New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
2,612 Posts
The poorer the weather, the greater the variance of planes discussed

Last weekend, I was curious as to the gliding capability of the Archer, so flew it up and would cut power, just to see how it would hold in the air. It behaved as one would expect for the design. Didn't drop like a rock, but did a life like glide slope to it. Conversely, I did the same with my GeeBee, and you would have sworn that was a glider floating around up there. The Dynam GeeBee has a very large wing surface, and surprisingly a great float capability to it. I'm looking forward to getting a Rx into my Blanik so I can experience a real glider.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by J Mitchel
United States, OR, Portland
Joined May 2012
329 Posts
Gyro in an Archer and the Bunny Hop Landing

What success have people had with Gyros in the Archer? I love flying mine but I consider it a calm air choice because of its size.

Would a gyro help with the bunny hop landings I can't seem to avoid?

I have the power train from my spare Archer in an MS Composit P51 Mustang, running on 3s and it does well. Does the Archer have a concern with the weight of say a 3s 1300 mAh battery, assuming I could carve enough foam to let it fit?

I am wondering if she were heavier if my landings would be better?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
The poorer the weather, the greater the variance of planes discussed

Last weekend, I was curious as to the gliding capability of the Archer, so flew it up and would cut power, just to see how it would hold in the air. It behaved as one would expect for the design. Didn't drop like a rock, but did a life like glide slope to it. Conversely, I did the same with my GeeBee, and you would have sworn that was a glider floating around up there. The Dynam GeeBee has a very large wing surface, and surprisingly a great float capability to it. I'm looking forward to getting a Rx into my Blanik so I can experience a real glider.
J Mitchel is online now Find More Posts by J Mitchel
Old Feb 12, 2016, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by HGhost
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
4,014 Posts
I have had only a few , what i would call "Good" landings with my Archer

mine bounces no matter what i do......of course my field is rough and small

I believe if I could slow it down more, it would be less of a bounce.....and or have a smooth flat surface perhaps ?

I have a E-Flite SAFE Rx in mine(AS3X)...and even in what is called beginner mode-it bounces...I have had it right at stall slow and it bounces and I have come in fast and it bounces........

But after many flights, i have just assumed that is Ol'Archie's nature....just a good old bouncer
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2016, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
746 Posts
I've found that as long as I don't hit the front wheel first with a little speed she settles pretty nice. The tricky part with this plane is the front wheel sits pretty low so it's easy to hit first even though the plane is in a flare. Like hghost said the stabilization does nothing to help landing other than keep the plane steadier if dealing with cross-wind or turbulence.

I can grease most of my landings but I come in with a little less than 1/4 throttle and slow the plane with the elevator which gives me the flare I need to settle on the mains first.

Nice thing is that this plane is pretty rugged. You can practice landings all day long and the landing gear can withstand the bouncy landings.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
Joined May 2014
2,612 Posts
I fly mine with a Lemon Rx that has stability (gyro) in it, and have flown in winds as high as 25 mph, though I would not recommend it as there is only so much stability can do.

I know of a few folks who have just stuck a 3s battery in without any other changes, and it seemed to handle it. For me, I like the 2s flight characteristics and if I want something faster I have other planes for that.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM
Joined May 2014
2,612 Posts
I saw that Hobby King had a slope soarer glider kit for only $22 and thought it was interesting, but after spending about 30 seconds looking at what it takes to apply the covering, and the tools required, I bailed on that idea. You can get the whole thing built (pnp) for only $43 at the west coast warehouse, so gave up on the simple idea.

No love today for the Archer. Cold and windy with impending rain meant staying home and knocking out a huge list of todo items.