HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:59 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
If those rotors are similar to the sickle\df70 (or 90) they would sound great, I did a low rpm test in an LX F16 last night and it does sound like a really small turbine when used with a high cog motor at low RPM and really good balancing.

If those are DF70\90 rotors then where are you guys getting them from?

I can't find one anywhere.

Regards
Here ya go, here's the link Sergey provided...Fans are from: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...9&pid=A3507979.
Cost is $30.45 each

-Rick
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:53 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Here ya go, here's the link Sergey provided...Fans are from: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...9&pid=A3507979.
Cost is $30.45 each

-Rick
Actually I just need the rotors, I have so many fan shrouds I should be ashamed somewhat.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:00 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Sanded first layer of WBPU and applied second layer. This time diluted with surfactant (windows cleaner).
Sergy, do you have a write up on your technique for WBPU?

I have a lot of it right now and I"m near giving up on it because I can never get it to draw hard enough and look good enough to keep dealing with.

What is the weight of your cloth?

How may layers did you apply to get it that shinny?

Thx in advance
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:18 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Sanded first layer of WBPU and applied second layer. This time diluted with surfactant (windows cleaner).
Looking good, but quite time consuming I guess....
Are you planning to paint it or cover it?

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:11 AM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
399 Posts
Why is nobody here keeping this kind of models unpainted/uncovered? I think covering is not necessary for strength purposes, and with the right kind of paint one or two layers of just paint could be enough. Why are a lot of people here always covering everything? Don't see this negative, I'm truly interested why you are adding weight, what's the gain?

I'm planning on keeping at least the fuselage white (untreated) with stickers, maybe I'll make the wings/stabilizer light grey.
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotor View Post
Why is nobody here keeping this kind of models unpainted/uncovered? I think covering is not necessary for strength purposes, and with the right kind of paint one or two layers of just paint could be enough. Why are a lot of people here always covering everything? Don't see this negative, I'm truly interested why you are adding weight, what's the gain?

I'm planning on keeping at least the fuselage white (untreated) with stickers, maybe I'll make the wings/stabilizer light grey.
Fotor,

I somewhat agree with you- it seems an awful lot of work for little return-other than visually of course. It means added weight, increased approach speeds on landing (without adding slats/flaps to compensate), and only marginally increased structural strength. On the positive side, I would say it saves from hundreds of tiny dings that transport to and from the airfield creates in foam.

I usually only play with the wing- might cover it or glass it- just to get it as clean as possible to producs as much lift as possible. I am all about lift generation and roll response, even on an airliner edf. I have an edf foamy I scratchbuilt as a flight testbed from one of those large kid's hand-thrown gliders. The wings are heavily modified- flaps, washout at the tips, and swept. Covered in monocote, it is absurdly clean. The lift generation, especially with flaps 1, is astounding.

The fuselage I did nothing with and it shows...it is heavily dinged because of it.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:05 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
200 Posts
Quote:

Because then there would be no reason to pay good money for a scale airliner. Scale being the operative word. In reality if it were only the flying characteristics that are desired, an electric glider or non scale foamy would be more suitable.
depronair is offline Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:

You can get away with just painting them, but it'll peel off in most cases. Ya gotta have a base that sticks.Even if ya just do decals, you'll wanna seal them on with something.FODing your engine with your own decal is not cool.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Sickle fan

Sickle fans arrived today. They seem to be a perfect fit for engine pods when lip is removed.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:19 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Man that fan looks great!
Sergey, It may be the angle of the photo but it looks like the fan is way back in the nacelle, instead of being mounted close to the front like other Airliners.
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:01 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Rick, there is a perspective effect for sure in the last picture. Here is the snap shot from the top. From the scale point of view fan seems to be located way too back. But...(!!!) as an engineer I can clearly see why it has to be moved back in this particular implementation. Big Kudos to mr. Ming for making it a smooth transition for 70mm fan without sacrificing aerodynamics and preserving aesthetics as close as possible to a real engine pod!
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Wow those fans are nice
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,721 Posts
We fly three Windrider 737-700 today:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post17118570

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
12 Posts
Which engine do you recommend to HobbyKing?
gianly87 is offline Find More Posts by gianly87
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,721 Posts
Suggest Scorpion HKII2221-8(3595 kv).
This motor is good for 3S and 4S.
Draw 30A in 3S and 35A in 4S.

Scorpion HKII2221-6(4400 kv) is also fine but just for 3S.
This motor draw 52A in 3S.

Ming
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor