Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Woodstock 1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Yippee!
Last great slope session of the summer?

Saturday 25 August turned out to be so much better than anticipated! Good strong north-westerlies were forecast, but the sun unexpectedly also came out, and it was warm for late August too! Luckily my camcorder and helmet were in the car, so I took the opportunity of shooting some footage to improve on my "Alpina Magic in Ireland" video, using my Inteco L-213A instead of the Alpina. A few additional shots were filmed as "fillers" to give a more coherent story.

I'm still struggling to get rid of the "jittering" effects seen during fast movement. I think a better camera is in order. I still haven't totally cracked the whole rendering thing though. I tried following some advice from Vimeo tutorials, but their versions of Sony Vegas is not exactly the same as mine, so I can't duplicate their settings exactly. The outcome of trying all sorts of different settings and then uploading them to Vimeo to compare was pretty startling in the end: of all the rendered videos that I made of this film, the one with the by far the lowest settings, and a much smaller file size has turned out to display the best ! The raw file for this 3 minute video is only 100 MB. All the other versions I tried were around 560 MB ! Voodoo at work here, I tell you. It seems the most important thing is to match the setting to synch with Vimeo. This video was rendered using "Main Concept" AVC/AAC (.mp4) "Apple TV 720p24 Video" template, with the properties of the video pre-set to 1920 x 1080 x32, 30.000p.

Slope Soaring in Ireland (3 min 2 sec)

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Jul 07, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: As per usial i karnt spel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
Beginner RC Pilot
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Beautiful backdrop

amazing flying! Enjoyed watching it very much. Thanks for sharing.
achurin is offline Find More Posts by achurin
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
178 Posts
(Drooling)
AWESOME!!!!!!

Now, I'm cleaning my keyboard....
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Lol, thanks !
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:39 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Just read this Chris, could your jittering simply be that your internet connection is too slow for the bigger files to run cleanly?
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
Just read this Chris, could your jittering simply be that your internet connection is too slow for the bigger files to run cleanly?
Hi Mike, I dunno TBH, I don't have a very fast Broadband connection, it's true. My understanding of things digital is, however, that either the noughts and ones are getting across / downloaded, or they are not. A slow connection just means that it takes longer to get them "across", it wouldn't affect the quality as such? I think the point where the quality can be affected most before it gets turned into digital information, is the camera itself. The pixels and the quality of the CMOS and all that stuff have an impact on image quality. This is just a little 199 consumer cam, not a decent machine which would cost in the thousands. There's definitely going to be short-cuts to make a camera that cheap...

Chris
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Jun 15, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:35 AM
David the Swarfer
South Africa, EC, Grahamstown
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
I'm still struggling to get rid of the "jittering" effects seen during fast movement. I think a better camera is in order. I still haven't totally cracked the whole rendering thing though. I tried following some advice from Vimeo tutorials, but
https://vimeo.com/48429267

Chris
great flying and lovely video presentation mate. as to the jittering, if you camera has any kind of 'image stabilization' you need to turn it OFF when you are following high speed objects. this is a software feature (usually) that tries to minimize the effects of camera shake by artificially making the scene 'stand still'. when the camera is held roughly still pointing at a scene, this works quite well, but when the camera is moving to follow the glider, it gets confused between what it is trying to stabilize and what it should allow as movement, and you get jitter.

of course, some encoding settings can affect it as well, but as you said later, if you can take good footage in the first place, the rest is much easier.
swarfer is offline Find More Posts by swarfer
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Thanks David, I never thought of that (one needs a Saffer to get good info, eh?)!

Chris