Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:46 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,839 Posts
Discussion
New age: Electric Combat

Begining of a bold new era ?
Utube video of Rudners' F2D Electric Combat tests.
Electric F2D Testing, Day 1: NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200 KV (4 min 8 sec)

Not too shabby for day 1 efforts
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:56 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
826 Posts
I didn't want to be impressed, you know!

And yet, I was, in spite of sixty years' worth of glow predjudice.
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
There's nothing like the sound of a pre-set race engine as it stumbles to life and then hits that groove. Also, on launch a race engine will hit a burst of power and RPM enough to stun the unprepared and impress the already initiated. I like glow because it's bad-assed, fast, light and tramsmits the idea of raw power like a TF dragster.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Canada? Your flying field looks exactly like Whitter Narrows!
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
Mark, Just keep putting pitch in the prop and the faster it will go. Get one of these keen little devices

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Checker.html

Make sure you dont run your battery past 80% is the general rule I've come across, although I've run down to 16% without battery issues as of yet.

Here's the timer you need too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Cont...item589b523cd0

Really easy to operate.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
185 Posts
Couldn't tell what your battery is, but in carrier we have found the new 65 c cells really help keep the battery cooler when it doesn't have much airflow
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyelectcl View Post
Couldn't tell what your battery is, but in carrier we have found the new 65 c cells really help keep the battery cooler when it doesn't have much airflow
I think Mark is running 1500 battery. Or was at least last time I saw this airplane. What are you using in Carrier?
I used a 2800 in my speed limit airplane for a 4 min run. I dont think I can go 100 for 4 min without an interstate battery. A bit heavy. But I do think I can run 100 on a 2200 for 2 min
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2008
185 Posts
I run 3-4000 mah batteries, but it not only the capacity that is an issue but the "c" rating. The battery must be able to put out the amps needed. To calculate the max a battery can supply multiply the mah x c .

A 1500mah battery with a 20c rating can deliver 30 amp, 1500mah=1.5Ax20c=30
A 60c battery would be 1.5x60=90 amps.

The mah rating determines the run time. You should plan on only using about 80% of the max. Lipos do not like being run down to low in voltage

In carrier we only run full out for 20 secs or so, so we need a big initial burst, but low speed is at about 1/2 throttle.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
185 Posts
Here is a chart which illustrates what I am saying about batteries. You can see the sag at max amps, the battery was not large enough and could not sustain the peak amps. The low speed portion is OK. The temperature is interesting it continues to climb throughout the flight.By the was it is degrees F not C. The TempC label is for sensor c. ll data taken with eagle Tree data logger.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:28 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
I think what we need in combat planes is several capacitors!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
185 Posts
Really big capacitors, but then they would weigh as much as batteries.
I build bigger planes for electric to compensate for the weight. For example a typical 15 profile carrier, glow is 180 sq in. an electric 230-250, and built lighter.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:24 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyelectcl View Post
Really big capacitors, but then they would weigh as much as batteries.
I build bigger planes for electric to compensate for the weight. For example a typical 15 profile carrier, glow is 180 sq in. an electric 230-250, and built lighter.
No doubt that I could build a better airplane for electric, but I still have a supply of old slow combat planes just hanging here. Actually they are a great size for electric wing loading, just too big to fly serious combat with. They're close to 500 sq. in. But they fly really well. I'm astonished how well my elect. Flite Streak flies. I'm using 2200 mha batteries for 3 min flights. Im trying for new blood in control line here locally. "Plug-n-play" seems to be the only interest anymore, so thats what Im trying to do.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:40 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
I think what we need in combat planes is several capacitors!
We need flux capacitors
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:22 AM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
Looks very cool. I used to fly combat years ago. recently have gotten into RC electric, I would like to put together a CL electric to play around with. But my question is what do you use as a speed control for a brushless motor? Is there something out there I don't know about?
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:53 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
Looks very cool. I used to fly combat years ago. recently have gotten into RC electric, I would like to put together a CL electric to play around with. But my question is what do you use as a speed control for a brushless motor? Is there something out there I don't know about?

You use a regular speed control and either an R/C receiver and transmitter to turn the motor on and off or one of the special timers that is available to run the motor for a set period of time.

There are a few different ones out there.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-timer-EFLA172

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/elect...ewelectric.htm
(scroll down the page to get to the timers)

http://brodak.com/timer-fm-2sr.html

The Hubin one is probably the most popular.

Most that fly stunt use an ESC with governor mode to control the RPM for the whole flight. Castle and Schultz make ESCs with specific control line programming.
Some of the timers on the RSM site can work with cheaper ESCs and still maintain constant RPM.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie