HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:46 PM
Sanford, Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
Question
Antenna location 2.4

Silly question, but I am just getting back to flying after a couple of years off and when I was putting the reciever in a Great Planes 2M Spirit I found it a bit perplexing on just where to put the 2 antenna leads at. I put 1 down the fuse, but the book says to have them at a 90 degrees angle to each other, which would put it outside the fuse. So that got me to wondering, where do ya'll put your antennas on your 2M ships?
SailplaneHawk is offline Find More Posts by SailplaneHawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:43 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,941 Posts
Hi Hawk,

It is recommended that the antennas be 90 degrees in angle, but I have run four antennas in parallel without a problem. The key to this is try and make sure that the tx can "see" the receiver at all angles without metal or carbon fiber blocking the view. Being you are flying an all wood plane, the airframe should be "invisible" to the 2.4 frequency. The only two things I will tell you to do is to:

1. Make sure an antenna wire does not touch another wire. Bad ju-ju.
2. Make sure you get a good, solid range check.

And if you would like to learn more about how 2.4 works, visit this website:

http://mysite.verizon.net/respri94/

There you will find a document called The 2-Point-4 Chronicles. This is packed full of things we did to find out how 2.4 works, or doesn't work. We do myth busting and experiments that try out the rumors and propaganda that originally surrounded this new frequency. We find things that are not supposed to work actually do, and things that should, might not! It's all commercial free and free of charge to download. We don't even ask for your email address. Just download and enjoy. In fact, we even allow freedom to copy the text. Reading this document should give you a very good idea about how much you can safely get away with using 2.4 technology.

Thanks!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:46 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
380 Posts
Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Hi Hawk,

It is recommended that the antennas be 90 degrees in angle, but I have run four antennas in parallel without a problem.
Thanks!
Which antenna Mike? Don't you have about 12 of them with your gear?

My stuff only had two and they have not been critical to orientation.

See you at Visalia!!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
dnbarrie11 is offline Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:48 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
ant

Which receiver are you using? If you are using an ar500 with one long and one short ant. just run the long one down the inside of the fuse. There is no reason to have the ant. go outside the fuse unless your wing or fuse is carbon fiber. If your using a rec.with 2 short ant. just move them around inside the fuse to fit.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:36 PM
Sanford, Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
Thanks all for the info, the 2 point 4 Chronicles was a very interesting read. But as I am a wood flyer it is nice to know that I wont have a problem with the antennas inside the fuse (I use Futaba, it has 2 short antennas) Of course I will still be doing a range check just to varify all is good!!!!
SailplaneHawk is offline Find More Posts by SailplaneHawk
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:56 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,941 Posts
Hi Hawk,

Glad to be of service!

And Darwin......you lost the last time we had a pop-bottle rocket war! Don't make me bring out the guns again!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249