint. Will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Cheers.
Last edited by sonnetg; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Interesting, I have received another sample of the MD500 too. I actually have the NE 320A Bravo SX, so i don't find the need to custom build the 260A for MD500 fuselage. Maybe sometimes in future if i want a custom paint job, this will come in handy.

But for many V911 users, this might be this a blessing. Grab 2 for $20 at mmanrow.com. Not sure if the deal still exists, but don't hurt to ask.

Here's a pic, as usual.
Last edited by sonnetg; Aug 16, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
Spain, CT, Viladecavalls
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
V911 converted to Hughes MD500

Hi sonnetg, thank you for invite me to your post! Your collection is amazing!
I'm a very newcomer to this hobby and have only six helis plus waiting for a V929 from BangGood...
I also like replicas more and have a DH9113 too and the MD500 displayed here... hope I will be able to make some more.

Well, here we go...

I would like to share with you all something from my part. I successfully converted a WL Toys V911 RC heli into a Hughes MD500 RC model. It is really an easy task counting with the Bravo fuselage that you can buy for around $8.50 in eBay. Other than that you just need to cut here and there to let the V911 frame fit into the Bravo fuselage.
The controller board needs to be rounded in the upper left and right corners and you must to take care of not to cut the copper lines on the circuit board. The tail boom is not modified but the stabilizer must be taken away.
I hope the pictures will help enough to perform this mod. Anyway I will be happy of giving you any further info.
I'm also attaching a video of the flying "monster"!

Cheers, Leonardo

Hughes MD500 (1 min 55 sec)
Leonardo_L is offline Find More Posts by Leonardo_L
Last edited by Leonardo_L; Aug 19, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Good work Leonardo. Just be careful with the dremel. There are micro-electronic vibrating elements in the gyro, which could be easily damaged with such fierce shock.

You have a nice collection. Looks like you have the scale fever like me. That's always a good thing. I am trying to compile all the resources in thread for scale heli lovers. Thanks for posting your creation. Beautiful photography indeed. Looking forward for more.

Hopefully, I will have the Airwolf by this weekend. I have sanded it lightly and applied primer. So far so good.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
Spain, CT, Viladecavalls
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Thanks for the link to the wiki article sonnetg. quite interesting reading there. But do not worry about me destroing the circuit (LOL) although it may happen anyway, I have 35 years of experience in electronics and also micro-electronics. I grinded the board with slow movements and runing the dremel at high speed with a well balance disk.

By the way, I'm interested in the Airwolf fuselage but can not find it in that site. Is it on sale now?
I will love to see your Airwolf finished!
All the best, Leonardo.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Not sure about you, but i have managed to destroy few micro helis with only few crashes. Maybe, the QA is to blame for these cheap helis...not sure.

As for the Airwolf, Mike is awfully busy as he builds the fuselages as hobby only, but you can send him an email and inquire the availability and pricing regarding the fuselage: mmanrow at sbcglobal dot net.

I ran out of of Gun Metal Black paint for the Airwolf build. Hopefully the local hobby store will have some in stock tomorrow...else it will be a week long wait from amazon
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Alrighty guys.....finally finished the build after work tonight. Took me almost 10 hours to build. It's much more involving than the Huey, but, hey it's the Airwolf, can you blame anyone?!

Here' you go, some pics of the final product. I am including some additional pictures for documentation. Overall, I am happy with how it turned out. Not perfect by a long shot, but not bad either. It's an enjoyment of manual labor, which an artist can appreciate a bit more. I am not an artist or anything, but i am lot better at photography than I am with a paintbrush.

Anyways...here you go. Enjoy
Last edited by sonnetg; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Converted one of my v911's to an md500 , pretty sweet tbh if a little rough , but ive learnt from it , a little twitchy for some strange reason but flies pretty well and not much of a flight time reduction, loving it.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Spain, CT, Viladecavalls
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnetg View Post
Alrighty guys.....finally finished the build after work tonight. Took me almost 10 hours to build. It's much more involving than the Huey, but, hey it's the Airwolf, can you blame anyone?!

Here' you go, some pics of the final product. I am including some additional pictures for documentation. Overall, I am happy with how it turned out. Not perfect by a long shot, but not bad either. It's an enjoyment of manual labor, which an artist can appreciate a bit more. I am not an artist or anything, but i am lot better at photography than I am with a paintbrush.

Anyways...here you go. Enjoy
Hey... that's a good work sonnetg! I love it and must to contact Mike for that fuselage.
Regarding the painting, have you ever tried painting one of those transparent canopies from the inside? I can see the primer looking quite glossy in one of your pics, Perhaps using and airbrush to paint from the inside might be an easy way to deal with this little models...

Thanks for sharing it with us and keep up the good work!
Leonardo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:59 AM
Spain, CT, Viladecavalls
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Converted one of my v911's to an md500 , pretty sweet tbh if a little rough , but ive learnt from it , a little twitchy for some strange reason but flies pretty well and not much of a flight time reduction, loving it.
Way to go scousethief! Yes, it has its own character and need to be trimmed totally different that the stock V911 but is beautiful and flies great.

By the way, if you used a Bravo fuselage, I'm adding some details regarding the halves union at the front bottom side that I forgot to mention in the first post.

Cheers, Leonardo.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:28 AM
Spain, CT, Viladecavalls
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Making the fuselage union stronger

I forgot to mention in my first post that I made a spacer to help keeping the two halves together at the from bottom side using the screws holes in the Bravo fuselage.
I was not able to find around a tube suitable to do this so I ended turning one that is 15.5 mm long with 2.8mm OD and 1mm ID.
Unfortunately have not found a solution for the upper side yet...

Three pics added to the mod post.

All the best, Leonardo