HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:05 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Hey Kids Great Stories and Happy late St Patrick's day

Been real busy of course. The Mom has her production of My Grandmothers book being done in this past weekend and and next weekend. So I get to play the Lighting tech Its awesome and fun and the actors and actresses are fantastic. Trying to light scenes and use effects while reading the script is quite challenging as sometimes you get lost in the story while watching, then have to find what page your on and where the actor is so you don't miss the timing to the effect they need. My bro is doing all the sound F X were having a great time and for God's sake if you don't want a mutiny don't ever make the cat meow when the actors are expecting a phone to ring we do laugh quite a bit

Quote:
POG for me ( pilot on ground)
Sorry to hear of the broken Toe K50
I guess instead of KerwinOmega we now have to call you KBBTPOG50 (Kerwin Big Broken Toe Pilot On Ground) 50

Nice Save Stick wow that could have been bad for sure Do you have your fail safe set to full throttle for a reason or was it not set by you and thats just where it was, I messed around with Fail safe a few times on my one and only PCM rx in my ultimate bipe but tried to get it to do slow circles with a very low idle, after a few times it never seemed to ever do slow circles LOL So I just programmed it to death spin with the engine off. I figure if I lose radio contact I want to see the explosion on the ground closer to me than a mile away LOL

Snowdog Congrats on the maiden and in a 15+ wind I am very proud of you now get that Hat cam in activity.

Wayne Nice going for sure I'm loving all these Nice wind flying stories 20-30mph cool That to me is really fun to fly in Not that I like flying in high wind conditions ALL the time or anything but you really get to pull of some pretty fun stuff in those kind of winds that you normally can't do, which is why i look forward to it. its usually pretty windy where we fly and the calm days are extremely rare but on average were around 10 -20 most every week.

DOG man that was some serious Karma but thats when you should have stepped up to the plate and broke that bad Karma Or broke your plane LOL It was probably a good move on your part for sure. I know we have those days but none of us are ever smart enough to say somethings wrong today instead we'll bust all our planes trying to figure out what LOL were just Dumba##'s as we say here in NY LOL

David Cool quick little vid can't wait to see some of the big productions again

Good Luck to all of you in Twister Alley this week it looks like a wide range of destruction warnings. Hope everyone stays safe and well
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMikeofIndiana View Post
Does anyone have recommended Expo for a Showtime 90?
Hi Mike. I don't have a straight answer for you because expo is personal and also varies from radio to radio. However, I would start with about 30% on everything for sport flying and see how you like it. On my 3d planes for high rates I'm using between 60 and 70%. Just put it somewhere and see how it feels to you. If it's too twitchy turn it up if it feels too soggy and you can't get used to it turn it down.

One more note just for kicks is to make sure you turn it the right way. Jr/Spektrum = positive expo. Hitec and futaba are negative. You probably already know that but just in case you didn't there you have it.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I run about 60 percent on mine

Waldo I love your sense of humor.
Now alot of guys don't use expo but with me it's a necessary evil
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Mike, just start at 30%...that's what I use on most of my planes Nate's advice above is spot on as well....
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:32 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
gps will give a slower reading in a dive than actual speed, when flying flat and level

so your actual top speed will not be shown correctly in a dive when useing gps as a measuring tool

gps only gives level ground speed or relative ground speed

I have seen videos of planes with gps doing insane dives, like vertical from way up there and gps shown actually "zero" speed because the plane is in a purfect dive, going vertically towards the earth

your actual top speed will not show correctly with gps
That is why I differentiated between air speed and ground speed. You can get a higher reading by diving to get more speed than you can generate with the prop then flatten out to get a ground speed indication. The gps does just measure ground speed and the more parallel with the ground plane you are the more accurate the speed reading is.

Airspeed can also be misleading since it varies with temp and pressure. So indicated airspeed has to be adjusted.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Here is the manual http://www.hangar-9.com/ProdInfo/Files/Showtime.pdf

The EXPO is a little by your own tastes. We have guys here that never use expo. I use the manufacturer settings for expo if they offer one.

My Showtime was about 30% low rates and 40% high rates for the maiden. This is about what I use for all maidens. Then I increase or decrease based on how it flies. I also set a MAX rates on my planes and that is around 50% to start. Some planes wind up with very little and others with more. My crazy Corsair 60 will have the rudder set for about 65% next time it is ready to fly!
Last edited by waynemia; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Nice subtle hint.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
DOG man that was some serious Karma but thats when you should have stepped up to the plate and broke that bad Karma Or broke your plane LOL It was probably a good move on your part for sure. I know we have those days but none of us are ever smart enough to say somethings wrong today instead we'll bust all our planes trying to figure out what LOL were just Dumba##'s as we say here in NY LOL
Dont be so hard on yourself, there is deeper reasons
I didnt fly right away <or I would be one of them> since the early spring morning sun is right in your face at out field. That gave me time to get a face burn and watch how bad everything else was going.
Only had one plane with me, had a brought the Rear Bear Reno Foam Racer, it would have taken on the Karma Breaker.
The only plane with me had 3 flights and 2 were not me, its a new Plank Kit I built and I really like it.
Its Twin brother was taking a beating with the gusts now and they, its just a hair over 4 lbs with nitro filled so sort of a knife to a gun fight with that big wing.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Air data is or was my specialty when I worked for King Radio/ Allied Signal.
I do not know if there is an air data computer for rc that looks at air speed and barometric pressure.
While working at Selex they were coming up with some devices that I'm really not allowed to talk about at this time that did not rely on air data.
I only hope that some of this technology will become available for John Q public
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Air data is or was my specialty when I worked for King Radio/ Allied Signal.
I do not know if there is an air data computer for rc that looks at air speed and barometric pressure.
While working at Selex they were coming up with some devices that I'm really not allowed to talk about at this time that did not rely on air data.
I only hope that some of this technology will become available for John Q public
I don't know of anything other than GPS and ram/static for speed for on-board RC.
Last edited by waynemia; Mar 19, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Just thinking, if you have two tires, one 15" and one 20", does the 20" last longer because the circumference is larger and therefore rotates fewer times per 10,000 miles given the same construction in the two tires?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Just thinking, if you have two tires, one 15" and one 20", does the 20" last longer because the circumference is larger and therefore rotates fewer times per 10,000 miles given the same construction in the two tires?
Wow... that is really deep thinking.

does that mean one tire would have more tire surface touching the road then the other, increase traction and weight distribution?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Nice Save Stick wow that could have been bad for sure Do you have your fail safe set to full throttle for a reason
Not on purpose, bad setup, I have checked all fail safes on all planes and all are good except this one, and its been rebound and fixed. Scared the pants of me, and my buddy.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Wow... that is really deep thinking.

does that mean one tire would have more tire surface touching the road then the other, increase traction and weight distribution?
I don't know. Maybe the contact surface area would be the same if the tires have the same construction and width? But maybe not since the radius is greater on the larger tire. Someone probably knows definitively.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
All I know is that truck tires seem to wear faster than car tires. No idea if that has to do with the size or not.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater