SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Air Hogs Airliner preview

Here is a preview of the Air Hogs Airliner "A" Model. I'm not finished with it yet. About 90% complete. Need to wire up the twin edf's and include an external bec. Add decals, etc.- Hawk

Will repost when she's complete and ready for maiden.

dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Here is a preview of the Air Hogs Airliner "A" Model. I'm not finished with it yet. About 90% complete. Need to wire up the twin edf's and include an external bec. Add decals, etc.- Hawk

Looks nice! Make sure you calibrate the two ESCs and do some taxi testing to see if you are getting equal thrust from the two EDF's. You could get considerable yaw if they aren't balanced thrust with the nacelles that far out on the wings.

Your channel assignment in the prior post showed only one CH for the ailerons and two for the elevators. Is that correct? You mentioned you have flaperon programming in your TX, but you'd need the ailerons on two different channels for that, not the elevators.

Anyway, good luck on the maiden. Shoot some video if you can!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Tom, my bad. Yes, two channels for the ailerons(1&6). The elevators are on on channel with a y connector.

I am concerned about the thrust line and the cantelevered pylons.The E-flite Airliner is set up this way so I went the same route. The thrust line has a few degrees of down thrust. We'll see. With the gear, there's not a whole lot of ground clearance. Hope its not a grass catcher. Not 100% confident that this will work at all. That's why I call it the "A" . Dang, I would hated to have been the test pilot on some of the prototypes. If it does not go well, at least the "B" airframe is in an unopened bag.-LOL I'll have a rescue and salvage crew standing by.

In retrospect, I could have have located the retracts and motors about 1.5 inches closer to the fuse. With the clipped wings they are "out there" Changes for the B in the works.

Thanks again !

Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
looks pretty slick; best of luck with maiden

[QUOTE=dahawk47;21886829]Here is a preview of the Air Hogs Airliner "A" Model. I'm not finished with it yet. About 90% complete. Need to wire up the twin edf's and include an external bec. Add decals, etc.- Hawk

Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Thanks Razor !

Ordered a 6amp UBEC today after much debate. Will add some decals, earth magnets for the two hatches, then run a ground taxi test before attempting maiden. Pretty heavy wing loading. I did use some short CF tubes to connect the two wings through the fuse.Lots of colored packing tape on this bird to help stiffen her up.. Yes, it adds weight but I'm thinking I'll have more than enough power to overcome this weight compromise.

CG should be interesting.

I'm hoping for a nice rollout to V1, rotate, positive rate, gear up, contact departure...

-Hawk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, WI, Kenosha
Joined May 2011
64 Posts
You're gonna do the decals and such before the maiden? I heard thats bad ju-ju, LOL.

I wish you the best of luck bud. I gotta say, she's very pretty. If she flies half as good as she looks, you'll be in business. Either way, nice work!!!

I didn't see, you gonna vid the maiden?

Rikter
Rikterscale is offline Find More Posts by Rikterscale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Rickter,

I've heard that also but I figured I might as well dress her for the dance as it could be her last dance-LOL Awiting Ubec so I can wire her up and get her started. Hopeful for next weekend and I'll have someone on video for this major event.

Best,

Hawk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Hawk!!!

That looks awesome!!! Best of luck on the maiden! Looks like she could do a vertical takeoff by just pointing the nose up!! i have a problem with pre-painting birds before their maiden as well! I think just like you -- if shes gonna go down, at least she will look her best! I've also found that when I don't paint a plane, they tend to stay that way after the maiden!

Were you able to test the thrust lines? I think your motor power will overcome any weight issues -- you'll have to make up with speed! Don't slow down too much in the turns! Flaps might help...they may also help get you into the air quicker due to placement behind the engines.

What is your AUW?

Once again, great job on a beautiful bird!!! Eagerly awaiting the maiden!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Hey Mr. Nice,

Thanks ! Coming from the Kelly Johnson of the Titan World, that's a nice compliment. No paint, all 2mil colored packing tape. Lost my little fish scale but's probably pushing 2#. Not really sure. Hoping for a short take off roll and yes, I think I am going to program flapperons on this one. Not sure how much degree of flap I'll have or for that matter need. On my Futaba, it's only a two position(on/off) switch. Checking to see if I can program the rate that the flaps deploy so it's somehwat scale looking..Was thinking about flapperons even on the tractor version single as a way to slow her down on approach.

Still have some putzing to do with CG, magnets,etc. and also some ground taxi tests once I get the motors wired properly. Expecting Ubec next week. Got harrassed into including this versus the the linear bec. 5 servos plus the electric retracts? Okay, I buy into that.

If this one augers, I have the "B" model in the hangar-LOL

I will post a vid of the big event in the next week when I get back from travels.

Stay tuned? P.S. How's your latest build coming along?

-Hawk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
LOL!

Packing tape! Looks great! I've only used the clear stuff to cover/protect paint, but the colored stuff looks great! May have to try that!.

I don't know much about the whole UBEC thing - something I definitely need to read up on.... My ESC's are usually way overrated for the motor so i am hoping that gives me a little wiggle room (?)

The Titan Sport Jet REMIX is coming along pretty good. Slow, but good. I've made a few changes from the original that will make it easier to "customize" according to the builders wishes. I'm measuring everthing, taking pics, and making templates as I go. Hopefully I will get some more time this weekend to work on it!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
...Here's a few pics of the model in progress.
There's a 70mm EDF in there! Templates will accomodate both 64 and 70mm setups... only difference will need to be the size of the exhaust and the inner radius of the EDF "Holder". The inlet opening is adequate for both 64 (approx 110%FSA) and 70mm(approx 95%FSA).

Wings are from the original build - just for show. This model will have its own wings -- possibly with flaps!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Very cool ! Love the anhedral on the tail. With the belly scoop it looks like a hyrid of a f-16 Falcon and F4 Phantom II Look forward to the final product . If it's anything like your last one, she'll be a screamer !

Everytime I go to add something or make a tweak , I feel like I'm taking one more step out on the long wooden plank- LOL

Cheers,

Hawk
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,203 Posts
http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.050642...24,-118.081999
fyi, whole bunch of 'em turned up for sale at this one yesterday. i think they were $7 but not positive. may pick one up.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Back from travels and the 6amp UBEC arrived. Looks like I plug the jr connector into a spare channel on the rx. There are two bare wires coming off the same side of the UBEC. A red and black one. I recon I need to tap into the red and black wires from the esc ?

I already have the two red wires and two black wires from the two esc's connected together and merged with a pigtailed ec3 connector. Have removed the red wires from the jr connectors.

Hope I''m doing this correctly.

Anyway, Looking to maiden soon.. Extreme heat here in the DFW area. While I was away, my wife had placed the Titan in the garage and I think the heat may have had an effect on the hot glue. Seems like one of the retracts is a bit loose. At least I want to get to a point of ground taxi testing,running up the motors and getting her pre-programmed before I head off to the field.

-Hawk
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Here's what I do on my planes that have an external BEC (which includes my Titan twin with retracts):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1074

Or you can buy a ready-made thingy that accomplishes the same thing:

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-20...JST-Tap/Detail
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1