HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2001, 09:28 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Looking for Sailplane Suitable for Astro 010......

OK, looking for something a bit different than the pylon or foamy types I have been flying lately. Here's my requirements:

- Pre-built
- Suitable for AF 010
- Small
- Will Thermal
- Somewhat aerobatic
- Decent looks

Is this too much to ask for? Plans are to use 6-10 cells 700mah AAA NiMH cells for power and a suitable folder.

I have been pouring over NE Sail's site and like the the following and wonder if anyone has any experience with one or more:

Mini Floh E - http://www.nesail.com/miniflohelec.html

Softik - http://www.nesail.com/softik.htm

Softik Acro - http://www.nesail.com/softikacro.htm
(I really like this one and weekly special for $99.00!)

Any insight or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2001, 06:31 AM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Steve,

I just finished choosing between these two planes. I went with the Mini Floh E for two reasons. One: The Mini Floh has a canopy which I am hoping will allow for battery changes without removing the wing, and besides, I think it just looks better. Two, the Mini Floh is a good bit smaller which is something I can use, having a bunch of 1.5m and up stuff already.
It should arrive this week it it ships when they said it would (it could happen) and I hope to have it flying within a few days.
Interested in hearing how you decide.

Sotos
Sotos is offline Find More Posts by Sotos
Old May 16, 2001, 02:47 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I'd love a flight report on the Mini Floh E. I had the same thought of an 010, just waiting for someone else to try it first.

Steve, what props do you have in mind? CAM 4.5x4.1, or 6x3 are the only 2 that I know of that are small enough. Not sure how many cells for either prop.

Someone in the classifieds has an e-Wizaed/010 for sale, and claims 60 degree climbouts! I'm gonna write to them for more info.

Keep us posted! MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 16, 2001, 02:52 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Probably the 6x3 unless APC comes out with a better alternative.

60 degree climbouts huh? I can acheive a good 45 degree on my wattage Hawk with 010, 10x700AAA and APC 5.3x3, but that is a bit lighter than these birds... With a gearbox and a good efficient prop and airframe I suppose 60 degree climb is not out of the question.

Good lucks and let us know how it goes!

Steve
Old May 16, 2001, 04:39 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Steve, et al, how many cells can one use with the stock 010 and a CAM 6x3 folder? Maybe 8x720 nimh? 7x600AE? Anyone tell me what an 8x720 pack weighs? If the Mini Floh E is listed at 14 oz with 400 direct and 7x600, an 010 and nimh may get it down to 12 or so. BTW, the seller of the aforementioned Wizard E doesn't have an email listed in his profile. Oh well.

MKH
Old May 17, 2001, 07:08 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
129 Posts
Hi Steve, I have the stock AF010 and was going to try her out with 8-10 AAA Nimh cells in my Hobby Lobby Terry with the hope that the lower wing loading would help in thermal/hang time. However I really like the V tail and wing on the Softik Acro and would go with the Softik because of it's longer and higher aspect ratio wing. The flaperons can be used to change camber AND be used to slow down for low impact landings or hand catches.
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT
Old May 17, 2001, 09:03 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
We stock 8 cell Sanyo 720 mah packs for $24.
They weigh 3.7 ounces with silicone leads.

I gave a gentleman at the local park one of these packs to fly in what looked like a Mini Floh E. He really liked it and bought one more of the packs. I was there flying my Terry with a Sanyo 1600mah NIMH pack. Only weighs a little more than the nicads, and the flights are much longer. I have been very pleased with these Sanyo NIMH packs.

Shawn
eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 20, 2001, 10:58 PM
Kutztown, PA
Joined Feb 2001
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MKH:
Steve, et al, how many cells can one use with the stock 010 and a CAM 6x3 folder? Maybe 8x720 nimh? 7x600AE? Anyone tell me what an 8x720 pack weighs? If the Mini Floh E is listed at 14 oz with 400 direct and 7x600, an 010 and nimh may get it down to 12 or so. BTW, the seller of the aforementioned Wizard E doesn't have an email listed in his profile. Oh well.

MKH
Mike,

I have the WizzardE Listed and I apologize for not having an email listed... I have updated my profile. I have owned the SoftiK Acro and the Wizzard and they are not in the same league. The Wizzard (from DJAerotech: http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/ ) is a competition HLG w/a very light motor setup in the 010 that I have.

The Softik's wings will flutter in a dive... The one I owned actually began to come apart. this will happen when you press a built up Oracover wing for speed... The WizzardE is glass vac bagged blue foam and kevlar and is very strong... Don Stackhouse has thinned the airfoil on the Wizzard considerably so if you point the nose down, it really moves and it handles the wind nicely... this is a thermalling or slope machine, but it is very easy to fly. I have the 4 servos in the Wizzard and with coordinated rudder and ailerons, you will thermal on a dime well coordinated. his is the link to my ad: http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum9/HTML/002328.html

Thanks and good luck,
Dan

p.s. there is another maker of good HLG's that you may electrify too at Maple leaf designs... good airplanes too: http://www.mapleleafdesign.com/

[This message has been edited by dmccoach (edited 05-20-2001).]
dmccoach is offline Find More Posts by dmccoach
Old May 29, 2001, 09:14 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I flew the standard Mini-Floh converted with an AF 010 direct drive this last weekend. I used 7-cell & 8-cell 650 NiMHs. It weighs 11.5 Oz. with the 7-cell. It is very responsive and quick when you want it to move. I need a folding prop and I am looking into the APC folders. I got 15 minutes duration with the 7-cells with plenty of power left. I am using the AF 010 with the proportional controller in this but I am not sure if it is necessary.
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2001, 09:27 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Kasra,

Super report! Having just sold my Sokol, I have some extra funds for this project and am looking hard.

Can you comment on the construction of the Floh? Glue joints look secure, covering tight, etc. I think you may be right - the stock on/off controller on the 010 would probably be a good choice for a small glider such as this. Depends on what you want to do with it and in my case jsut some climbs to thermal height is all I am looking for and enough power to make the landing area.

Did you pick up the floh from NE sail or other source?

Thanks again!!

Steve
Old May 30, 2001, 11:18 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Hi Steve,

I bought the Mini-Floh as NIB from somebody on RCO. The instructions were missing but it was easy to figure out what goes where. I have the standard wing with no ailerons. One wing was quite a bit heavier than the other. I now have 8 inches of 1/16 solder taped along the curvature of the tip until I come up with a more permanent solution. Note that this wing came totally premade and in one piece. I only had to set up the front dowel and drill a hole for the wing bolt.

It can be slowed down for thermal hunting. I like the climb rate with the 8-cells. The battery can be replaced through the canopy. I need a folding prop as I mentioned before. I have set up the brake on the ESC but you can still see the prop windmilling at 1-2 RPS. The motor has stayed pretty cool.

It is a well made plane. I need to put some kind of a skid to prevent scratches in the nice FG fuselage.
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2001, 03:01 PM
Kutztown, PA
Joined Feb 2001
372 Posts
Steve, I truly think you would enjoy the all 'round performance from an electrified all composite HLG... Much more efficient wing and airfoil design, better strength, better thermalling, and speed when you want it. Is there a reason you are shying away from these options?

Dan
p.s. I'm not advertising the one I was selleing, it has already sold... just curious as to your comparison between the Floh and the HLG options.

Quote:
Originally posted by stevem:
OK, looking for something a bit different than the pylon or foamy types I have been flying lately. Here's my requirements:

- Pre-built
- Suitable for AF 010
- Small
- Will Thermal
- Somewhat aerobatic
- Decent looks

Is this too much to ask for? Plans are to use 6-10 cells 700mah AAA NiMH cells for power and a suitable folder.

I have been pouring over NE Sail's site and like the the following and wonder if anyone has any experience with one or more:

Mini Floh E - http://www.nesail.com/miniflohelec.html

Softik - http://www.nesail.com/softik.htm

Softik Acro - http://www.nesail.com/softikacro.htm
(I really like this one and weekly special for $99.00!)

Any insight or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

Steve McBride

[This message has been edited by dmccoach (edited 05-30-2001).]
Old May 30, 2001, 03:16 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Dan,

Cost.

Find me an all composite HLG suitable for this motor and battery that would still give light wing loading and come in under $150.00 and I will seriously look at it.

I have been looking at the likes of the carbon d-lite and such with much interest but my pocketbook is not ready at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help!

Steve
Old May 30, 2001, 03:20 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Dan, some of the composite hlg's are only about 8 oz rtf. If you delete an ounce for the 110 rx pack, then ad in about 5 ounces for a 010, small folder, and 8x720 NiHm pack, you're up to only 12 ounces electrified, maybe 13. Does my math sound right?
One thing I like about the Mini Floh E is the shorter wingspan for doing rolls, and the price tag, otherwise, you're surely correct about the thermalling ability of a true hlg. Does a 60" span hlg roll well? Appreciate all your insights.
MKH
Old May 30, 2001, 03:25 PM
Kutztown, PA
Joined Feb 2001
372 Posts
You are absolutely correct on the weight... [Edit: correction: the battery pack would typically be 350Mah 7 Cell for the 010] How does the wing loading compare to the FLOH? So you are looking for better aerobatics? And you want a higher wing loading and shorter span too... I understand, and, of course, the HLG's are expensive. What type of flying are you looking for? "Somewhat aerobatic..." If you want to roll quickly, I don't think the FLOH is going to get your heart rate up (not since you've flown SP400 racers).

Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by MKH:
Dan, some of the composite hlg's are only about 8 oz rtf. If you delete an ounce for the 110 rx pack, then ad in about 5 ounces for a 010, small folder, and 8x720 NiHm pack, you're up to only 12 ounces electrified, maybe 13. Does my math sound right?
One thing I like about the Mini Floh E is the shorter wingspan for doing rolls, and the price tag, otherwise, you're surely correct about the thermalling ability of a true hlg. Does a 60" span hlg roll well? Appreciate all your insights.
MKH