New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by DHG500
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Scratchbuild 1:10 Fleet 50K Freighter

I am planning to build this Fleet 50K Freighter (land version) in a 1:10 scale (width: 1,37 m or 54") from scratch in balsa.

Currently sizing things up with SketchUp from the 3-view drawing.

Still wondering on the correct angles of fuselage, wings and stab.

Looking at available photo's I think I can make life easy and use the Clarck Y profile, even with this inverted gull wing configuration on the lower wing.

Setup will be something like 2pcs 100gr. BL 1400 kV on 3s lipo and 2pcs 25A ESC and 10x5" props (approx. 11,5" groundclearance available). She'll be a slowflyer (like the real thing).

I think of putting in 4 servo's in the wings, one for each aileron (size approx. 11x2"). How strong do you reckon the'll need to be?

Also open to any other (constructive ;-) ) suggestion.
DHG500 is offline Find More Posts by DHG500
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,043 Posts
Now that's a plane with real character, with or without floats.

I did a search to find some more pictures, and came across this one of a model. It looks like it's used as a weather vane, and mighty cold at the time, icicles hanging from it ?

I'm envious, wish I had spotted that one

Solid model of the Fleet 50k
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Don't envy, join the building fun. I could learn from you.

'Bout the weathervane; I knew that picture but thanx anyway. Too bad though that the registration belongs to a 1951 Beech C35
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,033 Posts
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG500 View Post
Don't envy, join the building fun. I could learn from you.

'Bout the weathervane; I knew that picture but thanx anyway. Too bad though that the registration belongs to a 1951 Beech C35
It will have to go on, 'the list' I'm afraid, but not far down it, possibly third. Probably a touch bigger
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 PM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
how much bigger? And 'leccie or IC?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by 4stroker
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
I am planning to build this Fleet 50K Freighter (land version) in a 1:10 scale (width: 1,37 m or 54") from scratch in balsa.

Currently sizing things up with SketchUp from the 3-view drawing.

Still wondering on the correct angles of fuselage, wings and stab.

Looking at available photo's I think I can make life easy and use the Clarck Y profile, even with this inverted gull wing configuration on the lower wing.

Setup will be something like 2pcs 100gr. BL 1400 kV on 3s lipo and 2pcs 25A ESC and 10x5" props (approx. 11,5" groundclearance available). She'll be a slowflyer (like the real thing).

I think of putting in 4 servo's in the wings, one for each aileron (size approx. 11x2"). How strong do you reckon the'll need to be?

Also open to any other (constructive ;-) ) suggestion.
One of the most intriguing planes I've seen . Love to see it fly someday . . . walt
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
but please don't hold your breath
I'm glad when I am actually building this bird coming spring.

And I agree, it's intriguing to see. I somehow love plane, bold workhorses, whether they fly or drive (on two or four wheels, can you guess them? ).

It's a shame only five were ever build and only the shattered remains of a crashed one rest in the depot of an Canadian Aviation museum.
I love the versatility for odd-sized and shaped loads in a time when those loads were not catered for.

opening side and bottom cargodoor

opening front bottom cargodoor

opening bottom cargodoor

opening rear cargodoor

One could wonder the structural integrety with all those gaps in the fuselage .... I couldn't find any complaints of this kind 'though.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
....and please feel free on giving good advice regarding setup end wingprofile (esp. because of the inverted gull wing layout).
I expect this model to weigh approx. 2,9 kgs ready for flight with a length of 1,1 m and wingspan of 1,37 m.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,033 Posts
Quote:
....and please feel free on giving good advice regarding setup end wingprofile (esp. because of the inverted gull wing layout).
I expect this model to weigh approx. 2,9 kgs ready for flight with a length of 1,1 m and wingspan of 1,37 m.
From the photos, the wing section appears to be rather flat-bottomed. I wouldn't say "Clark Y," as it does not appear to be so. If anything, it has a very slight undercamber, similar to the USA 35B, I think.

As for the lower wing structure, I'd simply go with a simple lap joint or the like at the bend. I notice a very short "flat" bit at the apex of the bend where LG or floats would attach...

My 2˘

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:24 AM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Hi James,

thanx for your two cents

I stumbled upon this website that states that the Fleet company mostly used Clark Y profiles (see below). Too bad it didn't mention the 50K.
Fleet 1 Clark Y (15%)
Fleet 11 Clark Y (15%)
Fleet 2 Clark Y (15%)
Fleet 7 XPT-6 Clark Y (15%)
Fleet 8 Clark Y (15%)
Fleet 80 Canuck NACA 23012 mod
Fleet 9 Clark Y (15%)

The USA 35B seems almost identical to the Clark Y the upper camber is a tad higher and the lower camber seems a bit more hollow. See below for a figure from an Cub's wing discussion)

About the 'flattend' lower apex, I share your observation.
Please explain your suggestion for the simple lap joint at the bend. I was thinking of a five piece lower wing with simple angled wingjoiners. Thanks beforehand!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
how 'bout differences between top and bottom wing?
Different profile, different angle (as a countermeasure against different momentum due to their distance to GC)?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:22 PM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Well, for the time beiing I´ll stick to the Clark Y (13%) with a neutral lower angle of incidence for the lower wing (bottom camber in line with fuselage bottom) and a negative angle of incidence (of bottom camber in comparison to the angle of the lower wing) of one degree for the top wing. (are you still with me? ).

I am glad to disclose there will be another Fleet50K builder in the Europe continent coming winter. I know the chosen scale and building material but I think it's up to this person wether or not to tell more about it. I'll keep in touch with this person; that's for sure.

Last weekend I've already bought materials to try the rough outline of the fuselage and wings so when the drawings are developed enough I'll give the building green light.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:30 AM
Balsa basher
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Currently I am working out how to recreate the door/hatch locking mechanisms (scale-like). Since photo's are my only source I sometimes can't work things out on my own.

Take this loading hatch below. Can anyone please explain (preferably with other pics, sketches and/or drawings) how this hatch would have locked close? And how does one operate it?
The round bar along the bottom of the (closed) door seems to have a row of equally spaced tabs. Would these tabs interlock with some of the holes in the doors (reinforced?) underside? From the inside (second photo) I can't recognize any handles or so.

Thanks for any light on this subject!

Last edited by DHG500; Jan 04, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,858 Posts
I wanted to do one of those a couple years back but my design skills are next to non-existent so never did it.
Think they used one in Canada.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy