Old Oct 08, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
711 Posts
Discussion
A thank you (dlg related)

Hi guys,

So, even though i'm not new to rc flying, i am new to dlg gliders. This is a really specialized section of the hobby and there is/was a lot to learn, from model selection to building, radio set up, flying and finding lift.

I have asked A LOT of questions. Many people have helped me with model choice and still helped me when i went against what they suggested and i still bought that Blaster 3, helped with radios when after years of using radios with easier programming, i bought a Taranis, and still helping me when i'm asking those type of questions like 'what's everyone else using and flying with' instead of focussing on what i have, and still helped me on days i have been too lazy to Google (i do Google and read ALL the past threads on here)

When learning anything new i have to know as much as i can in the shortest amount of time i can. I've read every thread on here, learn't about models that are not even made anymore etc just to cram as much info into my head as possible. So hence the reason i post a lot and ask questions (maybe stupid ones at times) a lot. So thanks for putting up with all this.

Also thanks for everyone putting up with me ever saying anything about a new model or piece of gear already when i still haven't even got the Blaster in the air. I know the model i have right now is going to see me well, but i also know it's not on the same level as the Vibes, Streams etc and that those models are the direction i want to heading in and as soon as possible, be flying well enough to make use of models like those so, i'm already looking in that direction and planning my next one.

Everyone on this forum has been fantastic and i could not have expected the amount of help and advice that i have gotten.

So for all the past questions and the many more to come that i shall bombard you with, i just wanna say thanks.

Right that's enough soppy stuff, first blue sky after rain all week so far, i'm off out with the Elf before work.

Mark
i_am_mark_evans is online now Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2015, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
662 Posts
You need to get that blast built and find a contest to attend. You'll learn more at a one day contest than you will reading this forum for a year. This is the most commonly made suggestion for new DLG pilots
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Oct 09, 2015, 04:03 AM
Joined Jun 2013
711 Posts
That's exactly the way i'm heading =)

Hoping to get in a few contests next year now, even if i have enter with the Blaster
Old Oct 09, 2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by wdwimbish
Wayne Wimbish
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Aug 2008
412 Posts
Don't discount the ability of your Blaster, it is still a very capable design. Keep it in one piece and it will take you far.
wdwimbish is online now Find More Posts by wdwimbish
Old Oct 09, 2015, 07:40 PM
Joined Jun 2013
711 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words. I just thought the Blaster was a bit dated and a bit 'soft' compared to the newer models on the market these days. But it's my first 1.5m model and i love it =)
Old Oct 09, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
17,108 Posts
The Blaster will be just fine for your first contest. You are overthinking this. Unless you are some kind of DLG prodigy you won't be winning your first contest anyway. Just use the first contest to get to know folks and learn the flow of contests. Even flying your Elf would allow you to accomplish those objectives.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 10, 2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
United Kingdom, Banstead
Joined May 2013
553 Posts
Hi mark look forward to seeing you at some of the UK comps (you are in the UK?) it's a great way to learn and the guys really are friendly. Are you on the bar a forum? It's where flyquiet has gone..

Dave h
DizzyDuck is offline Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
Old Oct 10, 2015, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2013
711 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yeah i made it over to BARCS, i was due to come spectate a couple of rounds this year and meet everyone but in the end i couldn't make it and the one i never attended as i thought rain would stop play in the day.

But once the season starts again next year i'm planning on getting in as many rounds as possible. I don't even know the rules of the comps or how the tasks work etc etc, so i have a lot to read up on and a lot of practice to put in, flying in all weathers so at least i'm a little prepared

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
United Kingdom, Banstead
Joined May 2013
553 Posts
I wouldn't worry about studying the tasks, the experienced guys are happy to timekeep and talk you through the tasks live as you fly , just come along and fly, kit will bring a whole new level of enjoyment to the sport
DizzyDuck is offline Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
Old Oct 11, 2015, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
18,673 Posts
With the Taranis you can install the F3K training script and practice almost all of the tasks. As far as I know no other radio can do this.
(JR28X with F3k Master installed might be close, but not as well integrated.)
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 11, 2015, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
711 Posts
Awesome, thanks guys!

The Taranis is pretty awesome at what it can do!