New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Joined Feb 2007
4,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa38 View Post
Switch to a O.S. "F" type plug, and you could probly get down to 1900-2000 rpm. I got 1850 on my .56 with a Bolly 13X6.5" prop.
I keep a couple OS-fs here and now and then I have switched one out with just every plug known to man, they never change anything. They're just an ordinary run of the mill plug, based on my experience. The Fox Miracle is day in and day the most dependable plug.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2007
4,004 Posts
Bernard, I tried to find those props you have but I forgot the name, it was AO or OA or something similar.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by los36
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW View Post
Currently have ambitions to own one of the Saito 3-cyl radials, whatever I can afford, then I'll figure out what model to build around it. Anyone running Saito radials?
Saito 170R3.
The video and sound quality aren't the greatest. There are a few good moments of video after startup however. A leisurely pass around 5:10 and a full throttle pass at 6:25.

Seagull Sea Fury with Saito radial engine (8 min 4 sec)
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old Feb 07, 2016, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by BernardW
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by los36 View Post
Saito 170R3.
The video and sound quality aren't the greatest. There are a few good moments of video after startup however. A leisurely pass around 5:10 and a full throttle pass at 6:25.
]
Actually the quality itself was fine, looks like a head-mounted camera, nothing wrong with that and the picture is clear and crisp. The sound itself is clear enough but the problem is it's just at such a low level. EDIT - my bad! I had something set wrong, my fault, I can hear it fine. It's not that bad a recording.

Anyway, I love your model, the 170R3 is exactly what I would like to be using... or of course any 5-cylinder but they cost so much. The Sea Fury is a great subject and deserves such a nice engine. There's another 170R3 on a test stand at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842161
and I'm sure there's plenty more on Youtoob.

I must say, at least half the reason I want one is the *sound!* I mean, what else sounds so good if you're into small engines? In that clip thankfully the music stops before the engine runs. There are plenty of clips of these engines but few have good sound - phone cameras only usually have mic's intended to pick up human voice so there's not much bass and it's not designed to record at a distance either, plus there's no protection from wind. IME real iPhones and the more expensive Samsungs seem to have the best mic's (for a phone). Actual video cam's generally have decent sound these days too. This clip sounds quite good (FA-325 R5) but once again it's very quiet; if your system allows some boost then it's clear and sounds great:
Saito FA 325 R5 in H9 P-47 (0 min 49 sec)

But my favourite model engine video for engines and engine sound, in fact the best "engine pron" I'm aware of, has to be this, and I apologise in advance it's not Saito but honestly that *sound*!! You'll get it once you hear it:
20ft. B-25 Mitchel 2x400cc Moki - Maiden (7 min 8 sec)

2 x Moki 400cc 5-cyl, it's really something. That's awesome, and the model itself is a masterpiece IMO. If it wasn't for the Mitchell those two fighters would be show-stoppers in their own right but they're totally overshadowed by that bomber, and flying in formation that's quite a team.

Next best must be:
Airworld Geebee R3 with Evolution 260cc radial engine maiden flight (8 min 35 sec)

It's an Evolution 260cc, not sure if that's a 7 or 9 cyl. but sonically it blows me away. I mean, it's just over a quarter of a litre capacity, even that B-25 between both engines is well under one litre, but it sounds better than some big cars. When the operator guns it, ga-RUM! g-g-g-g-gRUM!! It's so good I think if I bought one I'd probably never get around to building a model for it, I'd just have it on the test stand gunning it and pulling strangers off the street demanding they agree with me, "doesn't that sound great?? Huh? Doesn't it?" The Evo's in a Hangar 9 GeeBee R3 and to me that's a deserving model for an engine like this, it looks like a fantastic combination.

