HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrabus View Post
And what would they be?? and why not release the details in a bundle rather than in dribs and drabs
The only thing I can confirm is the Mini Vapor... there is talk of something else though... hard to say what is real and what is not. IMO, the Mini Vapor seems a little expensive, but it's in the under-$100 holiday presents range.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Very good point Kevin, but for most hobbyist, the only way into the more fancy transmitter is to buy one with almost nothing with it (barebone), or as many have done with the DX8 so far, buy it with one or more receivers (the package deal with AR8000, and two more receivers), and sell ALL the receivers since they reach a decent price on the market, and they just wanted the Tx. This would bring the transmitter price to a much lower level that some of us can only afford. (and those some of us are not me... I can only dream to buy a DX18 or even a DX8)
RG,

I don't think this radio is intended to be for every customer. Seems to me, the goal is to add high end products to the Spektrum family. This way, they have products designed and developed for the entire range of budgets in the hobby. Now the JR doing it's own thing, Horizon and Spektrum need to bring top tier products to the line up. Much like base model to fully optioned cars, airplanes or boats. Spektrum is now a force, a BIG force in the RC radio scene. Not just the low end to be offered next to another brand like before. Good for Horizon.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
ohh well was hoping for a new mqx, as its been copied to death and some are better than it.
Most are, actually.
Even the little Ladybird and its various incarnations have "self-recovery" which I miss in the MQX.

Anyway, according to the guys of two LHSs, the mini multicopter hype is already over again, sales are bad, especially for the MQX.
If anything, the minis bumped the interest for "real" multicopters, as in bigger, brushless, actually useful, modular and programmable.
But I disgress.

I'm gonna paint my DX8 flat black, that's unique enough for me for the time being.

I still love Horizon and Quique and all of you guys, of course, though I was hoping for something I would actually (want to) buy.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
I will sign your flat black DX8.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES View Post
Ok yes, but they started it......
jk

My point is that for a brand that has been a staple of the "working man" to jump to a "premium product" that many cannot afford, in a time when we are all expecting a holiday release, was kind of dirty.
People willing to pay too much for the privilege of testing new products are the reason we buy reasonably priced gear. I want more rich people, not fewer. I wish there were 2000 ready, willing and able to buy that radio. But 4,000 rich people willing would be better. Early adopters are who make what we do doable.

But from my standpoint, lets see some reasonably priced new stuff.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Nov 15, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
But sadly its a rebadged product with new software a signature and some goodies.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,052 Posts
Tell us More Jasmine

what products?

details man, details lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There are some lower priced new products coming....
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
128 Posts
Here I was hoping Hangar 9 was releasing some ultra cool massive ARF no one else has out... nice spitfire or something.. I'll class this under the FAIL category....
ChrisCYWG is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCYWG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
918 Posts
DX18QQ Radio.....

Well...I didn't see that one coming....!

DX18QQ Quique Somenzini Special Edition Radio.....

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,052 Posts
maybe they'll release QuiQue's personal EDF jet to the public

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=2
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2009
15 Posts
They need to fix the DX18. The gimbals on the QQ edition are a start, but they stopped short by not improving the screen. I would much rather pay $800 for a 12 channel radio that has smooth sticks and a nice screen than a DX18. I agree, this QQ version does nothing for the masses and didn't need this hype. Hopefully, they'll release the QQ software and incorporate the improved gimbals into future DX18s.
chumleyf16 is offline Find More Posts by chumleyf16
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,931 Posts
By "improving" on the gimbals on the QQ are they not in turn saying the normal DX18 could better?

This all has a weird marketing vibe to it. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish in the end beyond maybe trying to make Spektrum get a foothold in the niche high end area so people see the radio at the field and then buy into a normal DX18 perhaps.

I also have some concerns where the different software on the same hardware platform are headed. Are we going into the realm of pay per use feature upgrades perhaps? This may just be a test of the waters to see how the market reacts to the possibility. Perhaps that is the end goal of being unique - you buy a base hardware platform with basic features then we pay per use the features we want to unlock. Who knows, but I do know that your don't create a month long marketing campaign with banner ads plastered all over with email signups and surveys to sell 2000 items. More to this than just a new limited edition radio. Pay per use radio features is my guess.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
maybe they'll release QuiQue's personal EDF jet to the public

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=2
is that foam????
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
They have lost their way. They don't know their customers intimately enough. The pre-announcement marketing campaign does not fit with the announced product IMHO.

I was also expecting something "unique" that would appeal to a mass audience / consumer.

I will try not to get mixed up in any hype in the future from HH. I like what they are trying to do, but the products being launched are just not living up to the hype.

On the other hand, they announce a beautiful 2.9m sailplane (Mystique) by way of it just simply appearing on the E-Flite web page. They could have targeted the Radian and Radian Pro owners to get them excited about the next step in the sailplane discipline of our great hobby.

Anyway.....what would I know. I am just the customer.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
is that foam????
No it isn't. It is a CompArf and turbine powered with vectored thrust. It is not EDF and not foam.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball