HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
So far my experience with the Slicks and Extras lines up with losifanatics's experience. Granted I have not run through the full range of props on both designs, but so far the Slick hovers easier (better?) for me.

Will Andrew Jesky, designer of the 3DHS Slicks and Scott Stoops, designer of the 3DHS Extras weigh in on the aerodynamic qualities (wing loading, incidence, etc.) and flight envelopes of the Slicks and Extras in order to set the record straight?

Also, I want a 42" Slick, 59" Slick, and an 89" Slick to complete my Slick collection. Electric and orange scheme is preferred! Please contact me if you have one or more of the above Slicks for sale or trade.
I loved my 59 Slick on Motrolfly power. It was sweet until it blew up like a baseball hitting a pigeon (Blender mid-air)

If I had the cash, I would get another. But the 71" and the 89" are the essentials, SWEEEEET!
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Slicks and Extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
So far my experience with the Slicks and Extras lines up with losifanatics's experience. Granted I have not run through the full range of props on both designs, but so far the Slick hovers easier (better?) for me.

Will Andrew Jesky, designer of the 3DHS Slicks and Scott Stoops, designer of the 3DHS Extras weigh in on the aerodynamic qualities (wing loading, incidence, etc.) and flight envelopes of the Slicks and Extras in order to set the record straight?

Also, I want a 42" Slick, 59" Slick, and an 89" Slick to complete my Slick collection. Electric and orange scheme is preferred! Please contact me if you have one or more of the above Slicks for sale or trade.

I loved my 59 Slick on Motrolfly power. It was sweet until it blew up like a baseball hitting a pigeon (Blender mid-air)

If I had the cash, I would get another. But the 71" and the 89" are the essentials, SWEEEEET!

The Slick is a tough bird! Was your 59" Slick repairable?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,826 Posts
Dude my 59 was a pile of sticks after that mid-air. I have a pic somewhere.......
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
How many people have used the Hacker A60 6XS 28 in this bird.....or is there any?

Just thinking it may be a perfect motor for this bird. It weighs a few ounces more than some others , but being able to still use a big 6S 5000mah - 6000mah battery works out pretty well if you use two for the 89" slick.

Also.....anyone that "is" using this hacker motor in the 71" slick or 74" edge.....what is a good prop for it? 21X10 , 22X10?

Just ordered one of these things up for another bird I'm building that will come out to be about 11 - 11.5lbs.
Mine is in a 70" Slick and I was probably one of the very first people to put a Hacker A60-6XS in any plane in the U.S. as I bought mine they day they arrived at Aeromodel/Hacker brushless....and I really love this motor...I was out flying on Monday, and on two six minute flights, I only used 31% and 33% of mixed flying, (some AMAC type, and some of me "trying" to fly 3D. I use a 20X10 APC (because I had it, and it works great). Lot's of power, will pull out of a hover well....And, I was using 6S 5000mAH packs.

Oh...and when I ordered a motor for my 74" Edge...this is the motor I went with....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 18, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Mine is in a 70" Slick and I was probably one of the very first people to put a Hacker A60-6XS in any plane in the U.S. as I bought mine they day they arrived at Aeromodel/Hacker brushless....and I really love this motor...I was out flying on Monday, and on two six minute flights, I only used 31% and 33% of mixed flying, (some AMAC type, and some of me "trying" to fly 3D. I use a 20X10 APC (because I had it, and it works great). Lot's of power, will pull out of a hover well....And, I was using 6S 5000mAH packs.

Oh...and when I ordered a motor for my 74" Edge...this is the motor I went with....

SteveT
Hey Steve....thanks for the input! The only reason I asked was because I did come across a few people using that motor on some 74" Edge's and it looked like it pulled them around really well. Didn't know if it might be a tad to big for the 71" slick.

I have the original blue RB scheme 70" slick , and will fly that thing until I total it....then replace it with a newer 71" Slick. I have my eyes set on one of those giant Charger RC Fuzions ( big ol' foamy ) which comes in at about 11lbs or so. I figured matching it up with that Hacker and a 21X10......should be a fun combo.

BTW.....flying with a 5000mah pack.....about what length is your flight times on your harder 3D flights?
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
i bought one

will a spektrum ds821 work well for a throttle servo? i've had great experiences with them in the past.

and I plan on using an ibec to only run one pack, like was said earlier. what's a good ibec to use that will accept unregulated life/lipo packs and regulate them for use with a dle ignition module?
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
i bought one

will a spektrum ds821 work well for a throttle servo? i've had great experiences with them in the past.

and I plan on using an ibec to only run one pack, like was said earlier. what's a good ibec to use that will accept unregulated life/lipo packs and regulate them for use with a dle ignition module?
Congrats!!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
Hey Steve....thanks for the input! The only reason I asked was because I did come across a few people using that motor on some 74" Edge's and it looked like it pulled them around really well. Didn't know if it might be a tad to big for the 71" slick.

I have the original blue RB scheme 70" slick , and will fly that thing until I total it....then replace it with a newer 71" Slick. I have my eyes set on one of those giant Charger RC Fuzions ( big ol' foamy ) which comes in at about 11lbs or so. I figured matching it up with that Hacker and a 21X10......should be a fun combo.

BTW.....flying with a 5000mah pack.....about what length is your flight times on your harder 3D flights?
I would love to be able to tell you that, as it would mean I was capable of harder 3D flights.... .... unfortunately, I'm just not that 3D capable.....however, as most real 3D is flown on and off of the throttle a lot, I would say that seven minutes would not be out of line....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
i bought one

This is the ibec that many have been using http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
I would love to be able to tell you that, as it would mean I was capable of harder 3D flights.... .... unfortunately, I'm just not that 3D capable.....however, as most real 3D is flown on and off of the throttle a lot, I would say that seven minutes would not be out of line....

SteveT
Cool Steve. Plan on getting some new packs some time this summer. I only have 5 of the zippy 30C packs left and am planning picking up probably 4 - 6 of those Gen Ace batteries. Cost a little more....but a lot of people swear by them.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Dude my 59 was a pile of sticks after that mid-air. I have a pic somewhere.......
....so was my 68" Velox, I think they both wound up in the same trash can...
rmr24 is offline Find More Posts by rmr24
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr24 View Post
....so was my 68" Velox, I think they both wound up in the same trash can...
Oh there he is. Ha Ha. Good times
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Oh there he is. Ha Ha. Good times
One way to meet new folks.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
ICE 100, 19x10 Xoar, Savox Long Arms (2 sets) on hand.

BEC Pro comes today, 2S packs by tomorrow or Sat....

Motrolfly 4325-380 Just Ordered!!!!!!

1258TG's back in stock by next Wed.

Will just need a couple 6S 5000's and should be good to go!

Now if I can only get some motivation to Hinge the Tail........ Waiting for rainy day this weekend. Too much outside stuff going on around the house.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:49 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
ICE 100, 19x10 Xoar, Savox Long Arms (2 sets) on hand.

BEC Pro comes today, 2S packs by tomorrow or Sat....

Motrolfly 4325-380 Just Ordered!!!!!!

1258TG's back in stock by next Wed.

Will just need a couple 6S 5000's and should be good to go!

Now if I can only get some motivation to Hinge the Tail........ Waiting for rainy day this weekend. Too much outside stuff going on around the house.
sweet setup.youre gonna love it!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1