SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:29 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
O.K.!! I'm bouncin' around a bit today, and got a little running gear set-up figured out for this little frigate!!

I'm running a Mabuchi 130 brushed motor and a micro linear servo for rudder movement. The motor got anchored down inside the hull (Duh!!?) with a blob of silicone adhesive. The servo is just sitting in place until I decide on some kind of wire horn to move the rudder shaft! More on that later!

Where the 1/32" diameter prop shaft exits the stuffing tube, it has a piece of
1/32" x 1/16" brass tube over it to allow mating with the motor output shaft via a short length of silicone tubing which I'll refer to as her drive coupling!! For lack of a more better sensical word!! Hah!! The little white plastic "gizmo" up next to the stuffing tube is just a little bit of styrene to act as a bit of a "bearing" so the two brass pieces are not touching!! Something about "longevity"??

Ennyhoo, here she is, for now:
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:01 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
We have rudder!!!!

Steering arm and rudder shaft are one piece. A bit of styrene made the "horn" and the servo linkage is 1/32" diameter brass rod, with a few bends to keep the servo pushing straight!!

Servo is a micro linear servo that I had in my parts box, which originally came from
Hobby King. A couple of pieces of drilled styrene hold the linkage somewhat aligned to the little flag on the servo. They're CA'd to the linkage.

That's a nickel in the photo for servo size comparison. Pretty small, but they work well! A bit less than 1/4" travel, from center, in either direction. Not much travel, but for the really tight confines of this little 1/350's rear end, I get roughly
25-30 degrees to either port or starboard!! Not too shabby!! I think I can live with that! ( Like there's a choice!! Hah!!)

Back to my little Ace sloop tomorrow, as the plywood I've been waiting for is
"in-da-house"!! Not sure how soon I'll be back to the OHP, so...until next time....!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:38 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Oh my! I thought it was a least a 50 cent piece. That ship is tiny.

However, thanks to you I can clearly see what a linear servo is. Up to this time all I'd seen were fuzzy pics and not much explanation and of course no one here ever uses one. Is it as fast as a 'regular' servo?

Please explain the plastic gizmo and why you wouldn't want two brass pieces touching each other? Is it a space age motor coupling?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:27 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,634 Posts
I reckon the motor thats in the servo would be enough to drive that ship,

Then you can eliminate the ESC and heavy motor and use an identical servo with the actuator removed for propulsion.
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
I reckon the motor thats in the servo would be enough to drive that ship,

Then you can eliminate the ESC and heavy motor and use an identical servo with the actuator removed for propulsion.
Seriously. Now that we have an understanding of the size of this thing, that 130 motor is quite massive. I had a mental block thinking the kit was comparable to a modern 1/350 destroyer (which are the size of WWII cruisers nowadays) and was in fact larger than it really is. It's a FRIGATE.

Even a standard servo, hacked, could serve well. We'll see...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:39 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
Yeah, the servo's motor is pretty small!! About 4mm diameter x 12mm in length! I believe they're pager motors. Extremely small but pretty torquey, for their size. It could very well be that such a motor would be enough to scoot the little frigate around!! Hull length, from tip of the bow to stern is 15". The Mabuchi 130 has "considerably" more weight to it, although only about .8-ounces, and serves as internal ballast, as well! Not near enough room inside the hull for a hacked standard servo for propulsion, by any means. The footprint of the servo is about 5/8" x 3/4".

I'm thinking about powering her with a Nano-Tech 2S Lipo. A 1S would be sufficient, but I read where those little 130's like to see voltage in the 6vdc range, for better performance.
I have a cheap-o 20a. Chinese made ESC that I'll be using, and a little 2.4Ghz RX that came with my 3-channel pistol grip type transmitter. A Hobby King unit which I use for all of my surface runners.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:05 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,942 Posts
If there is room for a 130, there is room for hacked standard servo. It just needs hacking a bit more. The motor will separate from the board, and can be reconnected with a couple of bits of wire so that the motor/electronics package can be substantially reshaped and the case discarded, possibly with a weight saving. Doing the same with a mini servo might well be feasible, it might be a good idea to leave the motor gear in place to give a larger diameter for the coupler. Just thinking out lout there.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:35 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
Good input here, mfr02!!
Since all is in place and working well, I'll leave well enough alone for now, but will certainly
try hacking a mini servo, just for the experience. Good call! May well be a keeper!!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:24 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
A little more work on the superstructure today! Really tiny little bits to deal with, as in railings!!! Gees!! Next one is gonna be bigger!! Hah!!

Radar and other communications masts installed, but not necessarily finished yet!! Got the helo deck painted and "striped", so our helo pilots can find their way home!

More on the way!!

Thanks to all for continued support and interest!!?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Looking forward to her sea trials. Has she been floated in the 'domestic testing basin' to determine balance or... overall feasibility?

You should drill out the bridge windows, you know, for weight savings...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:51 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
280 Posts
Nope!! Toilet's too small! HaHaHa!!!

I haven't floated her yet, but probably should! First, I want to see how she sits with the electrics in it. May be enough ballast weight by themselves?

If not, a nice long row of bb's right down the hull seam, Need to keep the weight as close to the centerline as possible!! I also have some sticky-backed 1/4-oz. flat wheel weights that I can cut if need be.

Now that you mentioned it, cutting out the bridge windows would be much easier than trying to paint the tiny, little guys!! Might look pretty cool, too?? Film at eleven! Hah!!

Will post my findings as I can.

Have a good one, Harq!