Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:49 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Hey gents - does anyone have any experience flying without the little winglets on the tip? I'm not concerned about scale appearance, I have other birds for that, just if it really affects flight performance noticably. I continually break mine off moving it around the garage(never while flying) and thinking about just leaving them off and smoothing down the tips with a bit o sanding.
What do you all think?
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
DG 1000 sheared prop shaft

Greetings all !
After being out of rc flying for 30 years and recently giving up my PPL, I have got back into gliders with my purchase in December of the DG 1000 and I'm absolutely loving it !
My first disaster occured last weekend with the prop shaft shearing off during a climb and as a result, chopped up the rms bracket. I have yet to fing the prop as well as the few remaining pieces of bracket !!
My LHS said one cannot replace the shaft only but purchase a new motor instead ! The motor runs 100% !
I've seen another earlier post about how to fix the rms bracket so I'll give that a go but if you guys could please give me feedback about the shaft. I've tried to purchase the replacement prop & rms but Tower Hobbies (where the glider was bought) are out of stock. Help !

Grounded pilot !!!!
Ian 4 is offline Find More Posts by Ian 4
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:56 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Sheared prop shaft

I've attached a pic of the sheared shaft & resulting damage to the rms !!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:03 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
If the shaft is 3mm, then you could make your own. If you can get hold of a busted PC CD/DVD recorder/player, there are 2 shafts in there that are 3mm.
Just cut to size.
The RMS plastic parts can be got as a kit. If you can find them.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Thanks Flypoppa !
Had an old one at work so all done ! I'll take the shafts home & check them for size. A quick question , how is the prop fixed to the shaft - I don't recall that !
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:15 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian 4 View Post
Thanks Flypoppa !
Had an old one at work so all done ! I'll take the shafts home & check them for size. A quick question , how is the prop fixed to the shaft - I don't recall that !
Nut on shaft
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Thanks Lasse
Can you see the sequence ? Prop , washer , then lock nut onto shaft ?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:24 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian 4 View Post
Thanks Lasse
Can you see the sequence ? Prop , washer , then lock nut onto shaft ?
Correct
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Prop

Hi Guys

Is there an alternative prop I could order for the DG 1000 , there seems to be a serious shortage of stock at the moment for a number of parts !
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:50 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, Ísafjörður
Joined Mar 2011
1,124 Posts
Anyone still having fun with your DG?

I'm setting mine up and was wondering about the RMS servo. I'm using Walkera Devo 10 with a 10 channel rx. I have the RMS (not using the mixer) setup on 3 pos mix switch. I'm using a 4 second servo slowdown which works good so the rms doesn't slam down

. In the full up position I am getting some slight servo buzzing. I can lower my travel adjust a little and the buzzing goes away, then cycle again and the buzzing occurs again even with the travel adjust down from 100%. Normal for this servo to buzz because of the strain of holding up the RMS?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Anyone still having fun with your DG?

I'm setting mine up and was wondering about the RMS servo. I'm using Walkera Devo 10 with a 10 channel rx. I have the RMS (not using the mixer) setup on 3 pos mix switch. I'm using a 4 second servo slowdown which works good so the rms doesn't slam down

. In the full up position I am getting some slight servo buzzing. I can lower my travel adjust a little and the buzzing goes away, then cycle again and the buzzing occurs again even with the travel adjust down from 100%. Normal for this servo to buzz because of the strain of holding up the RMS?
I also have this and have never been able to dial it out.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I also have this and have never been able to dial it out.
Thanks Gerry for the reply.

Your RMS servo buzzes too? But hasn't burned up? I'll just dial back my travel adjust and see what happens. I notices even without 100% travel the push of the motor will fully extend the RMS. I just have to make sure the travel % is enough to clear the stopper

I've replaced the stock esc with one I had laying around, Any idea of the amp rating of the stock esc?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Thanks Gerry for the reply.

Your RMS servo buzzes too? But hasn't burned up? I'll just dial back my travel adjust and see what happens. I notices even without 100% travel the push of the motor will fully extend the RMS. I just have to make sure the travel % is enough to clear the stopper
Thats the trick right there. You have to remember that when your setting up travel limits on the RMS, that once the prop is spinning it will pull the pod to it's limit relieving strain on the servo.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,124 Posts
I put the stock motor on the watt meter and spun her up full throttle. 13.5 amps.

The 20 amp esc I put in should be good to go.????