HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Help!
I need a small park size plane not sure what I need?

Ok, I'm pretty new to the aeroplane scene and have been flying my Bixler in some of the local parks...well its too big and every once in awhile some guy comes over and complains even though I fly when nobody is around.... I'm in the UK and space is tight unlike my hometown in Texas. Other problem is the bix can hardly fit in our fiat 500 lol. Anyway, I am looking for a small plane that can ideally travel with me that I can continue learning on as well as less intrusive at the park or football pitch. These are some of the ones I have been looking at: UMX Beast 3D AS3X or UM Striker F-27-Q 180 I really like flying wings and so I'm leaning that way but what about this AS3X? Is that any good? I also will have mostly grass to land on so not sure how the beast would do on that? Am I missing some better Micros that are out there? Anyway any pointers would be appreciated!!

Danny
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:07 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,277 Posts
Beast is very aerobatic and can be flown in a small space. A football pitch would be very easy. You could probably fly it the short way of the field.

I have the older Beast without AS3X stabilization but watching them fly, they flying even better with the active stabilization.

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:16 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,070 Posts
If you are into wings, ultra micro stryker might be a good idea...I dont know though because I lost interest in wings about a month ago..........

Anyways AS3X helps mostly in wind, it is NOT a system where it brings the plane upright, it simply makes it go wherever you point it.

Horizon Hobby has a new ultra micro 3D Sbach 342 AS3X, if you are interested, just saying.

The Beast, I think, should do fine with landing in the grass, just a harrier-ish approach then FLOP.

The Hyper Taxi isnt bad, just tricky to land, BELIEVE ME......I learned from EXPERIENCE........

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 1999
2,277 Posts
I should have mentioned that, yes slow the Beast down and flop. It always flips on its back and it never does any damage.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Thanks for the input so far guys!! What would the skill level be as far as a beast or like planes? I still consider myself to be a beginner but I am still at the circuit,loops,stalls....stage will these fly slow enough for me to get comfortable on? I got a radjet 800 from hobbyking for 30 thinking it would be a smaller flyer and its not. Just really fast and no slow speed I can hardly keep up with it!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 1999
2,277 Posts
The Beast is very quick even though it's not that high an airspeed. I wonder if a UM T-28 would be a better interim step?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
The UM T28 is fantastic. Really docile and perfect for small parks. I second that suggestion.
Can be aerobatic if you want, but can fly slow like a trainer. Not bad in the wind either!
boro92 is offline Find More Posts by boro92
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:51 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
728 Posts
I third that! The um t-28 is what I learnt on aswell as Phoenix rc.
I didn't bother with the 3 channels to start with, just straight into 4 channel.

I've been flying for 2 and a bit years now and can say the um t-28 is still one of my faves, it's always in its box in the car ready for a sortie.

She can handle decent aerobatics if you wish but is forgiving enough to learn on and is an excellent doorway into the other horizon hobby ultra micros, which I have most of and can fly them all.

The um t-28, totally awesome little plane with a pretty big following. You can't go wrong!

Regards Nath.
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
953 Posts
I call fourth on the t-28! great plane. It is not going to hover or do a rolling harrier, but It is a nice slow flyer that is great for someone who is still learning basic aerobatics. Then, comes something like the stryker or the beast or anything you want, The t28 will help you prepare for it.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:51 PM
Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
The T-28 . its semi durable and can fly some pretty small spaces.
HomeMadeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by HomeMadeFlyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:01 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
848 Posts
I have heard lots of GREAT things about the UM T-28, though, having never flown one, don't have an opinion. What I have flown is a UM P-51, and LOVE that. I have heard that the T-28 is a better trainer that the P-51.(though don't have an opinion)(for once)

My dad flew a Phoenix sim a little, and a Champ a little, and than flew a P-51,(We found that it is very durable)(guess how we found that out), and had a blast!

Just my $.02,

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
125 Posts
Seems everyone likes the um's if you go that rout and want to continue learning to fly the the carbon cub! High wings are always better to learn on. It's your choice just be proud with the choice you make. Try the anylink series of planes I got the f-86 and it's a blast to fly.
Jyester is offline Find More Posts by Jyester
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
The new Parkzone UM Spitfire is great. AS3X equipped and small and stable enough to fly inside my dorm quad.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
You need a cox micro warbird.. and I need more of them. Alas, nothing but overpriced kits to be found. Hence I am scratch-building all my micros. Wow, alas and hence.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well I went with the stryker.... I think I must be a better pilot than I thought I was! Had about 20 flights so far and its awesome even like playing around with the flat spins! Just got a GeeBee too I just cant believe how much fun these little things are! I have been looking high and low for a 3D beast in the UK but I guess they are not out yet?

Danny