HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I am getting ready to buy one who has some good deals?
I'm right behind you! I need a replacement airframe. My current TC has.. well.... "seen better days".
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
On my maiden float flight (video a few posts back), I could not taxi downwind with the Taylorcraft without a water rudder. I built a water rudder from scratch. I used a Hanger 9 giant scale aileron hinge. I got a sheet of plastic and cut out a rudder shape. I epoxied on a 4 way servo arm and the hinge. I first drilled #60 size holes and tied the items with heavy duty cotton thread from a sewing store.
I soaked the epoxy into the thread for a strong bond. I used a T-pin for a hinge pin. The floats are sitting in a Styrofoam holder (not part of the float). I painted the rudder and a couple pieces of the homemade cable mount bracket with rust-oleum paint. As you can see it is almost a perfect match.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
This looks pro
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:04 AM
prm10
Houston, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
480 Motor Rattling? HELP!

I was installing the Park 480 1020Kv motor on to my TC. As I was screwing on the motor the right front side of the motor box started to peel or crack off from the rest of the box. I was not sure what to do but being the somewhat of a newbie I started CAing the out of the motor box and that one particular spot trying to make it fit back together. It is still slightly displaced but I maidened anyways and it did not fly quite as easily as most of everyone else's on this thread. I'm still trying to read through this forever long thread but so far have not found anything like this.

Another issue which might have resulted from above is when I get up to about 3/4 throttle the plane has a pretty significant rattle to her which creates a lot of vibration throughout the entire plane. Although I did not get quite to 3/4 throttle it is still concerning to me and would like to know the possible causes of this rattling.

Please help this is starting to become my favorite plane I just need some guidance before I have the confidence to put her back up again.
prmiller10 is offline Find More Posts by prmiller10
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:51 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
Put a bead of Gorilla Glue along the inside corners of the box and into that crack. I used a tooth pick to apply the glue. Check your propeller balance.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:55 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prmiller10 View Post
I was installing the Park 480 1020Kv motor on to my TC. As I was screwing on the motor the right front side of the motor box started to peel or crack off from the rest of the box. I was not sure what to do but being the somewhat of a newbie I started CAing the out of the motor box and that one particular spot trying to make it fit back together. It is still slightly displaced but I maidened anyways and it did not fly quite as easily as most of everyone else's on this thread. I'm still trying to read through this forever long thread but so far have not found anything like this.

Another issue which might have resulted from above is when I get up to about 3/4 throttle the plane has a pretty significant rattle to her which creates a lot of vibration throughout the entire plane. Although I did not get quite to 3/4 throttle it is still concerning to me and would like to know the possible causes of this rattling.

Please help this is starting to become my favorite plane I just need some guidance before I have the confidence to put her back up again.
Its an arf,,i would soak every joint i could reach with cyno as they are not that fussy at the factory,you can get long tips for the cyno bottles or dip wire into the glue and then it will run down the wire onto the joints,,i would cyno that motor box inside and out or it will work loose dude
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, SC
Joined Sep 2010
83 Posts
Eflite Taylor Craft Maiden (4 min 14 sec)

My maiden
dinopilot is offline Find More Posts by dinopilot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
hey dino.
It looked like your control surfaces were pretty touchy! Mine were the same on maiden... I programmed in some expo and all is good now!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:57 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
hey dino.
It looked like your control surfaces were pretty touchy! Mine were the same on maiden... I programmed in some expo and all is good now!
Ye i go for full throws and then soften up the sticks with expo ; )
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, SC
Joined Sep 2010
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Ye i go for full throws and then soften up the sticks with expo ; )
Yea i got it sorted out. I'm less aggressive on the sticks and now I'm doing some scale flights lol.
dinopilot is offline Find More Posts by dinopilot
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
My scratch built rudder worked very nice. Notice how it turns nicely while taxiing. It also takes off and lands nicely. Here is the proof. (A rudder photo is a few posts back). I could not turn at will on the maiden flight before I put on the rudder.
Taylorcraft Float Flight (2 min 4 sec)
Last edited by GCplane; May 14, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Taylorcraft on 27" floats wont take off

Hey guys just tried to maiden my tcraft and I could not get it to come up out of the water.I am useing 27 inch balsa floats .I have the balance point of the wing about an inch forward of the step of the floats .from the prop to the begining of the floats there is approx 6 inch of float .The only thing I can think of is that somehow it is to far back on the floats.When its in the water it sits pretty level maybe a little tilted back.I wasnt able to take any pics but I will try to tomorrow.Any ideas would be appreieated.I am useing the 480 motor with the 12-6 prop so power should not be the issue
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Last edited by racer7696; Oct 21, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:31 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
I am also using a 480 motor in the videos that I posted with an 11x5.5 APC prop. Most likely the wing angle is wrong. When it is sitting in the water the front center of the leading edge of the wing should be about 7/16 inch higher than the center of the trailing edge. Put little blocks under the front legs to raise the nose. I hold a fair amount of up elevator as I increase speed.
When the plane breaks from the water I relax the elevator. Weight is another possibility. My floats are only about 7 oz for both floats and the struts all together. Next time I get my plane down from the ceiling where it is hanging I will try to remember to weigh it again now that I am all done (except I want to add some stripes on the floats.)
Last edited by GCplane; Oct 22, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
596 Posts
if the water has no ripples it also creats a suction that sticks the plane to the water and you also have less lift with no breeze.- but as GC pointed out you need to have the angle the plane sits on the floats correct or it can create a problem lifting off.

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
My scratch built rudder worked very nice. Notice how it turns nicely while taxiing. It also takes off and lands nicely. Here is the proof. (A rudder photo is a few posts back). I could not turn at will on the maiden flight before I put on the rudder.
https://vimeo.com/51848756
Sweet landing dude ;0)