Old Dec 23, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Build Log
Ultimate´s electric RO8

Hi friends, let me open this new thread to share between all us my actual winter build project. It´s another classic woody 2 meter sailplane from the late seventies, the Richard Odle´s RO8, a superb lightweigh thermaler capable of catch rising air from the ground sometimes with a good meteo.
I built one from a Dynaflite kit long time ago and flew really well for its size, with a airfoil semisimetrical and the same as the 3 meter Blaine Rawdom´s Mirage... that provided good penetration for those speed runs; ( on that time of course ) or windy days... a true goal for slope flying too on those coastals dunes near home...
Friend TScott not too much time ago build one awesome version with a electric conversion and I like very much. Plan to order one or at least a semikit from Isthmus Models, but Mark owner told me that still kits were not ready, so my only choice was to download from Outerzone and do myself my own kit...
Cardboard templates were used to trace all ribs on the balsa sheets ....
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Dec 23, 2015 at 08:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2015, 08:51 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
I preffered to cut the ribs one by one instead of do a stack of them, this way I know that is more time spend but anyway I really enjoy on the bench time and for me there is no problem and by the way save material. Single edge Hobbico blades are used to cutting and I had at hand some spare material from spars to check the fit of the notches...
A lot of time were spend also on drilling all those holes onto the ribs... there is a saving weigh and also looks really cool when covered on those , transparents coverings...
Old Dec 23, 2015, 09:05 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
The idea is to do some mods and replicate the three wing pannels for easy of transportation done by friend Mark of I.M. with a single bolt on wing mount on the center and a wooden dowell crossing the main fuse bulkead...
For propulsion the idea is to use a E Max 2208/19 motor, with Aeronaut folding blade 11x6´5, 30 amp. speed controller and .1200 - 1.500 3S battery...
For help during wing constructions, tabs were done on the bottom side of the airfoil near the trailing edge...( Another neat idea from the Mirage kit of Isthmus Models...).
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Dec 23, 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by TLHover
DLG Bug Bit Me
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
493 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to log this for us all.
True dedication with those ribs.
TLHover is online now Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Dec 24, 2015, 06:00 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Tx a lot buddy... yeap.. it´s a little time spend on cutting but when maiden, if it is OK, time on the bench will be paid off... flight is the reward to all those building hours...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 07:32 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Once all wing ribs were done now is time to saw the ply center dihedral brace and the two polihedral braces. As we plan to do a three pieces wing for easier transportation and storage, these ply tips brace will not will be glued into the pannel joiner boxes, and will serve as a fuse that may break itself in case and avoid greater damages to the frame... just the same idea copied on the Mirage sailplane... this way we cut also the 1/32 ply joiner box sides too.
On the center pannel we will must to add another filler of 1/16 wood to the ply sides to march the widht of the spar and ply joiner, but on the tip pannels it isn´t neccesary cause the width of the spar is just 1/8...
As on this time we haven´t at home 3mm. aircraft grade Findland ply what we did is to cut the center brace and the tips joiner from 2mm. ply and other two pieces from 1mm. and were glued together with 30 min. B.S.I. slow curing epoxy..
We must to a trip to my nearest hobbyshop in Jerez de la Frontera city; over 30 km. from home to get more wood and goddies for this project..
And that´s all for now folks.. Merry Chtmas. and greetings from Southern Spain...
Manolo.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 03:26 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
This morning I went to Jerez hobbyshop and got the wood neccesary for almost this project and some ciano, carbon rods and other minus stuff...
Usually I use for the wing build a true flat table 3cm. wide plus 1cm. cork with pine longerons on the contour... the wing will be as straigh as the mounting board so...
For protect the plans and avoid sticking the adhesives on it I use wax paper...
Balsa leading edges were cut with a Master Airscrew balsa stripper to the right dimensions...
Old Dec 26, 2015, 03:29 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Notches on the leading and trailing edges were called on plans and instructions. We marked the right place with a fine sharpie and notches were done wit a file of the right width...( 1/16 inch. or 2mm.).
Old Dec 26, 2015, 03:33 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
We used chilean spruce spars for the main wing spar and center ribs on the first pannel were glued with ciano...spars were fitted to the building board with slalom tipe pins and ribs too... medium Zap A Gap ciano were extensive use on the build...
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:00 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Ribs of one of the main pannels were glued to the pine spar a House Of Balsa tool were used to keep ribs straigh while gluing... center ribs were cut to let passing the plywood main joiner. 1/8 x 1/4 sub spar were cut to lengh also...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:06 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Instead of using hard balsa for the sub spar we opted for chilean pine and get it in by the outer rib slot ckecking for trueness and glued with medium ciano.
After sub spar was glued we begin the shear webbing but from 1/8 vertical grain balsa instead the 1/16 on the center pannels . On the tip pannels we will use the 1/16 balsa but will leave the last two or three bays without the shear webs...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:10 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
After the shear webs were installed on the place shown on plans we also glued the ply center brace and one of the ply side of the tips joiner box. Once dried and after main pannel will be almost finished and before sheeting the center we will add a nice fillet of 30 min. epoxy on the main ply brace and other high stress areas. On all the rest of joints of the structure a coat of white glue thinned with water with a paint brush... on the outer rib of the main pannel we used a dihedral gauge to glue the rib with the angle called on the plans.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 07:59 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Aliphatic glue were used to glue the upper center spruce longeron and as called on the Mark´s plan from Ishtmus Models we traced the center ribs fron 5mm. wide balsa sheet and glued together to form and block cause latter when the wing will be almost done we must tap the block for the rear mounting bolt and front dowell pin...
To form the I beam of the main wing spar instead of using 1/16 wide balsa shear web on the center pannel we follow the I.M. plan and for added strengh we cut shear webs from 1/8 medium balsa, vertical grain please...ĦĦĦĦ,sorry I must to say...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 08:07 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts
Leading edge and turbulators spars were added at this time. Check and rechecked again that L.E. was well aligned with the front of the ribs.
Turbulators spars instead of using the balsa spars called by personal prefference we used 3x2 mm. tilo wood from a bundle box from Artesania Latina ( for wooden ships models ). that is stronger than balsa and weight between balsa and pine...
Once that we installed the turbulators and leading edge pannel was removed from the building board and tabs on the bottom of the ribs were cutted with a fresh new single edge blade to allow installation of the trailing edge resting flat on the building board.
Center pannels were built from the originals RO8 plan published on RCM but the rest of the entire model will be built following the plan of Mark´s Ishtmus Models with all the updates that he added to this awesome design...
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Dec 29, 2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Miller
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,854 Posts
Manolo,

One fuselage mod that might help with an electric version is to remove the notch on the bottom. Just draw a straight line from there back to just past the wing trailing edge. This will prevent the usual breakage that happens at the notch. I am thinking of including the mod as an option in the kit.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller