Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
718 Posts
Question
Seagul 3 meter KA8-B

Hi guys,
I am about to buy a 3 meter Seagull KA8. I am wanting to know if the c/g is right on and what servos you guys you are useing in it? I plan to get it in two weeks.

Thanks for any help.
Joe
hondaboy92hatch is online now Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Last edited by hondaboy92hatch; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
786 Posts
As far as I have seen, the Seagull Ka8 is 3m and the Phoenix Ka8 is 3.5m or 6.0m. Which one have you got your sights set on?

Dave Smith
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
Hi Joe with regard to servos for the two smaller ka8 HS 81mgs have been quite adequate so far, as to the 6 meter HS 645mg on aileron/elevator with hs705bb on rudder and tow release. These are the servos myself and a mate have been running on our ka8's. Regarding CofG all planes started out at 33% and adjusted to suit flying styles till they felt rite.

Enjoy your new model they fly superbly.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
hondaboy92hatch
Joined Feb 2005
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
As far as I have seen, the Seagull Ka8 is 3m and the Phoenix Ka8 is 3.5m or 6.0m. Which one have you got your sights set on?

Dave Smith
Hi Dave,
I am looking at the 118 inch ws one. I wrked late last night and did the calculation wrong. I am just wondering if the c/g is roght on as I want to get it put it together and hope to fly at the aerotow event at brooks field in Salem OR
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:11 PM
hondaboy92hatch
Joined Feb 2005
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Hi Joe with regard to servos for the two smaller ka8 HS 81mgs have been quite adequate so far, as to the 6 meter HS 645mg on aileron/elevator with hs705bb on rudder and tow release. These are the servos myself and a mate have been running on our ka8's. Regarding CofG all planes started out at 33% and adjusted to suit flying styles till they felt rite.

Enjoy your new model they fly superbly.
Thanks for your info.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
I just got one from Horizon.........haven't built it yet but, I've looked it over and fitted the pieces together. It will build very light......no doubt the battery has to be in the nose to get close to CG..........not sure the battery will be enough to get it to balance. I would hate to stuff lead in the nose but it might need some. With the tow release set up, there isn't a lot of room in the nose to work with. I'm sure the AUW ready to fly will be less than 7lbs...........not bad for a 10ft wing. The plane is actually built quite well for the money. I was pleased with it.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
Make up a 5 cell sub c RX pack, then you would have some usefull weight.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Hey BNuts,
Agreed. Heavier battery would do it. I'm using 2300mah A123..........if one isn't sufficient I could use two..........overkill I know but, I do hate lead.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
786 Posts
C of G

Don't want to contradict Rossco, because he has a ton of experience, (but I'm about to do so) regarding CG on this aircraft, but as the Ka6, Ka8, ASK18, etc. all have a straight leading edge with a swept-forward trailing edge, the effect is that of a swept-forward wing. In other words, the C of G is further forward than it would be on a wing where the spar sticks out at 90 degrees from the fuselage and the tip rib is nicely in line with the root rib. I've seen a couple of scary maiden flights on ASK-18's where they were balanced at 33% because that is the rule-of-thumb, and it is close to unworkable. For the forward swept wing, I would start at about 28% and work back as you fly the plane and become comfortable with it. Nose heavy works....tail heavy potentially becomes a bag of balsa.

Try this CG calculator when you get your plane:

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg2_calc.htm

CG is not a function of airfoil, it is a function of planform, and this will give you a head start on a successful first flight.

Just sayin'.......

Dave Smith
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
hondaboy92hatch
Joined Feb 2005
718 Posts
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

Joe
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
Sorry I didn't explain that very well 33% of average chord, root and tip but on my ka8 mine is balanced at about 33%. 28% is a good safe starting point though.
Last edited by Big Nuts 181; Apr 14, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:03 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Just got one from Horizon Hobby also. Picked up the white one. Been eying this over on the U.K. site of flea bay. Cost was just astounding to get it over here in the U.S. Finally someone had them here.
Couple of quick questions for you guys. Anyone using micros in the wings and full size in the fuselage, or is it micros all the way around? The instruction show something like HS425BB for rudder and elevator.

Also, has anyone thought about adding blade type spoilers over the standard flip style spoilers? Reasons for either?

Over all the kit looks very well made. Finish is great so far. will keep along for any other news or ideas.
Thanks.

tink
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
USA, TX, Waco
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Look up seagull ka and add Damian, as he has blog on plane
stephen Damon is offline Find More Posts by stephen Damon
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:53 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaboy92hatch View Post
Hi guys,
I am about to buy a 4 meter Seagull KA8. I am wanting to know if the c/g is right on and what servos you guys you are useing in it? I plan to get it in two weeks.

Thanks for any help.
Joe
Hi joe,l have the centre of gravity at the recommended centre of gravity-being 60mm.The instructions have a 10mm margin fore and aft of 60mm.As far as servos go,just use two standard servos (HS 422 deluxe) in the cockpit for rudder and elevator control,and trim the servo tray by a couple of millimetres to fit them.I used HS 82 MG for the ailerons.I also fitted 250mm electric spoilers.I have flown mine off the slope,over 20 flights now,and it could do with a ballast box located in the fuse at the centre of gravity,but if you are only going to aerotow it,a ballast box would obviously not be required.Overall,its a good value for money model,and i enjoy flying it,regards damian
Damian Couzoff is online now Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Thanks Damian! Kinda figured it out and have servos on order. When they get here, it will be time to put this one together. Looking forward to some aerotow this summer. Pretty much a straight forward install and setup.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot