SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Discussion
Best way to test?

So I've gotten my first quad going, but I turned it on, gave it some throttle, and it flipped and broke a prop... I assumed something like this would happen, but there has to be a better way to test all the settings than to just give it a go and break props. What do you all suggest doing to keep from breaking props when trying to get the settings set?

I was thinking about tying down each arm to a weight or something, giving each arm some slack so it will have some play to gain a little altitude but if there's too much power going to one motor, it won't flip, it'll get caught by the weight and just stop... has anyone tried that before and does it actually work or does the flight get all messed up by being held back like that?

I don't have any extra props right now (I ordered them from HK a couple weeks ago), so since I broke one I can't fly it and I figured I'd ask around for the best option for when I can try flying it again, haha.

Thanks everyone!
brm252 is offline Find More Posts by brm252
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,658 Posts
Take the props off! I learned this the hard way. If you need them on for some reason, you have to tie it down. I built a turntable for my helis.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Well the problem with that, its hard to determine if they have the right setup, the right power going to each motor... The problem I'm having now is that the right motors get more power when I go left, but when I go right they lose power... Which means that when I go right, the left motors don't do anything, if that makes sense
brm252 is offline Find More Posts by brm252
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brm252 View Post
Well the problem with that, its hard to determine if they have the right setup, the right power going to each motor... The problem I'm having now is that the right motors get more power when I go left, but when I go right they lose power... Which means that when I go right, the left motors don't do anything, if that makes sense
That IS weird... but if the helicopter is stuck to the ground, it makes sense. If the gyro doesn't feel the expected motion, it won't have the expected reaction. So, when you input some right stick, the left motors should speed up and the right motors should slow down... but that won't happen unless the helicopter actually starts to tilt the way it's supposed to. If it doesn't tilt, it's going to run the left motors all the way up and turn the right motors all the way off, trying desperately (and failing) to make the helicopter tilt.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501