HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:01 PM
mSR noob, S107, SH6023/25
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil trett View Post
hey all.how much does a rough leading edge effect your lift?...
...it is second hand...
I dont exactly how much, but i've flown some pretty rough blades. If it isnt flying then look at the 2nd bit of info you provided, "...it is second hand...". I'd say either the battery or motor are gone most likely. (these toys are disposable-or reparable, often for a good portion of the original price, if you insist )
If you are brand new to helis, i'd suggest getting a new one (prob cost $30-50), and keep this one as a tinkerer (which will prob cost $10-20 to fix unless you are lucky, plus time and frustration)
temporary1 is offline Find More Posts by temporary1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,383 Posts
I've flown blades with sizeable chunks missing. It certainly doesn't improve performance, but it never made the difference between 'will fly' and 'won't fly'.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:39 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Posting starting results of my "Little Nellie" project in RedBaron's original thread.

Ok, wheres the other thread?

Edit, ok ive found it, ive been thinking your modding an airfix the same as i am but it appears your using a specific kit made for the helis by mario and as such i shall be avoiding the thread (cant stand mario or his products).
It has given me a push to make a new thread just for my conversion however as i think it will be lost in this one and mods i need to do or have done should not be taken on by noobs frequenting this thread.

Keep your s107's standard guys, they fly well and do what they say on the box, its unfair to expect anymore from them.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Last edited by BrownOut; Jun 28, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:59 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I do agree, for most folks, there's no 'improving' on one.

But, them being so reliable, they do make a nice base for customizing.
Like PC's that went "Bling" because nobody was chasing performance any longer, I can see a cottage industry in baby copter modding on the horizon.

The feedback I've rec'd on my own cobblings/paintings/choppings of Poocopters has been overwhelmingly good, so I think I may not be alone doing it, as evidenced by the multiple "Nellie" builds.

Nice that there's already "kit parts" to start with. It would seem that it wouldn't be to complex to make one that's actually an autogyro, with all of the bits in the market now, as far as motors/electronics for it.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:54 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I still want a blue copter but haven't the nerve to dis-assemble a perfectly working S107 and paint it.

On the other hand, the S107 with the broken flybar is sitting there daring me to experiment with it...
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
I still want a blue copter but haven't the nerve to dis-assemble a perfectly working S107 and paint it.

On the other hand, the S107 with the broken flybar is sitting there daring me to experiment with it...
Go on, know you want to!
But what to do? Of course there is painting it blue, you could take apart and paint the broken one then swap the painted parts to the flying one when it done.

Saying that your flybar is bust, I was in RED5 earlierand they are doing a respectable little collection of S107 spares.
  • 4 set of 4 blades
  • 3 flybar
  • 3 tail blade

Oh, they started selling the S032 back on Friday, they are selling it at 40, if Modelzone are out of stock and waiting is not an option then yeh, but they will most likely drop to 30 now and again just like they did with the S006.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jun 28, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Thanks for the info, DJ...I knew Red5 did spare blades but I didn't know they also did the flybar too. Perfect! I was going to make a new one with ali tube and solder round the ends but I'll just buy a proper one next time I'm passing.

I'm steering well clear of S032's for the moment until I'm sure of their reliability!
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I have two '032's, and a new one in a box still tickles me!

Took out the copter bin last evening for the entertainment of Wifey, her Mom and Niece. More specifically, to watch the dogs dance under them, generally going nuts.

We went through all nine of my "107"s, about 11 6020's, the two S032's, the Big S022 Chinook, and it's four bitty S026 siblings (offsprings?). And the ONE 9808 still operating.
Of course, the S107's are the fun ones to watch interact with the K-9's, as you can control the copter quite well, and really give Ol' Duke the business (he deserves it), flying right over him and blowing his ears around, darting away, over and over, and...
Also fun the watch my "little girl" dog take the bigger S032's on, while he pretends they aren't there. He gets mad a HER for acknowledging them, lunges at her. He 's all bark-bark about the tiny heli's, big candyass.

Great sadness in the room as I told the group that the Gigantor-Class S031's couldn't fly, due to Boogered heads (both flybars got loose).

So that's persuaded me to order not two, but three new flybar mounts for them.
I'll just have to be sure we have plenty of room for some slop next time, and keep a respectable distance from obstructions.

Recharging methodically today, everything through the USB's. We didn't run any of them till they got weak, just ran each for a few minutes and went for the next.

I've recently found an online seller with the S107 AND its entire parts list...on their close-outs page.

I got goose-bumps at this: WHAT is coming?

Four months later, still playing with the toy copters, Like I said I would...I may get a 4-ch this summer, maybe not. If bitty indoor whirlys in my tightwad price class get better, certainly.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
North Dakota
Joined Apr 2010
64 Posts
I just purchased a 4 CH MCX with charger. 4 batteries, and transmitter for $50 used, in mint condition on this site. So it is doable KB...only I get confused on the controls when I switch back and forth to the 3 CH's.
larymor is offline Find More Posts by larymor
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post

Ok, wheres the other thread?

Edit, ok ive found it, ive been thinking your modding an airfix the same as i am but it appears your using a specific kit made for the helis by mario and as such i shall be avoiding the thread (cant stand mario or his products).
It has given me a push to make a new thread just for my conversion however as i think it will be lost in this one and mods i need to do or have done should not be taken on by noobs frequenting this thread.

Keep your s107's standard guys, they fly well and do what they say on the box, its unfair to expect anymore from them.
I've just posted more pics of my "Little Nellie" project in the related thread.
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, DJ...I knew Red5 did spare blades but I didn't know they also did the flybar too. Perfect! I was going to make a new one with ali tube and solder round the ends but I'll just buy a proper one next time I'm passing.

I'm steering well clear of S032's for the moment until I'm sure of their reliability!
It's been about 6 days since I last went in there, so it can't have been that long ago they started with the flybar and the tail prop....

Going from how your RED5 guys appear sounds they may even let you "have" some used parts out of their returns bin, mine did.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
WI, USA
Joined May 2010
38 Posts
Quote:

The blue S107's are beginning to show up different places. Just received this one last week.

Name: Blue S107.jpg
Views: 217
Size: 51.2 KB
Description:
Denny1 is offline Find More Posts by Denny1
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
S107 on Floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
You me both mate, can i pursuede you to try a maccy D;s drink cup? ive not got a flying one right now so cant try it even if there was a local McDonalds and even if i frequented the places.
Im interested to see if we can get some home made ones lighter than stock.

I love your tests so far.
Cheers mate, I doubt the Maccy D's wax card would be strong enough to keep from bending upwards, But I may try just for the fun of it some day.

I can't see DIY blades being lighter than stock IMHO, The reason I mentioned the thinner clear plastic version of that bottle is they would look cool, I would spend alot MORE time on them than I did with the ones I made the other day.

Another reason I mentioned the clear is with ViperR's lil nelly being a giro with coaxial mech and if maybe the lower blades were swapped to clear then when in the air the lower set would be almost invisible and help it look more scale.

Here's my current test.

At this width it's pretty stable side-side and the length of them is enough so I'm gonna keep making each of the floats narrower so that they sink in a little are boarderline on being useless then I'll make a slightly larger and much prettier looking pair for the final version.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
S107 water landing floats, 1st Test.

Ok, I did make the floats narrower and a little boarderline, but it floats ok and has helped me learn a little about how these should work.

Sink testing and weigh AUW reading

The weigh is within the limit for take off and flight though I have no idea what the flight time will be.

S107 water landing floats, 1st attempt. (0 min 49 sec)

land take off and water landing both worked fine, but there was "suction" from the water preventing take off also the battery had about 3 mins flight taken out of it way before the test, as you can hear I have a gear problem which I'm sure did not help.

S107 2nd water take off attemp (0 min 42 sec)

I looks like I will have to make the next floats into more of a boat shape to help break contact with the water, that and have a full battery and replace the faulty cog.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:32 AM
RC Heli noob
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
19 Posts
Very cool water skids.

Pretty daring to fly your copter over water though :P

I certainly won't try it when I get mine. Though you naturally have a lot of spare copters in your hangar, whilst I am still waiting for my first one to arrive.

**EDIT**

Yeah! My S107 came in! Wrapped in girly pooh bear gift paper with hearts
So the mailman was looking at me funny, but I don't care!

It charged fully in like 20min which was faster then I expected, and the maiden voyage was incredible! Perfect respons to whatever I told it to do!

Had a bit of trouble keeping the thing level though... It either went upwards or downwards, I never could get it to level out... But I think that is more me needing practice than the S107 having problems.

Also a slight bit of toilet bowl effect... Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do about that? I read somewhere that the stabilizer bar might be unbalanced or something?

Can't wait for it to charge so I can try again!!!

I'm beginning to think it was a mistake of me to buy this thing in the middle of my re-take exams for second year business study at the university
I'm not gonna pass any of my re-takes now

Happy greets,
Blooner
Blooner is offline Find More Posts by Blooner
Last edited by Blooner; Jun 29, 2010 at 04:08 AM.