I just want a round engine that sounds like that when you gun it... now I just need 5 grand to go buy one and probably that much again by the time I get a model in the air with it. Even the 3-cyl, Saitos, particularly the larger ones, have that magic, and they're much more affordable, maybe even for me. I have to say the FA-325 R5 appears to be great value for what it is, in that class of engine it's by far the cheapest and is obviously another fine, wonderful beast I would be thrilled to have, or even just use. Is it just me or do others find a special magic in these top-of-the-line engines? Dare I say it in this thread but that OS radial has a lovely note too.
BernardW is offline Find More Posts by BernardW
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:05 PM
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Bernard, I tried to find those props you have but I forgot the name, it was AO or OA or something similar.
I first heard about it by reading the Bolly website, which is still there even though they are not.The factory in China is Hao Ye, AFAIK that's pronounced "Wah Yay" or "Wah Yee" but if anyone really knows, please correct me. I didn't keep the link but someone directed me to their site and it was amazing, many many pages, thousands of products, they make every last piece of hardware for every aspect of models. It looks to me as if Hao Ye are continuing most of the other old Bolly product lines too; the props on the site I *think* are from the old moulds are the BL- series, that's a give-away surely.

I go to the store sometimes where I got that prop, my favourite LHS, and they should be able to show you the list of distributors. The main guy there knows a lot about Bolly and Hao Ye, I can tell you that much. Their contacts page should get you started if you're interested:
acercmodels.com

The proprietor there told me the story of that factory going into production with the Bolly moulds, and it tallied with the story on Bolly's site. He also showed me how those ones still have Bolly moulded into the hub so you can tell which are which. Nice to know Mr. Bollenhagen's designs are still available.

If it comes down to it and you can't find them in the USA, at least you know there's this place as a last resort. I go there a bit, if you want me to pick one up for you I'd be happy to. I doubt it's the most efficient method but if all else fails, PM me any time.

EDIT - I found:
http://www.haoyemodel.com/index.php?l=en
You can see it's a big site, I haven't gone through it for a distributors page. I noticed that at some LHS's there are parts that look identical under different brand names, but can be found on the Hao Ye site, so maybe they are the OEM - either that or they're shameless copiers. If you look at their pages of retract equipment (many pages full of many, many parts) it all looks pretty familiar! Same goes for a lot of that site.

See the banner with photos that slides between 3 pictures right at the top? Press the "3" button, what does that look like to you? These might be our props and those very moulds. This is definitely the maker, just need to find your nearest distributor who can direct you to a stockist. I hope Len is still getting a few bucks from these designs one way or another.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:42 AM
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW View Post
...Started first flick and straight into idle at 1,300, no warm-up. I've been able sometimes to get it to sit below 1,400, I've just had it do a full minute at 1,200 by my tach no problem straight after the day's first start
I tried but I couldn't do it again. It will idle between 1300 and 1400, but I couldn't keep it running any slower. I mean, that's pretty low, but I wonder what could have allowed that slow idle straight off the first flick today, without even warming up. Could that be the reason, that it was cold? Today is *stinking* hot, it's 42 C outside (108 F), but at that time it was a lot cooler. Any ideas?

Question 2, the weather reminds me. I ran it and it was getting hot, 37 or 38 (about 100 F), and the engine showed signs like it was now a little rich. Does that make sense? I set these mixtures in much milder conditions, about 25 C / 77 F. so is that enough difference in ambient temp. to noticeably affect tuning? I'm asking because this is all pretty new to me, I tuned it on the day following instructions and everything was fine, just great in fact, but what will happen when conditions change? Today humidity is very low, 9%, I don't know what it was that day I set the mixtures but higher, I think I remember some days being about 50% or more around then.

I noticed light but constant white smoke today, usually I'd only seen it before when I moved the throttle, then it would settle out. In the relentless sun today I could see little glistening drops of oil from the exhaust on my stand (thank you fuel-proof coating). Sounds like running a tad rich to me, is this correct? I'm just curious, what would these changes in weather from when I set mixture to now do, is this normal? It's still running just as nicely, but it "felt" a fraction rich and there was that wisp of smoke. What would I normally expect, and what if any changes would I have to make if it's suddenly much hotter than when the mixtures were set before? How about if it gets a whole lot colder? (I could conceivably move somewhere cold, I hate the heat!).
Old Feb 08, 2016, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by Slopemaster
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2015
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Anyone try running to lines from the tank on Saito 90 T twins instead of the Y and single line to the twin carbs? If so did it help even out the run any? Thanks for any replys as I have been thinking of trying this just to see if it makes a difference.
I had the same problem with my 90 twin w/ twin carbs. It would not draw enough fuel with the model held in the vertical position.

