Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:53 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
644 Posts
Question
fly at a club field all the time or do you have an place you go to fly by yourself?

Which would you fly at given the choice, a decent flying field or something like a turf farm or hayfield?
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
564 Posts
The best place I ever flew was the best of both worlds , the club was the " Storm King Soaring Team " , about 15 or so members flying off a sod farm in the Southern Catskill region of N.Y.
Bluegrass as far as you could see . Soaring paradise .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:02 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
I'm not following you. A turf farm is a decent flying field.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:38 AM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
644 Posts
Let me clear up the confusion then.

when i say a decent club field i meant a field set up by a club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
I'm not following you. A turf farm is a decent flying field.

Ryan
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:49 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
I would almost always prefer to fly with other folks so then I guess I would prefer the club field.

Ryan
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:27 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
I do 98% of my flying at our club field. On rare occasion I fly a micro heli or small Quad in the house or a small slow flyer out front of the house, but most of my flying is at the club field.

Most of my flying is on the weekend. I go to the field, spend 4-6 hours there, then come home. So I try to set aside one day a week for flying. And, like Ryan, I like to fly with others. The comrade of flying is just as important to me as the flying itself. This past weekend I maidened a Bubble Dancer and very much enjoyed getting help from the other pilots and letting other people fly it.

Two weekends a year I have the opportunity to fly a 2 day ESL contest at my home field. And about 5 weekends a year I travel to a two day contest at other locations, up to 8 hours away, to fly a 2 day ESL contest. Sometimes my wife comes with me.

I have plenty of opportunity to fly in front of the house and have the appropriate small planes, copters and quad to do so, but I typically don't. Too much chance to hook a tree or bang someone's car or hit one of the neighborhood kids.

I much prefer to fly at a designated flying field.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:44 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
I do 95% of my flying either by myself or with one friend. I would rather fly with a large group but that isn't typically how things work out. I typically fly 3-5 days a week, all year long, but flying sessions are typically short. Many are under 15 minutes and most are under an hour. I fly from about a dozen different parks, schools, and churches.

A few times a year I am able to fly for a full day with a club at a contest. Those are always very nice.

Ryan
Old Jul 01, 2014, 03:08 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
The best place I ever flew was the best of both worlds , the club was the " Storm King Soaring Team " , about 15 or so members flying off a sod farm in the Southern Catskill region of N.Y.
Bluegrass as far as you could see . Soaring paradise .
I too was a member of the SKST until it merged with the Sussex CountyThermal Sniffers, now known as The Orange County Silent Flyers. We still fly I the same region. Not many flyers and often the only one on the field.
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Jul 01, 2014, 03:15 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,478 Posts
Where I live, there are plenty of places to pull over ant toss something or winch it up. There is a club I have thought about joining, $75.00 per year with a (1) time $100.00 initiation payment.

Now for me, it DOES NOT make sense to join and I'll explain why;

1). I fly glider 98% of the time so a flat field for the winch can be found elsewhere for free.

2). When asked about the 100 initiation fee they say it's to help pay for a runway which I'll never use.

3). A slope hill is across and outside of the club field.

4). I can only fly the weekends, so in reality, I will only have 30 or so days that I can actually think about flying. The wind is something else up here where I live so you can safely wipe out half of those 30 flying days due to weather. Now in reality, I have about 15 days to fly at the field. so for the first year, it would cost me $10.00 to fly per day.

Now if I can join with the knowledge that I will never use the runway, ... Why should I have to pay for something I'll never use?

So in reality, ... it's up to your particular situation and as you can see, ... it makes absolutely no sense for me to join the club near my house.
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 12:15 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
Gliders at the club field, 1/2A electrics at home with the dog (open field across street)
RV Winkle is offline Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:18 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
Joined May 2002
3,753 Posts
I don't prefer polarized questions.

Why not enjoy both? As they both have their levels of enjoyment, along with there challenges.

I the past I enjoyed club flying, now, more solitude flying.

As far as the $75 join and $100 initiation/field fee. Ya, I got one like this near me and are not Sailplane friendly.

Imagine, if one could, a Sailplane only club with no dues or fees or charges as all that can, just share
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:16 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Imagine, if one could, a Sailplane only club with no dues or fees or charges as all that can, just share
I guess I am living the dream. Rochester Soaring has no initiation fee, no dues, multiple locations to fly from, holds monthly contests/events, and is only for sailplanes (both string launch and e-launch). Heck, we even have a website. If you are ever in SE Minnesota be sure to stop by. Didn't bring your plane with you on your journey, no problem, you can fly the Radian

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:56 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
I don't prefer polarized questions.

Why not enjoy both? As they both have their levels of enjoyment, along with there challenges.

I the past I enjoyed club flying, now, more solitude flying.

As far as the $75 join and $100 initiation/field fee. Ya, I got one like this near me and are not Sailplane friendly.

Nothing polarized about the question. It simply seeks a report of where you fly. Factual, not polarized.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 03, 2014, 04:55 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
985 Posts
I fly alone all the time. I actually really like it for several reasons:

1. I don't have to worry about waiting for other people on the hi-start or having to clear the sky for someone else to launch.

2. I don't have to watch out for other gliders poaching my thermals.

3. When I want to do a quick-turn launch with my DLG, I don't have to look around for anyone else in the sky.

4. I can wander around the entire field without worrying about someone landing on me.

5. No pointless discussions about the weather or having to compliment someone on their build even when I think it's junk.

There are probably others, but these are just off the top of my head. I wouldn't trade my little private flying field for all the tea in China.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
Last edited by DrewV; Jul 03, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 05:22 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
Joined May 2002
3,753 Posts
That's quite something and increasingly rare and special you have Wayne.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member