HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:56 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
527 Posts
Discussion
Converting heli to acro

As the title suggests, I'm looking to convert a heli tx to acro. Its a 10x to be specific. Is it doable? I know the labels will be all off. Will the switch positions be different as well? I've never compared a heli to acro radio directly before.

TIA
Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
As the title suggests, I'm looking to convert a heli tx to acro. Its a 10x to be specific. Is it doable? I know the labels will be all off. Will the switch positions be different as well? I've never compared a heli to acro radio directly before.

TIA
Vincent
I donít know about other brands but with Futaba you just select Acro, Sailplane, or Helicopter on the main menu. I only buy helicopter radios because they have a smooth throttle that I like much better for airplanes.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:00 AM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
677 Posts
The JR 10x transmitters are type specific. The aircraft transmitter doesn't have programming for helicopters. The helicopter transmitter doesn't have programming for aircraft.

Even Horizon Hobbies can't change a 10x heli, to a 10x aircraft. (I know someone that wanted to make the same conversion, and he asked Horizon)
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:09 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes View Post
The JR 10x transmitters are type specific. The aircraft transmitter doesn't have programming for helicopters. The helicopter transmitter doesn't have programming for aircraft.

Even Horizon Hobbies can't change a 10x heli, to a 10x aircraft. (I know someone that wanted to make the same conversion, and he asked Horizon)
Should have got a Futaba Ė LOL.

Looks like JR would never be any good for someone like me that flies helicopters, airplanes, and sailplanes Ė what were they thinking??????????????

Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:47 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Looks like JR would never be any good for someone like me that flies helicopters, airplanes, and sailplanes – what were they thinking??????????????
This is about the 10X only, not JRs in general, which provide both sorts of programming. But I agree, what were they thinking in this case?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:04 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
This is about the 10X only, not JRs in general, which provide both sorts of programming. But I agree, what were they thinking in this case?
Can the firmware be upgraded by SD card or PC connection? If so just upgrade using airplane firmware.

I really donít know why manufacturers make different transmitters anyway. Now days with all the 3D airplanes a smooth throttle is best for everyone. Apparently itís all about proffit and trying to sell more radios.

Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
527 Posts
Quote:
Can the firmware be upgraded by SD card or PC connection? If so just upgrade using airplane firmware.

I really donít know why manufacturers make different transmitters anyway. Now days with all the 3D airplanes a smooth throttle is best for everyone. Apparently itís all about proffit and trying to sell more radios.

I don't think so.

The ratchet can be removed very easily. Its just a leaf spring with a notch. 2 screws and it comes off, or you can reduce the pressure till you can barely feel the ratcheting.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I don't think so.

The ratchet can be removed very easily. Its just a leaf spring with a notch. 2 screws and it comes off, or you can reduce the pressure till you can barely feel the ratcheting.
They should just include the parts for both throttle types with all new transmitters. It would only cost a dollar or less for the extra parts.

Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2005
677 Posts
Quote:

As I said above, the 10x is a dedicated transmitter. Buy the correct one for what you want to fly. Note: this only applies to the 10x transmitters, the follow up 12x has programming for aircraft, sailplanes, and heli's.

The reason for different versions of the same transmitter is the switches. Most transmitters have both 2, and 3 position switches. Heli flyers prefer the 3 position switches in different locations than most aircraft flyers. Some sailplane flyers actually prefer heli transmitters, because they prefer the switches in the same layout as the the heli flyers. Most computer transmitters include the programming for aircraft, and heli's. The difference in the transmitters, isn't the programming, it's the switch locations, (and throttle ratchet).

Also, in the past, (and possibly still), heli radio systems often included a different receiver, flight battery pack, and charger, than the aircraft systems. Sometimes the supplied servos were also different between the aircraft, and heli systems.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Oddly enough I am in the process of converting a 10X Heli to Aero. Picked up the parts required and will be starting tomorrow.

You will need..... a 10X Aero board, 2 snap roll direction switch pcbs (left & right), 2 miniature switches, A Aero Mode 2 top plate, snap roll activation switch and Mode 2 Aero label set. Function switches as required and instrumentation wire.

I have converted 2 or 3 previously and will take about 3 to 4 hours in total.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2005
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56 View Post
Oddly enough I am in the process of converting a 10X Heli to Aero. Picked up the parts required and will be starting tomorrow.

You will need..... a 10X Aero board, 2 snap roll direction switch pcbs (left & right), 2 miniature switches, A Aero Mode 2 top plate, snap roll activation switch and Mode 2 Aero label set. Function switches as required and instrumentation wire.

That's great, unfortunately those parts aren't available on this side of the pond. Just out of curiosity, how much do all the necessary parts cost in the UK?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:53 AM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Sorry, I haven't a clue....
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56 View Post

Isn't that pretty much everything aside from the case with LCD, some external switches and the gimbals? Probably be easier to buy a used 10X. Btw, where did you find the parts?
Old May 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, MA, East Brookfield
Joined Jul 2008
13 Posts
i have the 10x acro if you want to switch parts for the conversion i want to make it a heli radio.
darryl123 is offline Find More Posts by darryl123