I fixed it by getting rid of the fuel-T and using dual clunks in the tank, one for each carb.

After that I would have a problem with one cylinder dying in flight during low throttle setting. This issue probably could have been resolved with an on board glow starter system.

Although the Saito 90 Twin was a cool engine, IMHO it didn't have much power and it was very heavy.
Slopemaster is online now Find More Posts by Slopemaster
Old Feb 13, 2016, 09:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
4,004 Posts
It turned out that the previously mentioned Saito .65 was too long for the new GP Big Stick 40 I bought for it. I stole my Saito .62 from an LT 40 and it sits on there perfectly. I like to side mount engines and I lucked out, the bolts holes in the firewall are placed for verticle or side mounting.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,252 Posts
Just a quick "heads-up" on Saito engines that seem to be "going away"...

Dear Fellow Saito Four-stroke Fans:

The PIPE Here...not very long ago an Aussie fan of Saitos here at RCGroups indicated a number of the GLOW plug Saito single-jug mills were going out of production...all the "semi-inline" TI-suffix twin-jug mills were also on the list, as was the 90TS opposed twin.

The thread I'm hinting at is linked HERE...just for your reference!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Feb 13, 2016, 03:26 PM
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster View Post
I had the same problem with my 90 twin w/ twin carbs. It would not draw enough fuel with the model held in the vertical position.

I fixed it by getting rid of the fuel-T and using dual clunks in the tank, one for each carb.

After that I would have a problem with one cylinder dying in flight during low throttle setting. This issue probably could have been resolved with an on board glow starter system.

Although the Saito 90 Twin was a cool engine, IMHO it didn't have much power and it was very heavy.
When one cylinder died would that happen with plenty of fuel left or only near the end of a flight? I hasten to add I have zero experience with twins but I was wondering if only one clunk was picking up fuel due to the model not being perfectly flat in flight and the tank running low... just a guess.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by 3dFlyingMaster
Lower!!!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Dec 2014
647 Posts
Hey guys, I got a lot of PM's about the Saito 100 I have that I want to sell for parts. I am ready to sell it, I am going to sell the plane as well, but I would rather sell the engine here. Remember, I am selling it as-is and it is a parts engine.

Whoever wants it send me a PM and the best offer has it!

Buyer pays shipping, I will take the PP fees.

Thanks,
Chris
3dFlyingMaster is online now Find More Posts by 3dFlyingMaster
Old Feb 14, 2016, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by jtalley10
Warbird Willie
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Jul 2012
311 Posts
Here's some pics of the FA270T I got from an estate sale. Adrian at CH Ignitions has it for checkout and conversion to gas. Said he will be running it up next week. Sure is pretty!!

Jim
jtalley10 is offline Find More Posts by jtalley10
Old Feb 14, 2016, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
United States, OR, Cornelius
Joined Mar 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalley10 View Post
Here's some pics of the FA270T I got from an estate sale. Adrian at CH Ignitions has it for checkout and conversion to gas. Said he will be running it up next week. Sure is pretty!!

Jim
Nice !!!!!
FlyawayClyde is offline Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by widj
Joined Jun 2011
44 Posts
I'm looking for new Saito FA-40A, how about this store? It's recommended? Thank you.
https://www.hobbyzone.com/saito/SAIE040A.html
widj is offline Find More Posts by widj
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
United States, NY, Barryville
Joined Jun 2012
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by widj View Post
I'm looking for new Saito FA-40A, how about this store? It's recommended? Thank you.
https://www.hobbyzone.com/saito/SAIE040A.html
I've never ordered from them. Why not just buy it from Horizon Hobby? If you ever need warranty repair, they'll be the one you send it to anyway.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk