Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:17 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
Discussion
3D Printer Face Off

So, I sent an email to every company that make a sub $500 3D printer, and asked them this:Why should I buy your product instead of one of the others? I think that I should get an interesting response from each. For now, here are the emails:

Quote:
Hello Solidoodle,
I am considering buying one of three different 3D printers, Yours, the Printerbot LC, and the Makibox. What sets your apart from the others, and or wh should I buy it instead of one of the others?
Thank you.
Quote:
Hello Printrbot,
I am considering buying one of three different 3D printers, Yours, the Makibox, and the Solidodle basic. What sets your apart from the others, and or why should I buy it instead of one of the others?
Thank you,
Robert
And another one like that for Makibox.
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
I got a response back from Solidoodle- here it is:
Quote:
HI,

With prices ranging from $499 to $799, and up to 512 cubic inches in building space on the new Solidoodle 3 model, we provide some of the best value in the consumer 3D printer market. I can't speak much on the other companies you mentioned, but I can tell you that with Solidoodle machines are pretty solid--you can even stand on top of them (though we don't recommend it, of course). They were designed by an aerospace engineer and it shows. You can read our product specs at store.solidoodle.com.

I hope this helps. Good luck on making your decision.

Best,

Yahea
The quickness of response is a plus!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,408 Posts
We did this study a while back. It comes down to support and software. Makerbot has been excellent in both regards, but its a bit pricey for a home printer.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
We did this study a while back. It comes down to support and software. Makerbot has been excellent in both regards, but its a bit pricey for a home printer.
May we ask who "we" are and where this study is located so that others might be enlightened?
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
May we ask who "we" are and where this study is located so that others might be enlightened?
+1... Would love to hear the results.
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:54 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,408 Posts
Proprietary information. Didn't buy the machines to test so all the data we used is available on the Internet. I will say that short of a $10k+ machine expect to spend a lot of time tweaking, testing, re-tweaking and testing. I still can't print 2 things identically every time.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,836 Posts
Its the year 2013, I have no jetpack no flying car no robot maid and if I want to have a good 3d printer I am looking at over 2k bucks.... wth man. I thought the future was supposed to be cool.

In all seriousness, I would love to have a 3d printer to design my own multicopter and whatnot. Maybe one day!
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
I haven't heard anything back from any of the other sellers, but I'll give it a few more days.

I don't mind tweaking at all, as it's a learning experience, and I don't have 10K, so I'm trying to find the best of the low budget 3D printers. Solidoodle is looking pretty good right now......
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
Quote:
Its the year 2013, I have no jetpack no flying car no robot maid
You could if you wanted one...
http://www.terrafugia.com/
http://www.jetlev-flyer.com/
http://store.irobot.com/family/index...s=A-ProductAge
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Well my MakiBox will be here in my hot little hands within a few month's, hopefully sooner. I have designed many things to print for the big Cobra heli (details) and I am currently designing a WWI pilot bust to print out. So as soon as it gets here you all will get to hear my trials and tribulations with this sub $500 3d printer.
And realistically I have seen some of Jon's (MakiBox) prints so far and I am quite pleased with the results. And no I am not expecting Stratsys resolution because it has only cost me$350 and 11 month's waiting.
And I would love to have a jetpack and a robot maid also.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:26 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,836 Posts
Touchè........

Well, I will be following this thread with great interest. Income tax time is almost here, a 3d printer might be in my future!
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
Model Maniac
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Jun 2004
150 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a 3D printer to. I'll be following this one.
Ibinde is offline Find More Posts by Ibinde
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
I haven't heard anything back fom any of the other companies. Looks like I'll be getting a solidoodle printer.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:59 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Good for you SB, let us know how it prints.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
My Printrbot project

I got in on the Printrbot kick starter project and finally got my plastic printrbot for assembly. It did work but I couldn't live with the standard bot. The design of the X axis doesn't allow complete usage of the heated bed. ABS plastic was provided with the unit and did print with kapton tape. I ordered some PLA and wasn't able to find a way to get it to stick. The prints were marginally acceptable. I started collecting parts for a Mendle in hopes of better prints. I ended up ordering a laser cut set of parts and converted my plastic "rep rap" printrbot into a LC woodie. With my experience so far I wouldn't get a printrbot again.
mlmcquiggjr is offline Find More Posts by mlmcquiggjr