HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
today, been cleaning up the edges of the printed decks to the kick boards and readying them for the kickboard brackets..........also been making up the bow fairlead for the Mary Stanford.

unlike the two Watsons which have a white metal fitting, the M.S. is just made up from two printed pieces of 1.8mm ply with a final addition of a bow roller ( not yet fitted) inbetween the two upright flanges of the fairlead.

Also I have been filling the small gaps between the edges of the deck overlays ready for spraying the areas of none slip grey onto the decks and gunwales before also painting the kick boards and finally the decks.

for filling these small gaps I use knifing putty from any car accessory shop, which is cellulose based and covers light scratches and gaps well.

tomorrow's job will be to sand down and fair in with milliput , the white metal fairleads, the Mary Stanford fairlead and the decks,and then adding a few brackets and such for the fenders, grab ropes and rudder before possibly painting the hulls later this week.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
677 Posts
Hey Neil go for the Scout!!!....Jaaa, noooo it is going to be too much work and these two boats you are building are great to see as you build them! Well i tell you i'm thrilled w The Scout and that you have made me a RNLB/RNLI convert....i won't forget about tugs but no doubt lifeboats are special. I was talking to Jeff today and he was as equally impressed w the quality and detailing of the kit. I have to tell you as well that it was a real pleasure talking to David Metcalf, what a nice guy to do business with is all I can say.
osalvat is offline Find More Posts by osalvat
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Hi oscar, yes dave is a good lad.....he is an incredibly knowledgeable chap, and as honest as the midsummer day is long.
have known him for a great number of years, and he knows his stuff and produces some lovely kits.
he was once the joint parnter in Model Slipway and was responsible for a number of their designs.....but went his own way in the 1990's and is a great chap to deal with.
As for the Scout......I just haven't got room in my workshop at the moment to work on it.......amybe when the three I'm building and the one I have semi built are finished, i'll set down to do it, lol.
neil
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Sep 2007
677 Posts
it was a pleasure talking to him Neil...i'm sure i'll buy from him again AND i don't his kits, The Scout in particular is expensive at all, I mean, some Robbe kits after you add up all the "packages" are close to $700 or more. Jeff was telling me last nite The Scout is an excellent kit, very well made and w all the markings right on the spot.

have you seen any MT Avenger kit built into a model?...i searched this ship which according to Dave was still working in the Great Lakes but all i came up with was MT Avenger IV....similar but not the same, Dave told me he put a lot or time on MT Avenger. The drawings looks great. This maybe next after Scout and Assurance.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:33 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,836 Posts
Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by osalvat View Post
The Scout in particular is expensive at all, I mean, some Robbe kits after you add up all the "packages" are close to $700 or more.
There does seem to be great value in the expense though ...
I wish they made many different types of kits !
A TID Tug would be nice..
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osalvat View Post
it was a pleasure talking to him Neil...i'm sure i'll buy from him again AND i don't his kits, The Scout in particular is expensive at all, I mean, some Robbe kits after you add up all the "packages" are close to $700 or more. Jeff was telling me last nite The Scout is an excellent kit, very well made and w all the markings right on the spot.

have you seen any MT Avenger kit built into a model?...i searched this ship which according to Dave was still working in the Great Lakes but all i came up with was MT Avenger IV....similar but not the same, Dave told me he put a lot or time on MT Avenger. The drawings looks great. This maybe next after Scout and Assurance.
yes, Oscar............I saw dave's Avenger when he first released it....it really is a beautiful model, plenty of detail and is a lovely looking model when built.....mind you I am biased.
I made the plugs for him for the hull, superstructures and funnel to take the mould from, some many moons ago, lol
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
you would not believe how long it has taken today, just to mask up the decks of three models ready for spraying the antislip areas to the decks, and the deck surrounds..........just unbeleivable, but now it's done, some colour on the models will encourage me to get on with the topside cabins and detailing.

I sprayed the antislip to the parts of the deck needed with a textured paint which dries with a gritty type look, and although not the colour I need for a classic lifeboat, the texture isn't far from what I need, so, not being a true purist, I'll settle for it, with a colour wash later to the lighter grey that I want to match the kick boards.

And in the order, the photos are:

Masking up.

the inner parts of the front cabins of the H F Bailey and the Mary Stanford posed a little dilemma as I had no combings to stick the tape too......so I coated the inner walls with masking tape and then shoved an old rag into the well to cover the floors.....hope it works, lol

And before I sprayed the textured paint which would almost certainly bung up the small 0.5mm holes that I had drilled to take the pins for the kick boards I inserted some longer brass rod into the start and finish holes to locate the kick boards once the paint had dried.

And then using the textured paint and here is a picture of the textured paint can I use for the none slip deck coatings I did a little shaking and then got down to the serious stuff, and added my first colour.

OOOOHHH.can feel the sap rising, lol

With the end result.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
today's job, after clearing a little space for working on the 3 boats was to seal the kickboards with cellulose sanding sealer.....3 coats were given and then rubbed down with fine grade wire wool.

Finally I painted them with humbrol enamels.the mary Stanford and the field Marshall and Mrs Smuts were painted a light shade of matt brown tan. (which will be given a coat of satin varnish later)......whilst the H F Bailey boards were painted in a mid satin grey.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
also whilst I was looking at the paint drying........very theraputic and avoids boredom, I dug out some pieces that I had made some time ago for the boats to see if they were still there and not lost.........luckily I had made double sets for both the watson and the Barnett class boats, and as the watson has changed in design for the second boat somewhat, I was lucky in that I had only lost one piece which was nort needed on the second boat.......the pieces........oh yes..........the timber gratings for the bottom of the floor for the well decks.

The original 5mm square grating was made as an A4 sheet for me by a mate in his woodworking shop where he had access to a radial arm cross cut saw.we riged a jig to lock into each spur in turn to make the grating "teath" (The crossed halving joints that make up the joints) absolutely square and interlocking into the cross members. It was a fete of woodworking and took hours to cut..........we used Obeche to make it, and I was going to use it on a 1:12 scale model of the Duke of Northumberland water jet drive lifeboat of 1886 vintage.

However after producing a mould and a hull for the boat about 18 years ago I lost interest and my mate dumped the mould and moulding, so the only thing that ever got made for that lifeboat was the grating.......so it came in very usefull for the new boats, being the same scale.

I cut sections off the A4 sheet and then edged it with some mahogany "L" shaped banding that I made, also from two pieces of timber.

the smaller section gratings are for another section of the boat and were bought from an ebay supplier.

They will eventually be varnished with a gloss finish ( possibly satin.............yet to decide).

The last of my A4 sheet of grating.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,836 Posts
Details

THESE are the sort of details I have been looking forward too ....
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
there's plenty more detailing to come now Tim, as the build carries on a pace.
there is more detailing inside the cockpits than outside really.......and half of it can't be seen unless you get down close.
Most will be from white metal and resin fittings.
neil........
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Whilst all the masking tape was still on the deck, I mixed some humbrol paints this morning to a colour match with evedence I have in photos of what those areas look like on the real boats.
I then added some white spirits at a ratio of around 70 - 80% spirits to 20% paint, and "clour washed" the areas around the gunwales and the hatched areas with the very thin paint wash to give the sprayed textured areas a near colour match to the real boats.....something like a light blue/grey.
I also found evidence that the original painted colours for the kickboards for the Mary Stanford was grey, so these were also repainted this morning from the light brown twn colour.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2007
677 Posts
ahhh...coming along great!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,836 Posts
Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
there's plenty more detailing to come now Tim, as the build carries on a pace.
there is more detailing inside the cockpits than outside really.......and half of it can't be seen unless you get down close.
Most will be from white metal and resin fittings.
neil........
Hi Neil, its those fittings I am keen on, sometimes we see things like fittings that areent available at the big sites, I try to see if MFR's like this one will sell thee bits seperately...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
well, I stripped the masking tape off the decks today and found I'd dropped a b*****s with one section of one of the boats.........I'd not masked it up properly and it had left a small area not painted that should have been, so had to re mask and spray again....after a couple of hours and a quick colour wash job it had blended in with the other areas that had been painted.....so all was not lost.
Also I found that there had been very little weepage under the masking tape of the very thin paint wash and this was soon scraped off to leave clean edged.
I repainted the kick boards for the Mary Stanford to grey and then painted some fairleads in antique bronze and a full 3 sets of kick board brackets in grey.
To end off the day's work I made a mould from 3 old grab rails I had made out of room temperature vulcanising rubber, plastecine and Lego building blocks which I will eventually cast for deck fittings for the mary Stanford and H F bailey.