HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2003, 09:28 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2003
10 Posts
New flyer...another Tiger Moth story

Just finished my Tiger Moth and WOW it really came out OK. Thanks for all the good advise and tips,Robert(SDparkflyers),Basketcase,Galloping Gimp, Snojetter,Goofup, Tiger Moth squadron and all you other Moth Pros. All these little tips and picts really helped. Can't wait for a nice calm day, if this plane flies as good as it looks, even MY flying might look good. Thanks to all you Tiger Moth "nuts"
Rdrino is offline Find More Posts by Rdrino
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2003, 09:34 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Most excellent looking Tiger Moth! You will be happy, they fly great. Thought about any pilots?

Welcome to E-Zone!

Good luck,
David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old May 28, 2003, 09:53 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Rdrino -

Your Tiger moth looks great! I hope you can fly her soon and will post your experience here.

I'm going through aviation withdrawal as the horrible flying weather continues here in New England.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old May 29, 2003, 08:26 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2003
10 Posts
I'm looking for a pilot...not sure of size or availability? And here in NY state the weather has been very soggy AND windy..
Old May 29, 2003, 08:35 PM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
Looking good- you're gonna love it. They are little flying son-of-a guns!
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:46 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2003
10 Posts
WOW...all you guys were right, even I can fly this plane! Went out for 3 flights (my first)...NO problems what so ever, except longer battery life would be nice. This Moth flew like a champ. Even had a couple of total stalls and just gained a little speed, lost a little altitude and powered right out of trouble. Great little plane. I'm watchin' for NO WIND moments...can't wait to fly some more. Thanks again for all the great building tips.
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Congrads and welcome to the squadron!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 03, 2003, 09:52 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Rdrino, way to go! That's the kind of maiden flight report we like to see. Excellent work.

Tigermoth's away!

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:04 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,722 Posts
Congrats and great looking moth! Now you are hooked for sure! I love my moth-even though it has been gutted for another project.

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:31 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
I finished my Tiger Moth about 10 days ago. I also used the advise from other Tiger Moth owners to do many upgrades. The plane looked great before its first flight. This is my first Rc plane. Had a great time building it and now repairing it. My poor Tiger Moth has had to train me how to fly. After the first 3 attempts of various lenghts it resulted in broken wings each time. She is looking very ragged but still flys and today she came home in one piece after an hour of flying. Have ordered another set of wings and am confident in my flying to install them and return the Tiger Moth to its original shape. What a fun Plane and a Fun Sport. looking forward to many years of enjoyment and enjoy reading experiences of other Tiger Moth pilots!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:52 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Rdrino -
Hey, hey! Welcome to the TM Squadron! Your maiden makes it official. My first flights were just over a year ago. It's a great feeling the first time you land without damage. Well done.

tahoecrest -
Congratulations on bringing your Moth home safely after an hour of flying. It sounds like she has paid her dues and deserves some nice, clean flights.

I've never broken my TM's wing, but she suffered her share of carnage when I was learning to fly (shattered gearbox, busted cowl, broken motor stick, and of course, broken props!). Always easily and quickly fixed and soon flying again.

Now if the weather here would only cooperate -- it's been more than two weeks since I have been able to fly, and I am going through withdrawal.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Jun 04, 2003, 12:07 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
The weather here has been Great but I wait until evening or early morning when no wind to fly. Even with just little wind it can make for a challenge for a New pilot like myself. I learned this the Hard way! When I become a better pilot a little wind could even be a Nice challenge.
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Jun 04, 2003, 12:42 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Even with just a little wind, you may find your Tiger Moth flying backwards when you land That was my favorite thing to do with my TM before I had to strip the radio for a crazy plane (Crazy Max to be precise, a great step up from the TM in my opinion)
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Jun 04, 2003, 08:48 AM
Joined May 2003
343 Posts
what a great plane....I am on my second one. first was lost as I was talking with a neighbor. I love to fly in winds because of the "hang"time. Well it blew out of range and it went down. I put notices in mailboxes with a 10.00 reward. Some kids returned it the same day. It had been in a tree since Memorial day and everything still works. I cant tell you how much I look forward to flying this thing. I bought a beaver, but it doesnt fly like the TM, not even close. But it is a blast to fly, sounds great, but the TM flys slower and more graceful./ I bought a SIG Jenny JN4 but still have to build it. I can tell you it blows GWS away when it comes to build quality. It has the next larger motor(280) same as used in HPI Micro car ) . Hope it flys as well too! I am thinking of putting the GWS TM power plant in it instead.
Dave -
hopups is offline Find More Posts by hopups
Old Jun 04, 2003, 08:57 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
According to the Sig website it has a 180 motor not a 280. I have one ordered and from what I have read so far looks like it doesn't turn as well as the Tigermoth in stock Form.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.