HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
933 Posts
Discussion
Need some help deciding

I am interested in a 60" or smaller wingspan moldie. Looking for a fast, quick roll rate fun flying plane in a smaller package. Most likely will not DS it. I was looking at the Sunbird carbon, Mini Blade carbon, Fredy carbon, or maybe even an Ocelot carbon, but that one is getting a tad expensive. I really like the looks of the Mini Blade and the Sunbird looks fun, but I am wanting some advice from people who have owned them, or know how good or bad a plane might be.

One of the main reasons of the Sunbird, is because I got into a mid air with my Minivec last weekend and I need a new Fuse and tail halves. If I order them it is an additional $95 to ship, but if I order a plane with the fuse that I need, it is free shipping , so I thought I might take advantage of that.

Just need help on making a decision wether I should bite the bullet and pay the extra $95 shipping or buy a better 60" than the Sunbird.

Thank you!
Jeremy
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
I've had the Sunbird carbon and Ocelot carbon. I like the way the Sunbird flies a lot better, but the roll rate is definitely lower than that of the Minivec. All around, the Sunbird is a very nice airplane, and a much easier and faster build than the Minivec.
winterstick is offline Find More Posts by winterstick
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Sunbird is a great flier. Mini blade is good too. Both are better than the other two IMO.
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:46 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
933 Posts
Thanks guys for the input, it helps a lot. .

I would think that the Mini Blade would be a lot faster and stronger? But need more wind? Does this sound correct?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,929 Posts
I'd take the Sunbird over the Miniblade in a heartbeat.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,089 Posts
The Baudis Banana is a great plane and in the same price range. I've owned two over the years, excellent flight performance and, importantly, build quality.

Having owned a few Baudis planes - a glass Banana, a carbon Banana, a Wasabi, and a 2.5m Discus - and seen plenty more, I'd say the production quality is an order of magnitude better than any of the RCRCM stuff I've seen, which includes a Minivec, Vector III and Dorado.

To date, every single RCRCM plane I've seen in person has had some really shoddy and outright sketchy stuff. Some you can fix - some, you'll never know about till it's too late.

Case in point: Big Gas blew up his Sunbird in the air this past weekend DSing at the Ruins at relatively low speed - like maybe 150, although it wasn't radared and that would be a *really* high speed for the Ruins - so I'm guessing it was less. That's pretty ridiculous for a 60" plane in this day and age, to be honest. "No thank you!!"

It's really a shame because James's designs are great, otherwise.

Just MHO,

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Apr 11, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:46 PM
RosscoPK
Aberdeen Scotland
Joined Jul 2009
204 Posts
A 60" should be a cheaper model IMO, (a cheapy but goody): flying fish, a.k.a. Genesis on your side of the pond... No rudder but others add them easily enough if it's a deal breaker, comes one or two piece wing, with/without flaps as required. Very quick too
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559247

Happy stick waggling whatever you take
Rosscopk is offline Find More Posts by Rosscopk
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:53 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
James' design is solid, no doubt. His design had no focus on DS, and 150mph (or so) on the backside with all the attendant turbulence and dynamic wing loading, would certainly be out of its design range. Not surprising it folded, but one always hopes it wont (as far as un-proven and/or unintended DS ships). The Typhoon is the same, great flyer, not for DS.

The quality one finds from RCRCM is fine, given the price. My Minivec is fantastic, I would buy a Sunbird without reservation, as you mentioned not likely to be DS'ing with it.
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,667 Posts
Get the voltij
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:10 PM
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Canada, BC, Roberts Creek
Joined Nov 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Get the voltij
Thats an even better idea! I'm sure Mr. Lange would agree
C4X is offline Find More Posts by C4X
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:12 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89 View Post
One of the main reasons of the Sunbird, is because I got into a mid air with my Minivec last weekend and I need a new Fuse and tail halves. If I order them it is an additional $95 to ship, but if I order a plane with the fuse that I need, it is free shipping , so I thought I might take advantage of that.
What's the cost of a replacement fuse? You might try posting a wanted add in the classifieds here unless you're set on a brand new one.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:15 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
No mention of the Spider 60? At 289 and 369 for the glass and carbon versions it seems like a good deal. They are great fliers.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,224 Posts
my 2c - buy a cheep n cheerful Speedo to keep you in the air while you fix up the damage on the Minivec - good fun little plane & surprisingly agile & speedy - I would rather have a Speedo than waste $95 on postage

Phil.

I'd also rather have a Speedo than a 60incher anyway - theres used bigger planes out there for new 60inch money, and 60inchers typically have one piece wings, so they are no easier to carry than the bigger ships
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
933 Posts
Jimbo,

Yes a Voltij. I know. LOL. I agree 100%. But i still would like a 60". I have a friend that made a 48" Jart molded and it looks so fun to fly. No, he will not make me one. So i was looking for something smaller and close to the same. The Speedo 1.4m does come now in a moldie form from Skip Miller i think? It runs $175 but glass only. 2 piece wings even. Hmmm.

Baduis banana huh? Let me check.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
When you say shipping is 95 bucks im guessing your ordering from olerc. i was looking at sunbirds there and dont know why anyone would order from them. soaring usa has almost the same prices, great service and in the same state as you and I. Have you contacted them for replacement parts?
In all fairness the sunbird that blew up a wing (1) had been stuffed due to the previous owners radio having problems, nose had to be rebuilt and boom broken too. The weekend before he came up, while flying little mountain he had to do a field fix with gorilla ca when the trailing edge started to open up, he would of repared it the same way home. it was on the wing that popped. He is looking for another wing, as I recall he said its one of the best 60" he's owned. He has owned or flown most of them.
Speedo's do fly great but there are better out there, maybe not for the price. i will prob always have one ready to fly.
Genesis are great fliers too! Easy to build as they have more room in fuze and wing compared to some of the other popular 60".
James
Ps the stinger 45 for $300 rtf in classified is also an amazing plane
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren