HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
OK, buddy, you keep your little secret and get back to us when you feel you're ready!
No secret! I don't want to give out bogus info before testing If all goes well, I'll let you know about all the dirty little details

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
BLBL questions for all you who have done this conversion. What motors are you using? Would one of these work?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6584
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6585

I have Ollie's mixer and would likely get at GA250 gyro and was thinking about the OrangeRx R610 receiver, and a 1000mAh 20c battery.

What else am I missing?

Thanks!
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Ummm, I am guessing...speed controllers?
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
No secret! I don't want to give out bogus info before testing If all goes well, I'll let you know about all the dirty little details

Mike.
Perhaps you massaged them?
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Ummm, I am guessing...speed controllers?
Lee
Duh! Thanks Lee! See what happens when you don't fly for a while, your brain atrophies!!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,858 Posts
The details are in the V-Tail thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...331390&page=72

Be prepared to switch over to a 3 cell battery because the 2 cell just doesn't cut it anymore. The use of a MicroHeli frame is up to you. I think it's value is way over-emphasized. Not only that, but the Lama version, for some asinine reason, is $45!!!!!!!!! Mine is a CX-2, but by the time you make a zillion changes, you don't have a CX-2 or Lama 4 anymore anyway. I fly mine with a DX6i. I converted only because I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and because of what Mike is doing. Aero-Nutz makes some mighty fine motors with BIG cooling vents in the cans, BUT, they've thrown it all away by making their motors impossible to get anymore. You're only left with going to Xtreme motors or going brushless. BTW, the proper mixer and gyro DO make a lot of difference. After the first attempt didn't work out so great, the motors, ESC's, gyro and mixer were all changed out! = $$$$$$$$$$
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:12 AM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Thanks kodak_jack! My V4 stopped flying a while ago, would only get about a foot off the ground and then slowly come down. I replaced the battery, tore it apart and made sure nothing was binding, and still nothing. I'm guessing that the motors are shot. Since I was replacing them anyway, and I have been thinking about the BLBL mod for a while I thought I would take the plunge! I have a Dx7 that I bought off a friend a couple years ago. I am just getting the parts a little at a time, not in any hurry. I have a 450 that has been keeping me distracted in the meantime!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,858 Posts
Since we've crossed threads anyway, this is my baby:
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
I think the skid pipes look awesome way out front..."it says"...don't mess with me Nice protection for the nose too. How is the forward flight Jack? The tail boom looks pretty long. Could be the pic angle. My Model 4; the blade tips are 2 3/4" to the end of the boom.

Your "Blue Baby" does look nice though. I think she deserves a spin through the open meadows and let her "really" stretch her legs The next time you fly your Champ bring 'Ole Blue along

Speaking of Champ's. Our's "might" be here sometime the end of the week

Mike.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I think the skid pipes look awesome way out front..."it says"...don't mess with me Nice protection for the nose too. How is the forward flight Jack? The tail boom looks pretty long. Could be the pic angle. My Model 4; the blade tips are 2 3/4" to the end of the boom.

Your "Blue Baby" does look nice though. I think she deserves a spin through the open meadows and let her "really" stretch her legs The next time you fly your Champ bring 'Ole Blue along

Speaking of Champ's. Our's "might" be here sometime the end of the week

Mike.
The blades are the 55 Degree jobs, so, I think they're a little shorter than the usual Xtreme blades. The tip of the blade to the tip of the tail is a measly 5" on mine!
Forward flight is nice. It tips the nose and goes!! My Lama, on the other hand, ...
According to our local weather guy, the next few days are supposed to be ideal. Get out there and get that Champ in the air. Remember, don't get it up there too high. It's light and it might be waving bye, bye if you're not careful. It takes very little throttle to fly it and the lower the throttle, the longer the battery will last.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Nice heli Jack!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Perhaps you massaged them?
The massage parlor is open
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsax View Post
Nice heli Jack!
Thank you, sir! YOu know I couldn't let the lousy out-of-the-box performance of teh Lama get me down, so, I played with the servo links and got it going forward better. Remember, this thing actually wanted to sit on its tail and go over backwards when I first got it. If I can get it flying better, I might be tempted to put my A-300 canopy back on for looks - nah, maybe not. We'll see.
I don't expect to see Mike on here a lot for a while because he has a new PLANE to mess with!! In the corporate world, it's known as diversity.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Haha, maybe Mike will be "Multi-tasking"?
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Haha, maybe Mike will be "Multi-tasking"?
Lee
You hit the nail on the head there Bro.

Did the flag retirement service today. Soldered a black wire back onto a motor, looks good. Now Eflight 10124RX will light red intermittently. I may have to ditch this "refurbished" motors thing. But wait....there's more. I'm experimenting flying my Phase II blades (from my V4) on my 120SR. HHMM...that didn't work out either. Pretty sure my main shaft is split after going out of control and whacking the deck. Having a great day. Can't wait to get at the Champ

Mike.