SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:32 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,296 Posts
Boring the crank on a TD does add some RPM. But you have to be running bladder and high nitro to make it worth the effort. The cranks are hardened and very tough to bore. Actually they are ground, not cut or drilled. I have not seen a norvel that seemed worth anything more than a TD. However, I haven't seen too many of them, only a couple. The people I've seen with norvels had a very tough time getting them running and getting the needle dialed in.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,417 Posts
I think most of the 1/2A's are hard to get going. Even the .10's. So were the TD's unless you had the aftermarket needle valves. I haven't really tached the Norvel and TD lately to compare. I know the Big Mig is different than the other AME or whatever. I had one wouldn't run at all with a 6-3, and was about to throw it out, when I put on a 5-3, it went really quite good. Not really great for the glider I had planned for it. The Big Mig seemed to be ok with the bigger props, At least the couple I had. I got a few more recently to play with. Unfortunately no little Fora yet. I held a couple of records with a TD in the mid 1970's but as was said, "Let me tell you lad, that was all we had."
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Last edited by aspeed; Mar 22, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,974 Posts
As I remember my many Tee Dees, they started and ran out a full external tank with good power if everything was clean and right, cylinder was free of varnish after break in, glow head was good, and ball joint in piston was snug. Those reed valve Coxes were OK when reed was good and needle valve didn't leak too much, wanted to run backwards a lot. Spring starters were great. Never had much luck with Tee Dees with any brand of RC carb including Cox,Tarnos and exhaust ring types. Some reduced idle rpm somewhat but not enough for sitting still idling before take off runs.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,365 Posts
I scratched up a sport plane floater mid wing using a throttle ring and a standard prop 25% nitro. I was able to idle the engine down to where the ring juuust cuts off the exhaust ports and she sounded like a sewing machine ticking by. Had a 4ch set up tail dragger on 24g futaba micro servos of the day with 350mah AAA nicad cells. Would taxi fine and sit still at idle.
Span was around 26in.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
25% nitro! NICE
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE